IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

After

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

one that came with a winch I purchased that had been crimped

IMG_1673.JPG

this method (although sounds a tad like a bodge) is very effective

the pliers in the pic are then hit with a 4lb club hammer, the pliers are pretty rubbish anyway

the correct method requires some expensive crimpers.

I get my bettery/winch cables crimped by a mate who takes them to work and has then done with the site sparky's rather expensive crimp tool that's calibrated and certificated to ISO or BS sommat or other to verify the quality of the crimps. Loverly proper hex crimps which are stamped with the cable diameter to show the proper sized dia was using in the crimper.

Otherwise I'd use something like Tony's method and then fill the crimp with solder.

Before crimping

I had some done by the bodge pliers method and one of the cables parted from the connector.

As the terminal was out of sight, I was unaware of the problem until I had a flat battery. No charge was getting to my No.2 battery from the split charge relay connection where it had parted from.

I have since bought a H/D crimper, (about £30), for some peace of mind.

John

interesting idea

you could also put the pliers (with fitting to be crimped in them) in a vice and do it that way I suppose rather than biffing it with the hammer

I have always just squished them in a vice which does a pretty secure crimp, looks rough as F but won't let go!

Well you bluddy doubters

I have made 5 sets of these and all are functioning exactly as they should

no soldering and no loose connectors.

Any warranty claims please email me

TJ101-Tangoman-Exmoorcop best check your crimped connections :P

the rusty pliers are well past there best after this method has been employed

I haven't axs to the proper hydraulic ones.

doing it in a vice wouldn't have given me the same force as a good Biff with the trusty hammer.

Well glad to know it works for you Tony. Vice would seem more suitable than a hammer but maybe if we can't use the LR special tool No 1 then we shouldn't be toying with Landies.

Me, well I was quite happy to get mine done using the pukka tool by the shop I bought cable/connectors from .

I like the idea of bashing the pliars with a hammer - that will probably grip better than one squashed in a vice.

I used to just squash the connectors a bit then solder them - which works pretty well. Contrary to popular belief, solder is not that good a conductor so you need the crimp for the conductivity and the solder just to keep it there.

Now I have a tool from VWP - which was relatively inexpensive and is fantastic!

Si

anyone wanting to check the difference of a vice over a hammer

please attend my house where I have both and access to first aid equip/hospital.

I'm guessing your finger that has been hit with the hammer will require

more attention than the one I squash in a Vice :)

anyone wanting to check the difference of a vice over a hammer

please attend my house where I have both and access to first aid equip/hospital.

I'm guessing your finger that has been hit with the hammer will require

more attention than the one I squash in a Vice :)

Sort of depends on when you choose to stop winding the vice in but I can see you're point :ph34r:

I haven't got a suitable pic from the right angle, you need to find bits that match up, I was lucky in that I had a photo of the 90 at the same angle as the chair so I nicked the wheels off that, and the penguin was facing the right way, but I don't have one of the 90 with the Safari on at the right angle - maybe on the weekend.

Anyway I don't want to go wading in my armchair as the cushions will go all soggy and there's nowt worse than having a wet @r%e :lol:

Meanwhile I have amended it slightly :)

• 1 month later...

Well I'd just thought I'd say that after this thread was posted I thought I'd give Tonys method a try, what with me being such a sceptic :unsure:

Anyway out with and off cut of 40mm battery cable, a ring crimp, some old pliers, a the trusty 4lb lump hammer.

I have to say I was pleasantly supprised by the results, made a decent secure crimp.

However I'll be sticking to proper hex crimps, simply cos I can.

I've got hydraulic crimpers which go up to 400mm' cable lugs, which should be big enough even for Will Warne's winch once he's finished it ! :P

Seriously I've got a smaller crimper for up to 120mm I can take it to any of the AWDC/ Scrapiron series/J33p do @ 7S or Tony's Bash if anyone wants any crimped

IMO there is a better method without the proper tools than the plier/hammer approach.

what you need is a block of steel with a V cut in it and a small metal rod, an old nail or bolt cut down would do.

put the connector (the part with the cable end) in the V and the pin on the other side and the whole lot in a vice, then do up the vice.

The V stops the connector from splaying out, the pin deforms it to make a tight contact on the wire.

I may have some photos but hopefully the explanation is enough.

So find a small block of steel with a Vee in it and a Vice cuts down nail

hardly better IMHO

my method= pliers-hammer I have fitted these on the winch cables whilst on the car using a piece of wood on the bumper to protect the paint.

So find a small block of steel with a Vee in it and a Vice cuts down nail

hardly better IMHO

my method= pliers-hammer I have fitted these on the winch cables whilst on the car using a piece of wood on the bumper to protect the paint.

it is about reducing the circumference of the metal tube part of the connector; I'll bet my method will reduce it more than your pliers thus producing the tighter crimp.

We can have a tug of war if you want to see which method is stronger :P