series 3/lt77 query

flatback90

i'm in the middle of building a series 3 with a 200tdi disco lump and an defender lt77 behind it. my intention is to put free wheeling hubs on the front so that the front driveshaft knuckles are not under load for road use, however in a rare moment of clarity i relaised that the lt77 would have to be in difflock all the time..... what are the long term effects of running in difflock all the time? are there any? thanks

Dont run it that way as its horrible, loads of back lash from the center diff, i tried it and resorted to a stage 1 v8 axle. Alternatively buy an ashcroft kit or do it yourself by some welding and machine work.

G

I run the LT230 in full time 4wd with a standard series front axle.

You get a small amount of kick back through the steering when at full lock on the road but thats all.

IMHO free wheeling hubs have no place on a landrover. Take them off and throw them away.

I've been through the Ashcroft etc kits using the series transfer box and the LT230 is a far and away better unit - fit and forget.

Jon

• 1 month later...

It's much weaker than the LT230 and requires an expensive adapter kit to make it fit an LT77/R380.

The Series gear box is certainly weaker than the LT77 or R380, but I have never heard of a broken Series transfer box, regardless of what engine is turning it or what idiot is driving it. I don't think transfer box reliability is a problem, but your point about the expense of the adaptor kit is entirely accurate!

I think the point of the adaptor kit to mate the series transfer box to a LT77 is so you retain the 2wd, the 4 high and 4 low as the vehicle was designed for.

I know many run the series front axle on the LT230 transfer box in 4wd, and have no issues.

But no one can argue really that the series front axle (excluding the Stage 1 axle) was not designed to run permanent 4wd.

Thats why the later axles and the stage one had CV's not UJ's.

And I know you can convert a LT230 to 2wd and then 4wd difflocked.

Its what I would be tempted to do, if I pop my gearbox behind the 200TDI....

Does that kit then give you 2 low?

And are the kits improved from when there was a thread on this forum about the quality of it?

The Series gear box is certainly weaker than the LT77 or R380, but I have never heard of a broken Series transfer box, regardless of what engine is turning it or what idiot is driving it. I don't think transfer box reliability is a problem, but your point about the expense of the adaptor kit is entirely accurate!

I can describe the kind of idiot lol!

I was doing donuts in 2wd with the back axle ARB locked and Special Tracks. Stripped the input and intermediate gears! It was however one of Ashcrofts Hi-Ratio units. Strangely he wouldn't replace it under warranty, something to do with it being 14 years old lol!

I would like to run 2wd or 4wd in mine when I finally get it done but I won't as permanent 4wd makes it less likely I'll pop something in a moment of madness :unsure:

And I know you can convert a LT230 to 2wd and then 4wd difflocked.

Its what I would be tempted to do, if I pop my gearbox behind the 200TDI....

Does that kit then give you 2 low?

And are the kits improved from when there was a thread on this forum about the quality of it?

The LT230 2x4 kit gives you the same setup as the Series box - the hi/low works the same and the difflock (side to side lever) becomes RWD/4WD. Works nicely, I've done thousands of miles and a few donuts on mine now behind the 4.6 and it hasn't complained. I may be swapping transfer boxes shortly, so if I do a stripdown I'll post anything interesting.

The kit is irritating mainly because you're paying for a couple of free-wheeling hubs you don't need. You could DIY it for very cheap by welding an output gear to the central spider and sourcing a bearing or bushing for the front output shaft.

Img_0235.jpg

Will Ashcroft sell just the conversion parts, without the hubs? Because that would be cheaper.... :)

I will see how my series box holds up, but if it breaks, I will most likely get a LT77 with LT230 transfer and then convert to 2wd/4wd...

Am I right in thinking that it gives you:

2wd High

2wd Low

4wd high difflocked

4wd low difflocked

(So basically a series setup with 2wd low added?)

Its the defender 200tdi lt77 I would need, isnt it? For the shorter bell housing?

You can't buy just the conversion bits separately, believe me, I had even less use for them as I'm not even running LR axles :P

Am I right in thinking that it gives you:

2wd High

2wd Low

4wd high difflocked

4wd low difflocked

Yep.

Its the defender 200tdi lt77 I would need, isnt it? For the shorter bell housing?

If you're fitting a 200TDi then yes. Gear shifter in correct place & bellhousing / input gear correct.