Cooking Food on a 300TDi Manifold

All,

Given the current fashion in some quarters for relatively long slow low temperature cookery, I want to try cooking on the TDi manifold as part of expedition preparation. Tom Sheppard does not mention it in my 2nd edition, so I was wondering:

Anyone have any consistently successful recipes ?

Anyone know of any cooking containers which can easily and reliably be fixed into the available space ?

Are there any tried and tested do's and don'ts ?

Regards

Richard

Regards

Richard

Yep always remove the plastic wrappers first :rolleyes:

Manifold Cuisine is something I did years ago when on the road alot , Made up an ali box big enough to get a clarks pie in ,After a trip to Cornwall It was just about right ,

No good for cooking food but great for warming .

All,

Given the current fashion in some quarters for relatively long slow low temperature cookery, I want to try cooking on the TDi manifold as part of expedition preparation. Tom Sheppard does not mention it in my 2nd edition, so I was wondering:

Anyone have any consistently successful recipes ?

Anyone know of any cooking containers which can easily and reliably be fixed into the available space ?

Regards

Richard

Done similiar to this loads of times on the 300tdi Disco, small wire basket attached where the air con pump would be, throw in army ration in (foil bag),

couple of hours later piping hot food.

Keith

My old n/a engine was good for cooking as the manifold/rocker cover made a better cradle shape - done a few pasties and made a nice ham and melted cheese baguette wrapped in foil.

I reckon I could cook a roast on my seatbox though, and throw some taters in the footwell. :)

Is is possible to cook food (maybe sausages) by putting them up the exhaust pipe? If so, will it affect the performance of the vehicle during the cooking stage, or just the performance of me after I've eaten them?

Is is possible to cook food (maybe sausages) by putting them up the exhaust pipe? If so, will it affect the performance of the vehicle during the cooking stage, or just the performance of me after I've eaten them?

I thought I was off the mark, but this is box of frogs territory - see Beverly Hills Cop

I've been thinking about this style of cooking too, don't think the 200tdi has much space. But I have a 45min commute to work each day on the bike and I recon that produces much more heat.

Maybe between the skid pan and main pipe, or it does have a catalitic convertor which gets bloody hot, not sure I like the idea of a burning spud on the motorway though!

post-3730-1245491134_thumb.jpg

I thought I was off the mark, but this is box of frogs territory - see Beverly Hills Cop

What, the banana incident? :lol: Many years ago my friend and I did a similar thing with a potato up his mum's Morris Minor exhaust. A few seconds after it started the potato shot out and hit their metal garage door, which gave his mum a huge shock.

Mike

Any chance of a wider shot to see how this box fits in ? And what engine is it ?

Regards

Richard

Sorry, haven't got a better shot. That's mounted to the manifold on a Toyota that was an event earlier this year. I think it was a straight six but could be a four cylinder.