XBrake

headhunter

http://threads.lro.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/...b=5∂=1&vc=1

last post on page 1.

Quote from post by rookie:-

Dont fit the x eng disc brake. Just bust 1 at the weekend bracket isn`t very strong . Bassically the bracket holding the calliper twists under load then when you take the hand brake of it bites the disc and locks the rear prop. So you have to lay in lots of mud to take it off before going any further.

Scorpion racings x brake has a bigger beefier bracket that holds the caliper that doesn`t twist, well worth the extra £6.50. Also the disc on scorpions is a machined disc, instead of a disc cut out of a piece of plate.

All that scorpion have done is taken an unpatented item tested it modified it and started to produce there own version.

Lets face it is not new technology these things have been fitted to dumper trucks for years.

`03 TD5 discovery

`70 2.25p 88"

`86 100" defender V8

`86 110 hi-cap (newly aquired project)

He does not state to what vehicle his xbrake was fitted or under what circumstances/conditions he allegedly broke it.

Surely it is either on or off and not to be used whilst moving.

How therefore could the back plate bend if the vehicle was stationary even on a steep incline. Was it fitted correctly?

How does "Rookie" know's so much about the SR copy, perhaps he is their stooge, attempting to discredit simon's design, or he is repeating what he has been told by SR?!!

John

If he is so dismissive of the xbrake or has had a problem why has he not contacted Simon?

Who I am sure would look into the alleged "failure" forthwith.

The public slagging off of the xbrake without telling us what the supplier has/will do to rectify the alleged fault appears very fishy to me.

John

I have used my x-brake on some pretty extreme hillstarts, which is when you are more likley to put force through the bracket, and it hasn't flinched, so I don't get this guys problem...

I also didn't know scrapiron had any of thier versions available yet, so I don't know how he can have tested the both.

Sounds like a troll to me... Colin the troll?

Mark

I too have developed a strange liking for the traditional drum brake - at least that's what I think leads me to taking it apart about once a month!!

Next purchase on the list..............?? ;)

Only once a month you lucky git every time I use the bloody thing :lol::lol:

There will always be dealer kiss arses for every dealer all over the country.

It is up to your own intelligence as to who you choose to do stuff/make stuff or buy from.

I work on Quality and Service and not as much on the price due to if it all goes wrong I can get if replaced quicker and easyer.

Interesting post! WTH have they still got photos of mine on their site if it's that cr**.

The comment "Just bust 1 at the weekend bracket isn`t very strong . Bassically the bracket holding the calliper twists under load " is good.

It is designed to twist in order to reduce the potential shock loading on the speedo housing.

There have been 5 'Failures' to date - but without exception they have been due to the caliper being adjusted too tight. There is a plastic spacer behind the pad which melts if it gets too hot. The boiling plastic can force the pad against the disk and cause it to lock.

However, if you follow the instructions on how to adjust it in the first place - there won't be a problem!

I suspect that the one in question was supplied by SR, who in their wisdom are supplying their own instructions which do not have the adjustment info in. I guess that's why it was not fed back to me.

I figured that making the back plate flexible would absorb some of the shock loading if you put the brake on in motion.

I figured that a twisted back plate, although inconvenient, is better than the back of the transfer box being torn off. If you do twist the back plate, we will replace it free of charge. We have even replaced the over-heated calipers as a gesture of good will, even though the manufacturer will not entertain a warranty claim as they have been over-tightened and the failure was the fault of the fitter.

Time will tell if this was a good or a bad call!

I had heard that SR's response was going to be to start a 'whispering camaign' via a number of trusted individuals - so this wasn't entirely unexpected.

Si

Guest diesel_jim
I had heard that SR's response was going to be to start a 'whispering camaign' via a number of trusted individuals - so this wasn't entirely unexpected.

Si

Well, folk on these forums can shout a lot louder than whispering, and as we're shouting in your favour, then stuff $R!!!!

PS... see you saturday @ sodbury.

Defender 90 / 110 / 130 Thread views: 104

rookie

(Valet)

18/2/06 09:41 PM

Re: Hybrid Brakes.... [Post#: 752442 / re: 749844 ]

have you thought about getting an `x brake` scorpion racing sell them. It clamps between the rear prop shaft flange and gearbox flange then you just need to make your own bracketto hold the caliper.

We are using 1 on a 100" and it is amazing, in low box 1st gear with all 200bhp of the v8 I can`t make it slip.

`03 TD5 discovery

`70 2.25p 88"

`86 100" defender V8

`86 110 hi-cap (newly aquired project)

From Rookie

No wonder you bent one there not designed for that, a transmition brake will snap off the transfure box I know that and I don't even own one yet

my fave stooge has to be this bloke

"Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can tell you 100% for sure that scorpion racing have not yet made a copy of this handbrake but thats not to say that it wont happen now espeicaly after all the rubbish you lot seem to think you no ! if it was me i would copy it just to p**s you lot off "

top score!

:D

post is in the thread HERE

the post recommending the brake as posted on 18/2/06 09:41 PM

the one damning it after breaking was posted on 29/3/06 12:43 PM

the point being?

The point being that it is a handbrake, designed to hold the vehicle still on a steep slope. This person has stated that they have tried putting 200bhp through the handbrake and it held. A little while later it fails - and he has the nerve to complain. Even if it isn't Colon, this person has NOTHING to complain about...

The point being that it is a handbrake, designed to hold the vehicle still on a steep slope. This person has stated that they have tried putting 200bhp through the handbrake and it held. A little while later it fails - and he has the nerve to complain. Even if it isn't Colon, this person has NOTHING to complain about...

Perhaps it was part of the Scrapiron product development destruction test to see how tough the Xbrake really was.

Now they know the Xbrake is so tough their own copy will no doubt be manufactured to the usual sub-standard.

John

my fave stooge has to be this bloke

"Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:55 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can tell you 100% for sure that scorpion racing have not yet made a copy of this handbrake but thats not to say that it wont happen now espeicaly after all the rubbish you lot seem to think you no ! if it was me i would copy it just to p**s you lot off "

top score!

:D

post is in the thread HERE

That one I reckon is Darren Lomas of Evoloution 4x4 in St Ives

I could be wrong

he is a reseller of Scorpion gear fitting it to his customers cars

That one I reckon is Darren Lomas of Evoloution 4x4 in St Ives

I could be wrong

he is a reseller of Scorpion gear fitting it to his customers cars

top entertainer though whoever he is, seems a little shortsighted if he is in business though?

top entertainer though whoever he is, seems a little shortsighted if he is in business though?

Oh dear, oh dear.

Does that mean I have to send the X Brake back to Si and buy the new brick like version of SR????

Strong evidence here.

Somehow I dont think I will be parcelling it back up to Si :P

Wonder what claims will pop up out of the woodwork next?

Regards

Leeds

When I service the RR next week it will have completed 14k miles with an X brake fitted - more than most I would have thought - with the odd thousand off road. It has had some fairly heavy abuse, including novice off road trainees and off roading with heavy trailers. It has been immersed hundreds of times and dragged through more mud and muck than most weekend off roaders see in a life time. It is just about ready for it's first adjust!

I will still happily (and do often) tell thousands of people via the medium of the written word, that the X brake (or the genuine X brake as I now refer to it) is the best bolt on modification to hit the landrover market since the 1948.

Simon doesn't pay me to say this - however if he did, I would happily except it...