Best Winch for a 90

Personally I have a milemarker as it's never let me down, It's hydraulic powered and keeps pulling and pulling, even with the tie bars broken it still pulled me and a Nissan Nivara up a 45o ice covered incline, Glad I bought it

HTH

John

Overall if ya know what i mean. I know they all cant be good at everything !!

Surely it depends what you want to use it for.

Everyday working: Husky. Super Reliable and reasonably priced.

Comps: Gigglepin Super-8274. Fast, powerful. You get what you pay for... and it costs a lot.

I have an ancient Warn M8000 mounted on top of the front bumper. A good general purpose winch that tends to work when I need it to, it has enough welly for most things and being a compact type is relatively unobtrusive. You can always use a snatch block to increase pull if necessary. I suspect it may have a better duty rating than many of the current crop of Chinese built winches.

If as you say money is not a factor I would go for a Warn. For extra reliability I would suggest an Albright solenoid, the little cylindrical round types that are standard fitment don't like infrequent use, or frequent dunking, IMO.

Stay well clear of B*****rt winches, I have yet so find one that worked properly when it was new!!!

At the end of the day... horses for courses 'n all that.

For serious competition the Warn 8274 seems the favourite electric winch, especially after it's been hit by some Gigglepin upgrades. The other comp option today is hydraulic. Both types have their own fanbases and both cost many arms and legs :lol:

Superwinch Husky EW8 for me everytime, reliable & dependable, won't run on with a load attached [as it's a worm drive] & no brake pads/shoes to worry about or get hot when spooling in or out.

they can run on, how i dont know but stick an bigger motor on it and lower out and it will run on.

for general pay and play or recovery - TDS for value for money and reliability

for comp events TDS again with bigger drum works well for us on the rear with a std 8274 with Nicks freespool on the front. stick a B2 on each and they pull well.

You can then always over overvolt them for more speed etc.

Or go the GP route.

Have to say I really fancy a milemarker type r, and will get one at some point, fast, reliable and plenty of pulling power. Only problem is if you stall or break your engine, but then you probably have something bigger to worry about.

Thanks for all your replies looks like ive got a bit of reaserch to do !!!

one more quick question -- hydraulic or electric ????

ive only a standard altenator and battery

Cheers

Steve

p.s Would i be right in saying that a hydraulic winch would go faster with more revs ?

8274 all the way strong and robust if thats not enough then stick a gigglepin top on it

Clearly not a challenge event competitors then Sam? In standard form the 8274 is not up to the job of hauling a 90 around... they break alarmingly regularly in events... stick a twin top housing on without uprating the rest then it will break if you use it hard.

The answer to the OP question is that it depends on what you want to do with it- how often and how hard?- sorry if that is not a helpful answer...

The very best winch if money was no object would be a custom made one- designed specifically for your application.

Have to say I really fancy a milemarker type r, and will get one at some point, fast, reliable and plenty of pulling power. Only problem is if you stall or break your engine, but then you probably have something bigger to worry about.

I've been stuck at the bottom of a hill with a goosed engine, had to wait for someone to pull me out as my hydraulic pump was useless :lol:

I run type r's front n back with air solenoids to engage high / low and it makes life really easy when you're in the cab. Got a little 9,500 in the centre as well.

Hydraulic is a lot more complex and more pipes all over the place compared to 12v.

G

my 2 pence worth -

its funny i have done 5 challenge events now in the howling wolf with my 8274 with a standard motor and have found it up to the job. winching every punch thats quite a bit of work. the motor is going to be changed for an XP copy which i have on another landrover though as it is starting to show signs of wear now.

suppose it comes down to how fast you want to get there and how much you want to thrash it. Seems most breakages to the 8274 is snatching the mainshaft which to a degree is avoidable in most situations.

of course money no option id have this exact set up :) as nick says : saley hydraulic front and rear with an gp83 in the centre just in case you roll or the engine stops for some reason.

cheers

they can run on, how i dont know but stick an bigger motor on it and lower out and it will run on.

Mine has some sort of Warn motor on it and it does run on. A quick blip in the power in direction soon stops it but im not sure thats much good for the winch.

Roly