Anyone successfully run a vehicle on central heating gas?

bluespanner

If you mean lpg I believe you can - assuming your Disco has an LPG conversion fitted.

Pumps are available on Ebay.

Not sure about the legal niceities, as it stands you can't use it on the road, I don't know if LPG has markers in it like they do with red diesel and central heating oil.

yep like some one said above its possable if you have the transfer pump , my neighbour used to do it with that set up .

many years ago we used the red LPG bottles with a adaptor , turn bottle on its head and pour boiling water over it and it would transfer over to vehicle tank ;)

Bluddy lethal trying to get the gas/lpg out of the tank at home

why risk your life?

just go to a garage and buy LPG.

Not with the right gear, any HVAC or refrigeration engineer would be able to do it using his recovery unit (small pump that recovers vapour and condenses it into liquid) which are available on line for not a lot of money..

I'm sure it breaks loads of laws though...

Not with the right gear, any HVAC or refrigeration engineer would be able to do it using his recovery unit (small pump that recovers vapour and condenses it into liquid) which are available on line for not a lot of money..

And how long would that take to fill an 80 litre tank?

Could I run my newly aquired disco on gas out of my tank at home? I assume I would need some sort of pump and would obviously need to pay tax as it is a road fuel.

Anybody done this or would like to share ideas?

Roland

I remember some one telling me they did this or knew some that did.. they lived out side of the mains gas network, and had a big LPG tank next to their home (like this), then had a car pump fitted (by the gas suppliers) to it so they could run an lpg car.

But because of the tax etc added it did not work out any cheaper that going to the local filling station.. but a lot easier if you live some where remote..

Just hypothetically :( if you had a second fuel tank, as many LRs do, say with an underseat filler that wasn't obvious, could you fit a switchover and use red diesel (for strictly offroad use) and normal road fuel on the road?

If the lovely customs and excise chap pulled you would they think to test both tanks? Would it be legal to have such a set up anyway?

Will :)

most of them now pull the fuel from the filter, rather than dipping the tanks. they caught onto the twin tank setup a few years ago, IIRC when the prices went silly before (and we protested and the country ran dry of fuel - strange no one has done the same since though.....)

Just hypothetically :( if you had a second fuel tank, as many LRs do, say with an underseat filler that wasn't obvious, could you fit a switchover and use red diesel (for strictly offroad use) and normal road fuel on the road?

If the lovely customs and excise chap pulled you would they think to test both tanks? Would it be legal to have such a set up anyway?

Will :)

using RED in a road vehicle thats meant to use white [road diesel] is just asking for trouble, having a huge fine & the vehicle seized, haven't we got a long thread about red diesel use in here somewhere ?

Just hypothetically if you had a second fuel tank, as many LRs do, say with an underseat filler that wasn't obvious, could you fit a switchover and use red diesel (for strictly offroad use) and normal road fuel on the road?

Twin red and white tanks are not legal on any vehicle even a machine that runs on red genrally. If a vehicle is used for a task that uses red then moves to another job where white is used it must be fully cleaned out and re-bled with white with new filters.

using RED in a road vehicle thats meant to use white [road diesel] is just asking for trouble, having a huge fine & the vehicle seized, haven't we got a long thread about red diesel use in here somewhere ?

Yeah we have but all done it , well i have run a 90 on it for ages , and a 405 for that matter. Used to buy Drums of red diesel from a mate and put it into the company 405 and put white diesel Company fuel in the 90 :rolleyes: But that was years ago and now live in Aus where the fuel is chaep as chips so don't need to even think about that

As above, red in one tank and white in another is very naughty. I reckon even naughtier than just using red.

We have an old 6x6 Martian that runs on red diesel legally, as it's a winch motor classed as plant.

Which got me thinking..... does Mr T. Hicap know of the potential of his newly acquired mobile workshop, the Burger Van?

What with that large weldset generator......... surely that's plant????

Yeah we have but all done it , well i have run a 90 on it for ages , and a 405 for that matter. Used to buy Drums of red diesel from a mate and put it into the company 405 and put white diesel Company fuel in the 90 :rolleyes: But that was years ago and now live in Aus where the fuel is chaep as chips so don't need to even think about that

Do you live in Aus?

when did that happen?

you sure kept quiet about that :lol: