How strong is your winch ?

MogLite

Winch blankets at the ready

Plasma rope only - no steel under any circumstances :rolleyes:

Rated shackles strops and hooks.

Bring on the 10,000lb load-cell

31_1_b.JPG

I reckon this will prove how much pull your winch has got ?

For readings over 10,000 I reckon you can keep 4 wraps of rope on the winch and multiply it out from there to get ultimate capacity.

I've had a quick look at some of the figures, and doing it this way, it will measure a H14 upto 17,500lb and an 8274 up to 12,000lb ultimate capacity.

I haven't had chance to dig out figures for other winches yet.

Anyone got a huge sheet of Lexan to stand behind :o

Taking the time to rig something properly at a site day will be the key I think.

A couple of strong trees or a big tree and several vehicles chained together.

I'll have a word with my watch-making co-driver, see if he can fit another hand, which is friction driven to show the max pull.

If Bathtub Pete turns up with his twin motor 8274 and albright solenoids, everyone better bring a fire-extinguisher - bathtubs burn real bad :ph34r:

It would be nice to do it quite scientificly (sp?) and get some figures published for the various winches and upgrades. The dyneenamometer <G> is calibrated.

I guess it would be quite easy to do some drag <groan> races - pull 30' with a 2nd/3rd vehicle chained to the back.

Rated chains greatfully recieved as donations - I lost my last one :(

Maybe we could break a few plasma ropes in the name of science !!

Taking the time to rig something properly at a site day will be the key I think.

A couple of strong trees or a big tree and several vehicles chained together.

I'll have a word with my watch-making co-driver, see if he can fit another hand, which is friction driven to show the max pull.

If Bathtub Pete turns up with his twin motor 8274 and albright solenoids, everyone better bring a fire-extinguisher - bathtubs burn real bad :ph34r:

It would be nice to do it quite scientificly (sp?) and get some figures published for the various winches and upgrades. The dyneenamometer <G> is calibrated.

I guess it would be quite easy to do some drag <groan> races - pull 30' with a 2nd/3rd vehicle chained to the back.

Rated chains greatfully recieved as donations - I lost my last one :(

Maybe we could break a few plasma ropes in the name of science !!

I've got some BIG rated chains at home somewhere; the type used for recovering light armour.

I like the idea of testing some Plasma to get some decent figures. You'd need a big winch, though. Que Mr Barker ;)

I'd love to have a go but it's a bit far....

Be interesting to see some figures though :)

What would the test be, pull to a stall, pull till something breaks, pull till ???

I guess you can't really rig a "rolling load" to see how far a winch can pull the load which would also be interesting :)

"I guess you can't really rig a "rolling load" to see how far a winch can pull the load which would also be interesting :)"

I think you CAN rig a 'rolling road', and you do really need a spectacle of something moving, more than just a dial needle.

Have you heard of 'Tractor pulling'?

They seem to use a load hitched to the back of the tractor. This load gets 'heavier' (requires more pull) the further the tractor travels down the course.

I don't know how it's done, or what the course surface is, but I assume some assiduous Googling will find routes to answers.

HTH

In the name of science you also want one of these for the electric winches:

i410.jpg

Andy I believe DH has one, and I'm sure he'd be up for this too.

I've got one already - measures up to 600A DC B)

Should be able to do battery draw and alternator output too

Hydraulic owners better bring fluid and spare pipes - I'm right out of them !!

Have you heard of 'Tractor pulling'?

They seem to use a load hitched to the back of the tractor. This load gets 'heavier' (requires more pull) the further the tractor travels down the course.

I don't know how it's done, or what the course surface is, but I assume some assiduous Googling will find routes to answers.

HTH

Affetcively a sleigh with a large weight on it. As the sleigh moves forward a wheel and chain arrangement moves the wieght forward on the sliegh placing more load at the front and increasing the drag.

Downside for winch testing is which performance is very dependent on number of wraps so it would be difficult to compare like with like as winch performance will deteriorate at different rates as the truck moves forward and the wraps increase.

Sounds like a great idea Andy. There's a Shire event at Brick Kiln soon?

Downside for winch testing is which performance is very dependent on number of wraps so it would be difficult to compare like with like as winch performance will deteriorate at different rates as the truck moves forward and the wraps increase.

That's what I was thinking, as dependent on the wraps will then determine the "lever length" and the "torque" (force per set distance) that is being generated at the winch. Unless you accurately measure the lever length you will not be able to multiply-out over 10k to get the other "wrap level" pulls. :)

Yeah, I was thinking about normalising it for different amounts of cable spooled on the drum (or different drum diameters). Maybe the best way is to do it fully spooled out (i.e. nothing on the drum), then it's just the manufacturers winch you're testing (so maybe different size drums, but that's fixed), not affected by different amounts of rope between different winches.

Al.

Yeah, I was thinking about normalising it for different amounts of cable spooled on the drum (or different drum diameters). Maybe the best way is to do it fully spooled out (i.e. nothing on the drum), then it's just the manufacturers winch you're testing (so maybe different size drums, but that's fixed), not affected by different amounts of rope between different winches.

Al.

Trouble with that is, a lot of winches will pull more than the 10,000lbs of the gauge.

I've found figures for some winches that give pulling power on the various wraps.

Compare these figures with the ones the gauge gives and you'll have a useful comparison against manufacturers figures.

Standardising on all tests with four wraps on the drum would be fair and avoid having 100+ foot of plasma lashing around.

I did find a 20 tonne load cell, but that sold for about £450 which is a bit much for a bit of fun/experiments

Trouble with that is, a lot of winches will pull more than the 10,000lbs of the gauge.

I've found figures for some winches that give pulling power on the various wraps.

Compare these figures with the ones the gauge gives and you'll have a useful comparison against manufacturers figures.

Standardising on all tests with four wraps on the drum would be fair and avoid having 100+ foot of plasma lashing around.

I did find a 20 tonne load cell, but that sold for about £450 which is a bit much for a bit of fun/experiments

Yeah sure, makes sense - ensuring the same amount on every drum will effectively do the same thing. I guess you'd have to do as many wraps as it takes to get the strongest (most torque) winch down within the range of the test device, then apply that drum setup to the others.

Now, who's got the strongest winch... :P:D

Al. :ph34r:

Sounds like it would be fun to watch... but how are you going to get over the Shires "you can join on the day but you cant play" rule

if people come to watch the winch comp and they arent members they will want to get their moneys worth and "have a go" round the site.

Just a thought?

I only said site day - you are assuming Shires - I wasn't.

I don't think too many spectators is a good idea in-case anything goes flying.

I only said site day - you are assuming Shires - I wasn't.

I don't think too many spectators is a good idea in-case anything goes flying.

I didnt assume anything , i think it was LR90 that mentioned it to you?

I agree spectators arent a good idea, i said IF people came to watch (cause you will get people who want to)

And yes it would be fun to watch.

Maybe a video of the event?

Respect.

Mandy. :D