6x6 Defender

L19MUD

Saw this at Billing. Quite imposing, but what was he thinking with that paint job?

Was thinking about 6x6. I note he has free-wheeling hubs on the rear axle to allow for on-road driving. I wonder how practical it would be to fit a Quaife viscous coupling in the drive train between axles to give permanent 6x6. I know there would be issues with prop lengths, oil bath etc, but as a fit-and-forget working drive train I think it would be a good concept. Just needs a bit of thought to make it work.

Steps back and awaits the brickbats.....

Saw this at Billing. Quite imposing, but what was he thinking with that paint job?

Was thinking about 6x6. I note he has free-wheeling hubs on the rear axle to allow for on-road driving. I wonder how practical it would be to fit a Quaife viscous coupling in the drive train between axles to give permanent 6x6. I know there would be issues with prop lengths, oil bath etc, but as a fit-and-forget working drive train I think it would be a good concept. Just needs a bit of thought to make it work.

Steps back and awaits the brickbats.....

Or how about using this system for torque sensing 6 wheel driveLinky :unsure:

I asked the seller about the 6wd Its done by the old trick of cutting the diff pan off the middle axle and bolting another diff case/pinion assembly minus carrier bearing lugs on the back in place of the old pan, the rear axle diff will be flipped as well as the inter-axle prop will rotate the opposite way to the prop from the gearbox. The FWH on the rear axle will be to reduce wind up.

I remeber seeing this before too... I wonder how well it drives on the motorway..... I'd have thought a 2.5ltr would have been a little underpowered for such a beast?

mav

Based on my experience of the TD5 I wouldn't but anything else in something that size. What would you suggest?