Clubman Challenge

Mr Nick

Hi All, Well ive just read the (AWDC Coney Green) Post !

As a local haunt commonly known to us as CRUMPS it was nice to see some of you from this forum there,

even the ones sporting the scrap iron Avators.

Glad you all enjoyed the comp and even though some people have issues with scorpion racing you just cant very often knock there comps or my i add there involvement.

OK reason for my post ! As on Devon 4x4 Forum ive posted asking if there is anybody willing or wanting to do the Scopion Racing Clubman Challenge, as an entrant myself i'd like to see this new challenge start. There is some places left and i can assure you it will be a good weekend and social saturday night. Your all more than likely O FAY with the setup of the comp but for those who dont click on the Scorpion site i'll just reiterate a couple of things ! The Clubman Team Challenge will consist of 3 qualifying rounds and a final. Teams will consist of 2 vehicles, Points will be awarded as follows; 200 for the winning team, 190 for second, 180 for third and so on with bonus points on a sliding scale for special stages and tasks.The top 20 teams over the three events will be eligible to enter the final.The winner of the Final will be the team with the most points from the two day final.

Teams may enter all three qualifying rounds if they wish.

Scorpion Site states (The purpose of the Clubman Challenge is to act as a stepping stone between the Novice Challenge and the full blown AWDC Scorpion Racing Challenge Trophy or other similar type events. Experienced marshals will be at each site to help competitors tackle the punches in the safest way and by the fastest means without damaging their vehicles) But we all know there will be some competitive Vehicles and drivers there !!!!!! well i'll be there anyway :lol:

So what think ! game on or what ?

All the best

Nick

G4NJR

Here for a good time not a long time.

www.xtremelandy.co.uk

P.S. Can we keep X-ENG out of this post, whats done is done.

P.P.S. TAG Vehicle Graphics will be starting on my site next week so drop in and take a look at some designs

and stickers for your trucks,

Cheers again.

Nick,

To be honest, at the end of last year I was seiously thinking about entering this series. Despite this I have decided not to compete because of the following reasons:

1. I thought the entry fee of £150 per event was too high. Even though this is a two day event, it's still more than if I competed in two AWDC events in a weekend.

2. The whole issue wih X-eng has really put me off Scorpion. I know you asked us not to raise the issue again, but this is a real reason why I won't compete in this series. Also, my decision to compete in the AWDC challenge series had nothing to do with scorpion, it's the AWDC's series and not scorpions which is completely different to the clubman challenges.

3. The AWDC challenges are already taking alot out my vehicle (especially when you consider it's also my daily driver). Front axle strip required after last weekend antics.

Dave

OK Divster i respect your reply and thoughts, Quote me if i'm wrong but i thought Scorpion Racing is the main sponsor for the AWDC, so without Colins help and prizes there might not be the comp your involved in at all.

Awaiting your reply

It's a AWDC comp, so the comp will be there, but maybe with another sponsor, or with out the prizes!

I for one compete for the competition, in Open class, or class 1 mod or the challenge series with the AWDC if i win something then thats a bonus.

A sponsor is good for the club, but i'm not out there just to win prize's.

With what they did to X-Eng, you won't find much support from many people on here.

I like the word maybe Adrian ! do you know how hard it would be to get another sponsor like colin ?

Sure there are some just round the corner. And for your reply with support from this forum, i dont care if you support or not i just think bitterness is a daft thing in life. as i quote in my post i'm Here for a good time not a long time. Posting on forums about this kind of thing is like lots of free calls. not everybody that reads the posts have issues, do you think this is a forum just for anti scorpion people. (O Please). 1,158 members !!!!!!!! one of them might just want to do a challenge like the clubman.

Don't boycott an AWDC event because you don't like the sponsor.

Sponsors are hard to get and the AWDC events are one of the few that are available to us in the current deteriorating anti 4x4 climate.

Don't forget it costs the sponsor money that he then hopes to recoup through sales so by entering the event you are actually costing him money if you never intend to shop with him.

For the record, X-Eng rules, the "other one" doesn't in my book, but it won't stop me entering an event sponsored by them in the future.

My 2p.

OK Divster i respect your reply and thoughts, Quote me if i'm wrong but i thought Scorpion Racing is the main sponsor for the AWDC, so without Colins help and prizes there might not be the comp your involved in at all.

Awaiting your reply

Scorpion is the main sponsor for the AWDC in the challenge series. As Adrian says a sponsor is good for the club and good for the series. I compete for the fun of it. Prizes help with the cost of competing in an event and are a bonus. I'm sure that even without the backing of Scorpion, the AWDC would push hard to keep such a succesful competition going and I find it unlikely that there would now be a shortage of series sponsors. The AWDC has no problems with filling challenge events to maximum capacity, whereas Scorpion are having difficulty getting an event going. Why is that???

Having said all that, this thread was not supposed to be one bashing SR again.

Dave

I wouldn't mind entering an event like this but I'm way too busy/poor at the moment. Maybe later in the year. I know it costs a fair bit to put these things on but £150 per event sounds a bit much to me?

I'm not too bothered about the X-Eng/Scorpion stuff as Simon appears to have come out of it pretty well and with a lot of support. I just think it's good that Scorpion actually put on these events, giving us more choice as to which events to enter.

Richard

I'm with Dave here, in that i compete for the challenge and fun.

Every round is full or close to full, so that will be attractive to other sponsor's!

I'm not here to bash scorpion, i just don't buy from them or like the way they work.

But i can see there is a need for less extream events to get people involved so they

don't feel they have to jump in at the deep end not knowing what it's all about.

IMHO the more events the better, if run and sponsored by scorpion so be it, maybe its the cost

thats putting people of? or they don't have the time to fit in a 2 day event.

First of all dirty diesel,you can pick your team mate prior to the event.

If you dont have a team mate and your name is billy no mates scorpion will team you up with someone on the day.

Right back to the pricing! For those who dont know ! the scorpion challenges are organised through pro-trax,If you think that colin pockets all the money you are very wrong. most if not all of the time Colin walks away out of pocket and for those of you who know jim at giggle pin he would agree that there aint much money to be made due to insurance and organisers,plus Mr V cobley has a big say on getting the sites. but i must add that the comps are good P.R. for scorpion racing and business,I'll let you work that one out for yourselfs.

As for his novice and clubman comps you must admite that they are a very good introductory to the sport and how many other people do you know that introduce newbies to the sport ? without people like colin there would be a stale mate in many areas around the country for off roading. as a team leader of the last novice the feed back and enjoyment was the best so far so i cant agree with following my leader stuff in slagging off colin all over the x brake that has actully done pretty well out of it.

So i'll leave that to more of anybodys thoughts and i must admit i enjoy the replys given as there is always two sides of a story.

I've lifted this straight off SR's website,

Each drivers name will go into a hat and the experienced Team Leaders will pick 3 names each. They then have 48 hours to bring the drivers into a winning team.

Doesn't read like you can pick you own team members to me.

But then again according to you, I'm part of a herd and only good at "following my leader stuff", so it's probably not for me anyway.

Still struggle to see how you can justify the price, Because if the likes of, challenge south west, midland off road club and the awdc can do one day events for around the £40-60 mark. What are these events offering that makes them worth £150.

As for introducing people to the sport, aside from those mentioned above there quite a few regional clubs offering affordable entry level competitions, so he's not exactly filling a void is he!!!!

PS. Thanks for insulting me with the "billy no mates" comment. Very endearing.

Mr Nick. What do YOU think the sponsership of events gives the competitiors??? I personally know no one who competes for the sake of the prizes and very rarely are they something you REALLy want (appart from silverware ;) ). I also don't want to put stickers of products I don't use all over my truck and I think any marshals who may have ulterior motives (read that as you like :ph34r: ). In all these cases the sponser is the BIG winner. SR base almost ALL their business their image as 'the challenge company' and, so (for them) the more series the better. One quick though; Muddy Truckers raised over £7k for charity. This means the competitors all walk away feeling good, the organsisers fell good and get great publicity and it does a great deal for the image of the sport.

Onto the AWDC, I know they get a lot out of SR for their involvment but, for me, it puts me off entering. I think what Neil has done with the series is SUPERB for the sport and his effort has been huge. However, I seriously dislike SR and everything they stand for. Because of this I don't think I'd be able to enjoy the event.

As for the Clubman series. I'm not really sure I see its place. There are several clubs arround the UK that run fairly regular challenge events to get people involved but then, after that, the best way is to jump in at the deep end. I can garentee that using the £150 entry fee to enter a major, national challenge will teach you more and will be far more entertaining. In the end, you take a challenge event at the speed you want to. If a punch is too difficult then you leave it and move on. The only way to move on and improve is to push yourself, your co-driver and the vehicle.

will warne, I'd say the sponsership of events by the right people give a well organised comp,with or without goodies. As for a reply on the clubman and its place well i can only say it will be a good fun weekend.

