Goodwinch new G12

andylandy

I e-mailed "The Daddy of Winching" to ask how much the G12 weighs compared to, say, an H14, and this was the fantastically accurate response I got:

So he doesn't actually know how much it weighs, or if he does he's not admitting to it :ph34r:

I reckon just the drum on my H14 weighs about the same as an M8000/X9 - so he's got plenty of scope with those figures.

I am a bit dismayed by the negativity - lets see it in action before its condemned :(

Andy - I think its great to see new stuff, ordinarily Im flying the flag for anyone trying new ways but to say I was disappointed when the daddy of winching wouldnt (couldnt/didnt want to?) answer some really simple questions was a bit of an understatement - this isnt a guy in his workshop doing his own thing- this is a business and he's touting it as the worlds greatest winch - in his own words he "didnt know anything about the other winches on the market" and this is based on his 20 years of experience????

Jims twin motor 8274 on the other hand (and this goes against our mutal open warfare agreement :lol: ) is neat, well thought out and professional..

Agreed seeing the behemouth in action would be the best course but when will that be? I know Im just a jaded cynic and wary of fairy dust claims from manufacturers but I would really like to see a demo

does this mean you're going to put swarf in my coffee again? (at least I thought it was swarf) :blink:

*Leans round corner and raises glasses*

"Jez being nice..........In public"

Stumbled in into one those Parallel universe things..........weird :lol::lol:

On a serious note.....

Davids winch is quite an engineering feat, and diserves to be given a fair crack of the whip....

Suprised he's launched before full production units are availbale, but thats his choice.

Waiting for Andy to give his opinion on it, (He was testing with David at the weekend)

And i think this winch will fullfil a great many critirea outside offroading.

We all have to remember that David is not just looking at the Offroad market, but military and commerical aspects as well.

That said, can't wait to put our winches head to head, should be fun

Regards

Jim

What interests me is at what point it becomes impractical to use 12V electrics - 11hp is a lot of juice, winch challenge or military recovery there comes a point when something like hydro or PTO is a much more practical option.

If you look at commercial winches, although electrics are becoming more popular as motors get more efficient and cheaper, anything bigger than ~12,000lb tends to be hydro.

Do we know if 11hp is the energy consumption of the motors or the actual useful output?

Throwing a few rough numbers around, 11hp ~= 8kw ~= 680A which is just an insane amount of current to have flying round. The wiring becomes ultra-critical and the smallest resistance suddenly causes a huge drop in effective power, not to mention dissipating a lot of heat. You're looking at ~200mmsq cable to handle the current, most people by this point would be using copper bus-bar :o

There's also the battery issue - no alternator around kicks out anywhere near enough juice to keep that beastie going, so you're gonna need big batteries to keep it going if you're using it in anger. Then it comes down to how quickly you can re-cycle the battery between pulls, and how well the battery will stand up to that sort of usage.

Seen the beast in the flesh at Billing./ .. interesting..

I ahve not doubt it'll be capabale .. but it hasn't got a chance in hell of competing against the gigglepin twin motor.. the G12 is slower (even on the fast gear), unbelievable noisy - no sneaking up on the bad guys with that baby working (with the army in mind). I did like however the over run.. there wasn't a great deal of it. Unlike the 8274 which seems to keep going for about 5 mins before it stops. :D

The real funny bit is the price tag - - He said at the show.. £2500 for a buy now price - -but £3000 after the show.. CRAZY PRICE.

Gigglepin twin however - £2000 take it home now sorta stuff.

if I had silly money to spend on a winch I would stick with the 8274 twin motor - that way you don't have to have four front springs just to hold the thing in the air.

Just my oppinion... and no I don't work for Jim, but he did give me a can of coke at the show.. :D which is also wear I saw them demonstrated (load free that is)

Just my oppinion... and no I don't work for Jim, but he did give me a can of coke at the show.. :D which is also wear I saw them demonstrated (load free that is)

I think Jim's winch is great, however I should point out I know nothing about winches and this view point is purely based on the fact that he gave me 5 cans of beer at the said show !

Hey take it from someone thats got one of Jimbos twin motor winches that it does work :D:D

I hadnt run an 8274 on the front for a few years & the 1st time i tried it was at Muddy Truckers & wasnt convinced to begin with about its power! But it was still F*** fast compared to the G12 when putting the cable on & off.

But Byrn was already convinced :rolleyes:

The 2 nd time i used it there was a full lenght pull up to a tree at 60 Degrees ish & both vehicles could winch up the same time to get the punch :blink: well i was winching back down by the time that Bryn new 8274 50 gave up & needed a snatch block :ph34r:

The only thing i found is that i need to run a 2nd power cable to the batterys from the twin albrights not 1.

And i just ordered a 180 amp premier power welder alternator that continuously rated & puts out 120ampos at 2000rpm apparantly. :D

Personally dont ant to go 24v yet .

I'd totally agree that the G12 is a great peice of engineering but I don't think its right for whinch challenging. Jim's stuff, on the other hand, is designed with competition in mind. That's why my money for winches will go to him.

I was having the 12V / 24V debate with a friend the other day. He thought 12V was simpler, I think its too inefficient with big motors. As you said FF, with a pair of motors you've got a lot of current being used and I2R losses become pretty big. You also start needing very bling alternators and my experience of those is they really, really don't like winching as they tend to get hot, the protection electrics take over and they shut down leaving you stuck :( With mine I'll be using a nice, simple 24V setup for the winches with a single battery 12V setup for everything else (GPS, lights, etc).

snap......... :D

Pah ………. Zero current draw ………… and no electrical dependence :P

:D

Ian

good old Mechanical, it worked for 15 years on mine, the winch is 35 years old, getting a bit tired now.

But hey, what do I know?

Daan

Well first impressions are very good

The free spool is amazing with my Reeboks on I had a job to keep the rope of the floor (120ft payout)

if you where against an 8274 you would be pulling hard before the 8274 would have paid out we done some steep pulls and it is effortless this was all done in high gear mode the low gear mode selector is being fitted this week and my next test with hardened gears is the week after aug bank holiday week end this is where the testing will go up a level

I will not be one sided on this reporting as its only fair for you to get a good feed back on the winch

As Jim knows I have a lot of time for what he is doing to the 8274

i cant give figures out yet but if i can answer any questions i will do my best

by the way jez your swampers have seen better days how many miles you done on them

Field testing is cool - good to hear Andy, my Boggers are only a few km's old, maybe 10 at a push but Ive not been very nice to them :( I think about 5mm tread loss?!?

yep - I like 2 amps - not quite as good as Daans 0A but it'll do for me :)

Field testing is cool - good to hear Andy, my Boggers are only a few km's old, maybe 10 at a push but Ive not been very nice to them :( I think about 5mm tread loss?!?

yep - I like 2 amps - not quite as good as Daans 0A but it'll do for me :)

You don't use a hydr.electric operated valve are you Jezz? Thought you used mechanical valve so no amp draw at al is there??

"2 Amps" :hysterical:

PMSL

Yeah, 2 Amps :D,

and maybe possibly jumping hugely to 3 if you toggle both levers or even use both front and rear together ? :lol:

Nige

Isn't that 2 amsp plus one v exp to tune 280bhp Eales V8 Nige?

Seems funny for all that money the Eales can't do it without that extra 2 amps :ph34r:

Yes, that's my coat ....

yep - I run electro valves Rob, keeps my hands free for throwing things at my navigator :ph34r:

Huh then i was mistaken thought you had manual operated valves. You are right it's important to throw something when you want. You had never any problems with the solenoids when you where acting as a sub marine???