I hate landrovers

Ok, I'd just like to point out that my fantastic housemates started this thread on my behalf. Serves me right for leaving my laptop unattended!

However, LR's can be frustrating...so vent away!

My views:

1. You always have oil under your nails

2. You always have to carry a tool kit

3. Rubbish ride (I drive a series)

4. Consume more cash in spare parts/mods than in fuel

5. Leaks

6. You can never get all the mud off

7. You can never find that rattle/squeak

All of the above though I consider a reason for owning one as well as hating it.

Just to add another angle to this topic, what tool(s) do you carry as a matter of course that any professional mechanic will only normally use when the moon is blue? I know from bitter experience that even the shortest journey is like russian roulette without a toolbox!

Just to add another angle to this topic, what tool(s) do you carry as a matter of course that any professional mechanic will only normally use when the moon is blue? I know from bitter experience that even the shortest journey is like russian roulette without a toolbox!

Mole grips

adjustable spanner

10mm, 13mm 11mm spanners

screwdrivers

tie wraps (various sizes)

tape (big and small)

bulbs, fuses, oil, water, brake fluid, antifreeze.

If you can't fix it with that (AA card)

Jason.

its funny how we are allways cursing them but still we allways come back to them

there an addiction

i know people that have landys, then sold them to go jap,

got bored of them and then went back to landys.

if you have a land rover, you have to accept the fact the:

there uncomfy,

bad on fuel,

leak nearly every fluid possible,

noisy,

like your all saying hard to clean propperly,

the clutches are horribly heavey (esspesully when you have dodgy knees like me)

the terrible play that allway come back in the steering after you have sorted it out a million times.

and there allways a wire problem, like bad earths, wires currobed as they are exposed to the salt that is thrown on the road..

annoying little things like that, we curse and curse

but all you have to say "oh well, its a land rover" and bite your toung like i allways do.

cheers

sam

I have always said that I'll sell it the moment I get in and fail to grin. I've had the thing for 10 years now, and it hasn't happened yet... How many other vehicles that you buy, then immediately take bits of apart, or have to fix the factory-fit-f-ups, and still be proud to own?

The fact that a modern efi engine is mounted to the 'box with witworth bolts never fails to amuse me.

11. You have to put up with the constant abuse from other 4x4/Car owners, 'Character' soon becomes a pretty weak argument against better axles/boxes/diesels etc

That and as above the ease of nicking :angry:

Still won't sell it because I will not let it defeat me!

Mike

its funny how we are allways cursing them but still we allways come back to them

there an addiction

if you have a land rover, you have to accept the fact the:

there uncomfy,

bad on fuel,

leak nearly every fluid possible,

noisy,

like your all saying hard to clean propperly,

the clutches are horribly heavey (esspesully when you have dodgy knees like me)

the terrible play that allway come back in the steering after you have sorted it out a million times.

and there allways a wire problem, like bad earths, wires currobed as they are exposed to the salt that is thrown on the road..

annoying little things like that, we curse and curse

but all you have to say "oh well, its a land rover" and bite your toung like i allways do.

cheers

sam

mine aren't bad compared to my dads 2.8ltD shogun

not shore i could live with out a land rover

I felt like setting mine on fire as it conked out at the top of a hill in the middle of traffic just as I approached some lights blocking everything up.

Called my neighbour out as he has a couple of disco's to help tow me home, lifted the bonnet, noticed one of the leads had come off the coil!!!!

After a bout of fairly heavy swearing put the lead back on, started her up and pulled away without a problem.

Would never sell her though, I love it too much.

As Heath Robinson said, if it fails to make me grin I'll get rid of it

12. You've had one for years, spent thousands on it, have it written off by someone running into the back of you, get absolutely sweet *&%^ all from the insurance company and then go and spend the last of your hard earned savings (that should have gone towards a deposit on a house) on a new TD5.

Thank god for this self-help group :lol:

Enjoyed the thread, thought I could add an African perspective.

More reasons to own/hate a LandRover in Africa

You can open a beer with the mounting of the grill.

You can always find the way home because of the oil drops on the street.

To get waved at by fellow addicts.

The word 'Landrover' says it all when you are late again

To go where no jeep has gone before...

It contains 100 percent user servicable parts! -

I love checking the petrol and filling up the oil.

The bumpy ride makes my girlfriend horny

Your girlfriend will know that you have no time for another girl.

In a Land Rover, the other vehicle is your crumple zone

In the event of a nuclear war, you can roll your melted window down and ask'where did everybody go?'

If I wanted to drive a Jeep I'd of Bought one.

For the sheer look of enjoyment when you give your girlfriend the keys (once a month)!!!

Hey dude, you've been working out? You look good!" "No, I drive a Land Rover."

Sometimes I don't understand women, but I always understand my landy...

In South Africa, taxis grant you immediate respect on the road!

Landrovers are better than sex! (they're a great ride and they dont moan afterwards).

Land Rover don´t care if you buy Land Rover magazines !!!

A Land Rover doesn't leak oil, it marks it's territory

regards

margoc1

there an addiction

Funny that, I had Lrs for 20 years and went Jap with a Land Cruiser over 2 years ago and have never throught of going back to a LR.

Paul

• 1 year later...

Hmmm, mine is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, is driven fast off road every day. It has shed a few bits that drop off and make it lighter but the treatment it receives would kill anything else, thinks I. I don't find the clutch heavy and nor do I find it particularly uncomfortable or unacceptably noisy except perhaps at motorway speeds. And yes, it still brings a grin to my face every time I get in. Now, where did I put my rose-tinted specs

• the moment that you get everything perfect, rid of that last rattle, squeak and vibration. and running well. you hit a brick wall in it and knacker the chassis, a month before UNI. then some guy decides to try and take all your money over it?? must be on there somewhere. [Rant/]