TD5 or 2.8 TGV

toger

A friend of mine who does not like the TD5 engine reckons that the International 2.8 TGV engine is far better.

Can anyone please give an opinion.

Would you chuck out a TD5 engine, if you could, and replace it with the 2.8 TGV.

If so, why?

Why? It drives really nicely and pulls like a pulley thing. Lovely drive - I like your old bus.

i'm not too keen on the complicated nature of all the electrickery

plus i think its a bit flat in terms of power! but then i'm spoilt :blink:

i think the tdv is more LR style with its simplicity not to mention grunt

David

I find your signature highly distateful!

"X-eng it simply do not obtain, which not at all improves. So you will purchase any X -.eng product now - it will improve your sexual life also!"

Keep the TD5 and don't waste money needlessly,

if you want more grunt then spend 1000 pounds on an intercooler and boost upgrade from JE Eng or others and off you go! 4000 pounds better off!

Or spent the full 5000 on the TD5 and my god you can have a fun engine!!!!!!!!

Lara 2.8 litre TD5

I have found the Td5 to be a superb engine having done 40k in the first one and 56k in the second one without a problem.I find that it is an easily tuned and very strong engine. 170bhp and well alble to take more.The electrickery is hardly rocket science,and no doubt home diagnostics will become available as time goes on.

Also sounds great with cat ditched .Finally it is the last genuine Land Rover engine,the end of a long line. :(

I have a Td5 auto in my disco.

I drove a mate Ibex with a 2.8 in it and I will say I was very impressed.

In low it will revers a 3.5t trailer and a race freelander on it up the hill on my drive in tick over which impressed me allot as a freelander with a unloaded trailer cant revers up my drive.

My drive is about 1:3 is

the disco needs low to do the same job(but is auto so its hard to judge between them).

But there is a huge difference between the 300tdi and the 2.8.

There is more go in the 2.8 than my td5 but only just and mine has 100k on it and is 8k overdue its service

the 2.8 feels like its power band is more aggressive but smaller than the td5's but that could be were I'm used to a auto and the ibex is a manual.

but I was very impressed with it but I will still stick with my V8's for my challenge trucks.

HI simon, although this is suposed to be the dogs blx, of an engine, called the unijet, I've heard that a bored out 2.7 mondeo lump is to be used. WHY re engineer another lump. in a truck with a limited life span left, when the iveco lump exists, already approved to meet the emmissions regs and is already owned by ford. WHO KNOWS. see you pm. mark

Is it the iveco 2.8 that's going to be fitted to defenders?

Si

I have a 03 fiat with a 2.8jtd (pug)

which is very good it can make a 20ft camper towing a freelander and all the spares and tools cruse at 70 on a motorway. (6.5t)

Is it the iveco 2.8 that's going to be fitted to defenders?

Si

I understood that it was going to be the Ford Dura-torq as fitted to current Transits, Mondeos etc. I also heard something about a Peugeot engine - someone else said that they are the same engine developed as a joint project. I am sure someone knows better than me!

Is Iveco not Fiat these days?

Chris

"Lara 2.8 litre TD5"

Please explain more, you had a rebore?

Full article on Lara's 90 in the March 2006 issue of Land Rover Owner

Just finished reading it

Very impressed :D I think I could be persuaded to buy a Td5 if they had made them like that :D

Something to get you thinking Si...

The Sanatana motor?

2.9l, Impressive torque curve(?)!

Chris

Not totally convinced about the Alternator & Turbo being so low down on the engine - bound to cause problems with water. The oil/pas ? pipes on the front of the sump could also be an issue.

Other than that, they don't look bad.

It could be that these reasons are why they decided to re-engineer another engine?

Si

I understood that it was going to be the Ford Dura-torq as fitted to current Transits, Mondeos etc. I also heard something about a Peugeot engine - someone else said that they are the same engine developed as a joint project. I am sure someone knows better than me!

Is Iveco not Fiat these days?

Chris

My Fiat Ducata uses a pug lump 2.8D but knowing manufacuters Ford uses pug engins in other areas and Iveco used to be Fiat but Iveco teamed up with Ford on its truck building so this could be the same engine.

or the more I think about it the less idea I seam to have about who makes what these days :unsure:

or the more I think about it the less idea I seam to have about who makes what these days :unsure:

Don't call the company that you see making these things...You might actually work for that company without knowing that you do........ :P:rolleyes:

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

Just like IT, I've worked for 3 different companies without changing jobs, or even desks.

Thats impressive :lol:

The construction industry has a large turnover of staff and company names.

I was a site manager on a site that started as Galliford (light blue hoardings) then changed to Try Accord(yellow and navel blue hoardings) then while the paint was drying changed to Galliford Try plc (Gray and green hoardings)