Diff lock symbol

Right then as the title states.

I can get the gear lever to work no problem goes in and out of Diff lock, Hi and Low (quite smooth really),

so no issues using it only the light on the dash panel does not come on?

I have checked the bulb and fuses all are good (for a change).

Is there a sensor to check?..... and as I'm guessing the next thing will be some sort of wire, where do I

find it?

Cheers Mutley

IIRC there is a wire that pushes onto the top of the transfer box as well as the reverse light switch that often comes loose which in turn stops your light on your dash working. Thats what happened to me with my 300tdi 90. I found the wire by removing the centre seat box tray, its a bit fiddly to push the wire back on to the pegs but it can be done. Someone correct me if this is wrong, but im sure thats what i did.

Yes, there is a wire to a switch on the T/box but it might also be that the switch has come loose and needs adjusting.

It's mounted through a threaded hole with an operating pin through the centre of the switch, adjust it by turning the switch body, remember to tighten the locknut after it's in the right place.

The switch is just below the hi/lo lever shown as 10 with 2 vertical pins for the wires.

post-13593-053305200 1286188183_thumb.gif

I can get the gear lever to work no problem goes in and out of Diff lock, Hi and Low (quite smooth really),

Is there a sensor to check?..... and as I'm guessing the next thing will be some sort of wire, where do I

find it?

Cheers Mutley

Mine works but takes 50yds or so after moving off to illuminate. Same when disengaging 50yds then off.

Wondering if there is a pawl or dog which has to drop in before the selection is valid.

find it?

Cheers Mutley

The terminals can also rot off the t/box switch. (guess how I know!)The switch is on

top of the t/box. I think you can get at it just by removing the driver's side floor plate.

(I'd got the tunnel off as well as I was working on the linkages, so can't swear to this)

Oh whooooops of joy! another simple solution but an absolute mare to get to job to fix! Great! :lol:

So basically we are going to skin every knuckle involved, dislocate shoulder and elbow, take dog to

the vets after being kicked several times, just because it was the only thing in reach, then re-assure

the wife that everything I have just said about "HER" being ungrateful, inconsiderate, money eating,

time consuming, mother ****** waste of space, wasn't actually aimed at HER!

Mutley

difflock light will only illuminate when the diff is actual locked, not when it is selected.

Yes, when you push the lever, you are pushing on a spring. The spring pushes on the dog clutch selector. This selector shaft engages the switch. The splines need to line up to actually engage the lock. You may need to turn to have it engage.

Have a read of the workshop manual. It explains how to setup the switch with nice pictures.....

Think I have foung the Diff lock switch but has no wires to it :angry:

Where should they come from? I know they end up at the dash panel but what path does it take?

So I can see if I can trace it back and then extend to the switch :)

Plus cant find anything on adjusting the switch ie. do you just tighten it up a bit more till

the light comes on or it goes "Ping"?

Cheers Mutley

Assuming that the wiring on your vehicle is the same as on my 1990 90, the wire to the diff lock warning lamp switch is black with a blue trace and it runs from the bulkhead down under the driver's feet along the top of the chassis rail. It's tied to, but not part of, the main loom. It's got a black sleeve over the top for most of its length so you can only see the wire and tracer colour at the ends.

Nick.

Cheers nick will have a look Saturday and report back

Any advance on how to and buy how much to adjust the switch?

Cheers Mutley

Assuming you are changing the switch, start by cleaning the top of the t/box.

Remove the old switch and start the new one in a couple of turns.

Engage the diff. lock, making sure it is engaged - jack up a wheel and rotate it

until it engages.

Connect a meter or test lamp across the switch and screw it in until the lamp just lights

or the meter flicks.

Give the switch another half turn in and tighten the lock nut.

Screwing the switch too far can stop the diff. lock engaging.

Thanks for that Briaston, as previously stated will report back the out come,

that said if i can still type after being bandaged up from scrapping knuckels and the likes.

Cheers Mutley

It's not that hard to do! I managed it, so you should be able to.

Reporting back!!!

We have a result!....ME 1...Defender 0

Thanks for all the help and support guys, everything was spot on from the colour of the wires

and to how much of a pain it was to get to. But we now have a Diff lock light on the dash, so it's all good.

Thanks again Mutley