The point you add about jumping in at the deep end i agree if you and your truck is up for it !!!!!

I must add i was a team leader on the last novice challenge and all the teams learnt what they came for and again had fun fun fun. I do the comps for fun i dont care about winning, I'm very Competitive dont get me wrong and anybody who know me and what im like on site weather its a comp or a trip out somewhere will agree that its a big Professional Giggle to me.

Will Warne "You quoted" ( I seriously dislike SR and everything they stand for. Because of this I don't think I'd be able to enjoy the event ) I'd bet you dude you would enjoy it. Remember it not Colin competing and over the years ive met some nice people.

To Dirtydiesal: -

THE 2006 SCORPION RACING CLUBMAN CHALLENGE

The Clubman Team Challenge will consist of 3 qualifying rounds and a final. Teams will consist of 2 vehicles, if you do not have a vehicle to team up with prior to the event don't worry you can team up with another crew on the day.

Think we have our wires crossed, thats the novice you get put into teams.

Nick

will warne, I'd say the sponsership of events by the right people give a well organised comp,with or without goodies. As for a reply on the clubman and its place well i can only say it will be a good fun weekend.

The point you add about jumping in at the deep end i agree if you and your truck is up for it !!!!!

Most people would actually be surprised how little you need. With a single winched truck without lockers you're unlikely to win the event but there's no problems competing. As long as your sensible and don't overestimate your abilities and the capabilities of your vehicle you'll have a great weekend. At a lot of these events its not the kit that wins it but the team work, time management and the ability to stand back and say "That's not worth the points, lets leave it"

ok - my go!

1. £150 is WAY too much. By the time you've added fuel, costs for breakages etc. Especially for what is billed as a "Clubman" challenge.

2. They're all too bleedin far away! Whats the point in having a 3 round series when 2 of them are held at the same venue - too far up north!

3. I'm not a fan of team challenges - I never like having to find someone to team up with, and I especially dont like the idea of being teamed up with someone I dont know.

As to the scorpion / X -eng business, all I can say is that I've not had any dealings with either company, and frankly am unlikely to ever deal with either (due to their current product ranges nothing else!) so from that point of view I neither support, nor am anti either company.

Unfortunately there seem to be a huge number of Anti-scorpion people on this forum, but I do honestly wonder how many of them have actually had dealings with both companies! In my opinion if you've not had dealings with BOTH companies then you are not qualified to comment on the subject. I'm afraid ripping off products, or making very close copies is what business is all about these days.......

Jon

re:

"Unfortunately there seem to be a huge number of Anti-scorpion people on this forum, but I do honestly wonder how many of them have actually had dealings with both companies! In my opinion if you've not had dealings with BOTH companies then you are not qualified to comment on the subject. I'm afraid ripping off products, or making very close copies is what business is all about these days"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't make it ok though does it?

just because buisness's have no ethics and will rip a design off to make a few extra ££.

everyone is entitled to comment as they are witness to a set of facts.

Right or wrong.....

It's all very sad :(

I hope that one day we can all play together nicely :D

There are no majors for some time now, so it's nice to see some good entry level events........

No matter who's running them :)

I wish everyone success (Within reason ;) )

Jim :)

Hi Nick

I would be doing the Clubman events but every single date clashes with something else for me this year.

First date I was in Wales, second Croatia and third is the LRE holiday week I think.

Maybe next year if it is still going.

Also well done in trying to keep the X-Eng/Scorpion issue out of this post. It failed though.

Richard

Hi Richard, nice to here from you. The weekend was a blast, you and G would have really enjoyed it.

Shame your busy through out the year but hey cant be helped. There are a few pictures took by Lee on my site if you want a look. Saturday was hard work ! Wez broke his front diff at about 12'O clock, that left me to do the work on my own as the Range wasn't going far in loddington mud with just rear wheel drive, and I on the last punch had a wee problem when Richie let the ARB Winch Blanket get wrapped around the drum and when trying to get it out broke the new XP9500 drum carryer bracket.

But being the nice people they are ! Roz brought me colins winch up from the shop and i stole a few bits from it. And Wez's Old Man brought him up a Diff from Brum. All sorted for Sunday where we pulled out a few stops and gained good points and came in 3rd. All 'N' All most excellent weekend Dude.

All the best

Nick.

To Quote -That's not worth the points, lets leave it"

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :angry: Now thats my problem i just never think that :rolleyes:

Anyway what the f*** do it or dont just dont ban portals or big tyres& im happy , well portals at the moment you can ban