Wheel hub locking nuts

Ok guys We are looking for the spanner, socket, tool for taking both locking nuts of the front wheel hub, what tool do I need how much and where from?........And if stupidly expensive how else can I remove the nuts without causing any damage?

As always apologies if this has been covered before.

Cheers Mutley

I find the box spanner a bit useless. The nuts are supposed to be torqued up to a certain value if you want to do the job properly, but you cant really attach the box spanner to a torque wrench, nor can you swing on it all that easily with some bits of bar cobbled together to loosen them off.

I would just buy a proper socket, something like this: http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=SX010

Only question is if it will be deep enough.

I find the box spanner a bit useless. The nuts are supposed to be torqued up to a certain value if you want to do the job properly, but you cant really attach the box spanner to a torque wrench, nor can you swing on it all that easily with some bits of bar cobbled together to loosen them off.

*** GAP IN MARKET ALERT ***

A recent thread covered this too, and someone suggested welding a strip accross the back and tacking on an old 1/2 drive socket. Strikes me that a bit of 20 x 5 flat strip, with a 1/2 square hole in, tacked on would do just as well?

There's no gap in the market, Difflock have a 52mm socket that is plenty deep enough and 1/2" square drive....

I had a box spanner, bloody horrible thing, especially with slightly greasy fingers the tommy bar just slips out and you loose yet more skin off your knuckles -if you're not careful ;)

Difflock socket = job done, no hassle :)

I generally go by feel on the inner nut (usually happens to be about as tight as I can get it with just my hand on the box spanner), and then the outer one FT with a bar through the box spanner. I'd love one of those 1/2" drive socket thingamajigs, but I'm tight!

Like the idea of welding a bit of flat across though, might give that a go :i-m_so_happy:

*** GAP IN MARKET ALERT ***A recent thread covered this too, and someone suggested welding a strip accross the back and tacking on an old 1/2 drive socket. Strikes me that a bit of 20 x 5 flat strip, with a 1/2 square hole in, tacked on would do just as well?

That'd be me then, :lol: I was sick and tired of not getting the right torque wrench settings for doing my locknut's up properly so I did what I usually do-I improvised! and came up with that,And the correct setting for the lock nut's are 50 NM's then back off to 90o then re-tighten to 10NM's from the backed off 90o point

HTH

John

I think there is a little confusion on the need to torque the hub nut.

The late (TD5 on I think but ready to be corrected) axles are supposed to have a space between the inner bearings and the hub nut torques, to adjust out any play in the bearing, different size spacers and shims are added or removed.

Most people who change the bearings look at the spacer once and throw it away, possible with out realising what it is and install the hub nuts as on previous models, I have never heard of this causing any problem.

The late (TD5 on I think but ready to be corrected) axles are supposed to have a space between the inner bearings and the hub nut torques, to adjust out any play in the bearing, different size spacers and shims are added or removed.

Could you elaborate on this? - as from the parts book, there is a washer between the outer bearing and the first nut. then the locking shim which you bend over the nut faces when tight.

The only spacers in the wheel hub assembly (to my knowledge) are the ones used to pack out the CV joint spindal when it pops through the driving member, as to put the CV joint in the right place inside the swival and so the half shaft doesn't protrude to far inside the diff assembly?

post-20087-127970417995_thumb.jpg