D day finaly arrived

bangbang

Well d day is here. we dragged flakey as she is nick named out of the hedge last night and got to work at 7.30 this morning stripped out the 6" of top soil inside and im not kidding and pressure washed inside and out so we could see the condition, the chassis could have been worse there are a couple of spots that need welding and a new front outrigger was needed the rear cross member was shot but othere than that all was well. we managed to get new brake pads and cylinders alround plus all new brake hoses made and on we also fitted a remote brake servo. The engine was a runner but we changed all the hoses fluids new filters and she played up for a few minutes but soon came to life in a puff of smoke and now runs as sweet as a nut.

Tomorrows jobs are the weilding and cross member put the seats in and generaly tweek the doors and stuff and then booked in for an mot monday moring fingers crossed. here are some pics of flakey this morning will add some more pics tomorrow was a bit slack today with the camera there was so much to do i forgot

any advise and tips gratefully recieved there will still be alot to do once mot'ed just want her road worthy got the body work and paint job to do and i ain't got a clue where to start think it will just be filler and hand paint job but if you got any ideas or know better then please speak up

post-24916-127938665741_thumb.jpg

post-24916-127938667568_thumb.jpg

post-24916-127938669326_thumb.jpg

post-24916-127938671102_thumb.jpg

post-24916-127938672296_thumb.jpg

Good luck! On the painting side I'm intending to try a coach paint called Re-paint Ace made by the makers of Jellonite on my Discovery with a view to using it on the classic cars I restore. If it's successful I'll let you know.

well been working on it all weekend and as ever it's turning out to be a bigger job than first though :o:lol: the chasssis has quite a few holes nothing major yet but they still all need to be sorted the electrics seem to be possesed working as and when they want my brake cyclinders came with no bleed valves and they old ones were seezed solid so cant finish the brakes and basicly every nut and bolt in the thing is holding on for dear life you can see they were built to last :lol:

so the weekend turn around was a bit optomistic so mondays mot is being put back a week as i'm having tomorrow off im knackered :rolleyes:

Dave

That's a cool truck, nice to see a Series being given some TLC.

Don't put filler on it, dents add character and the first time you tap a tree or the panel wobbles the filler will crack or fall out. I'd be inclined to wash the dirt off and see what's left, it may look cool as without any extra paint.

Wiring looms are not massive money from Autosparks, may be an easier option than faffing with the old one.

L reg? There's a chance it was made in 1972 and could be registered 'historic' for tax free status, which could add a fair bit to it's value. I see it was first registered 08/03/1973. Unfortunately you can't tell from the VIN when it was made, but if you get in touch with these guys:

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/pages/contact/contact.html

they can help.

P.S. looks good!

L reg? There's a chance it was made in 1972 and could be registered 'historic' for tax free status, which could add a fair bit to it's value. I see it was first registered 08/03/1973. Unfortunately you can't tell from the VIN when it was made, but if you get in touch with these guys:

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/pages/contact/contact.html

they can help.

P.S. looks good!

thanks for the link i was under the impression from the farmer it was tax execmt but i will have to check.

is there any benifit from keeping it all original or will it be worth more cleaned up and painted?

thanks for the link i was under the impression from the farmer it was tax execmt but i will have to check.

is there any benifit from keeping it all original or will it be worth more cleaned up and painted?

It depends, if you are keeping it then by all means have it painted but if you intend to sell it you probably won't get the money it'll cost you back...better to let the new owner pick the colour! In any case I'd get it working and use it for a while before you decide...shame to spend £500 on paint and then find out it needs a new engine.

It didn't appear to be registered historic (tax free) although I might be wrong. Easiest way to tell is to look on the tax disc itself, if it says 0 cost or 'historic' on it it is registered, if it says 'PLG' or shows a cost it is not registered tax free.

Depends what you want really, personally I think it's a lovely looking old truck and the patina of use & abuse suits it and adds character. Restoring it to full shininess is an option but only if you really want a fully restored one 'cos it'll never be worth the money. Modifying it would seem a shame, these days if you want the ultimate offroad toy there's plenty of cheap RR/Disco/Defenders out there with less character to chop about.

As an example, this is one of my favourite photos and shows what I'm talking about, a load of pristine Series 1's and one that's showing some real character:

s1s.jpg

again thanks for the replies and advice. And i think your right i'm gonna get it thought the mot and then actually drive the thing and see if i like it and it's usable for what i need it for if not then it will be a 90, that was what i originaly wanted but dean me machanic has an 88 and saw this and pursaded me the was the cheap option, i'm not so sure now spend is almost a grand now and it's still not on the road

Dave

Keep the original look! My 90's paintwork has been abused over the years and has all kinds of blemishes on it from birdpoo not being washed off etc. I've decided to keep it that way and just wax it every so often to help prevent to paint getting any worse.

Sometimes an LR looks better for looking used but cared for :)

My 109 is "L" reg and tax exempt - chances are this one will be too.

You have some bulkhead rust around the same spots mine did - the bottom of the door pillars and around the windscreen hinges. Proper repairs need to be made as these areas are structural. Once that is done, then you can think about cosmetics.

Personally, I'm not keen on the dishevelled look. A bit of natural ageing is fine, but vehicles which have worked hard usually look very tatty and deserve a respray and tidy up, though not every ding and dent needs to be removed. Certainly your driver's door top and the hard top need sorting out as they look fairly poor at the moment. A paint shop should be able to match the paint to look faded, if that is what you'd prefer, rather than having the full depth of the original colour when new. That way, you get an age representative look which isn't embarrassing or upsetting to the neighbours (many people fail to consider the latter when they keep ratty looking vehicles outside their house or along the street, but it does cause upset and lowers house prices, so scruffy vehicles should not be kept where visible).

There's a difference between the "well used" look and just tatty/scruffy/abandoned.

That's what I'm trying to get at. The lower half of this 109 looks "well used", which is a look many like (and more collectors are looking for original paint and patina rather than concourse resprays), but the hard top looks beyond that and really needs sorting out. I'd be tempted to get some paint made up to match the clean areas on the sides of the hard top and strip it back for respraying, and to get paint matched for the bulkhead while leaving the rest of the grey paint well alone.

was going to put a swb roof on it and have a load area in the back but yes the roof does need sorting. this may sound horendous to you guys but was thinking of just hand painting the hole lot with a small gloss roller but will either be the original colour or a darker grey

this may sound horendous to you guys but was thinking of just hand painting the hole lot with a small gloss roller but will either be the original colour or a darker grey

sounds just great, i did mine with a short pile gloss roller and i'm really pleased with it. i just did the roof cos it was quite poor. link to my thread

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=55365&view=findpost&p=499763

PM me if you want more details. ian.

was going to put a swb roof on it and have a load area in the back but yes the roof does need sorting. this may sound horendous to you guys but was thinking of just hand painting the hole lot with a small gloss roller but will either be the original colour or a darker grey

I used small decorating rollers for my Sankey and it came out really well - not perfect, but that was mostly the odd hair from the roller. Certainly more than adequate for a working trailer. The foam mini-rollers worked better initially, but you need to replace them frequently as the paint breaks the foam down after a short while, leaving foam lumps in the paint.