Ifor Williams flatbed trailers

Chris Davies

Hi I'm looking to get a second hand Ifor Williams flatbed for general duties but also want to be able to fit a landrover onto it so I am looking at the 6'6 wide models either 12' of 14' long. Question is will I regret getting a 12' one rather than 14' or is 12' ok to take any model of landy. 12' obviously has the advantage of taking less space.

What have you got/used.

Cheers

Chris

I've got a trailer with a 12ft bed and it is great for the carrying the 90 or Series SWB's. However, although I can get a Discovery or RR Classic on it, they overhang the back and its not balanced and is unstable, therefore unsafe to tow.

Hi, thanks for all the replys, I think I will regret getting a 12' trailer and 14' is the way to go 16' is too big I think. I will be towing it with a 90 200tdi and the likelyhood is that it will only be a SWB varient I will ever tow but the 14' will give me the option should I ever need to tow anything bigger (disco or RR for example), don't know if a 90 would be up to towing a discovery though.

Anyway back to my ebay search.

Thanks again

Chris

no reason why any 90 cannot tow to it's designed max towing weight of 3.5tons on a overrun braked trailer.

The only reason why I can think a 90 cannot tow a discovery on a trailer is the grey area of the law on towing % weight.

It is recommended that the weight of the tow is no more than 85% of the tow vehicle kerb weight, it has been known for some police to take anything thing more than 100% to be dangerous driving.

So a disco + trailer weight is likely to be more than a 90 kerb weight.

The only reason why I can think a 90 cannot tow a discovery on a trailer is the grey area of the law on towing % weight.

It is recommended that the weight of the tow is no more than 85% of the tow vehicle kerb weight, it has been known for some police to take anything thing more than 100% to be dangerous driving.

I guess the cops could have a field-day with the trucks on the M6!

Chris

Hi, thanks for all the replys, I think I will regret getting a 12' trailer and 14' is the way to go 16' is too big I think. I will be towing it with a 90 200tdi and the likelyhood is that it will only be a SWB varient I will ever tow but the 14' will give me the option should I ever need to tow anything bigger (disco or RR for example), don't know if a 90 would be up to towing a discovery though.

Anyway back to my ebay search.

Thanks again

Chris

i tow 3.5tons of cattle i don't go over 50mph no problems happy to tow a disco on a trailer.

I tow close to 3.5 tons of beer including tare weight of the tank and trailer on my 110.

I got stoped in a Police/VSOA/HMR&C check the other week and they were fine with it.

VSOA were bothered that the trailer was plated evenly loaded, the load was secure and the brakes, lights etc worked and checked the weight on their pads.

The police were bothered about the insurance/licenced to tow and checked the VIN against the plate.

HMRC dipped the tank and sent me on my way,

There were a few rumblings "about tasting the load!!" but nothing about being 80% of defender just if the trailer was up to it, and was not overloaded.

VSOA were bothered that the trailer was plated evenly loaded, the load was secure and the brakes, lights etc worked and checked the weight on their pads.

No questions about Tachographs? I assume you were on a commercial journey? ...or do you simply have a drink problem? :P

Chris

No questions about Tachographs? I assume you were on a commercial journey? ...or do you simply have a drink problem? tongue.gif

Chris

Yes they also checked the tacho, although as I had been on the road for less than an hour they really were not that bothered about it. We have one of the little car stereo type ones fitted although the radio reception is C*** on it!!biggrin.gif

(when I say my 110 i meant my work one, I fix it, pay for it, put diesel in it so feels like mine!!!)

oh and yes I have a drink problem, one of our tanks has sprung a leak in the cooling jacket last night so need to find somewhere to put 2000 pints of beer!!! so in my book thats a drink problem!!!!mad.gif

Definately go for the longer bed. Mine has a 16ft bed, and i've had lse's and 109's on it without a problem :) It also gives space for extra luggage when my offroader is on i.e. spare tyres :)

G

I use a 16ft ivor to move my challenge truck around and with 2 spare tyres on the front the trailer looks nicely fully loaded.

The extra length allows me to strap the back axle backwards at a nice angle and the front axle forward.

A mate of mine uses a 12ft trailer but I think it always looks overloaded.

I have done all of howling wolf/ awdc series 3 years consecutively and done a fair amount of towing using a landcruiser and a discovery as a tow vehicle.

I would only sell my 16ft ivor to replace it with another 16ft ivor.

Back on this I was just checking out the lighting regulations for my overland trailer build and found this which relates to weight of a trailer

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/requirementsfortrailers

Jason

the 85% is a guideline not a law for caravan towers AFAIK.

I've seen that on Top Gear - one caravan on top of the other, but I wouldn't want to make a tower any taller than two 'vans on the public road I think, unless the bottom van was on a commercial trailer chassis. :ph34r:

I've seen that on Top Gear - one caravan on top of the other, but I wouldn't want to make a tower any taller than two 'vans on the public road I think, unless the bottom van was on a commercial trailer chassis. :ph34r:

towers as in people who tow not towers as in tall buildings :rolleyes: