My First Prop UJ Replacement

OK, turns out that the big vibration I've been getting is from a worn UJ so I have my new joint and am preparing to replace it. It's my first time doing this and is probably the most complicated job I've done so far (I know some of you are wetting yourselves with laughter at this :P )

I'm following this terrific guide:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7982

thought I'd give you a step-by-step rundown of my progress, or lack of it :lol:

first thing I've done is jacked Serenity up and popped her on some axle stands on the rear axle. I've just been undoing the nuts at the axle end and have realised I will have to take the truck off the axle stands and move her slightly to allow me access to the fourth nut!! Rookie error?

John

Can't you just twist the prop to allow access?

If the front wheels are both chocked then it shouldn't be going anywhere, so you can take the handbrake off. I generally just jack one rear wheel up, so I can chock the other one, giving me three chocked wheels, but I work on a slope more often than not...so stopping it rolling is somewhat of a priority!

It only seemed to turn it so far. I'm working on a flat surface so I've taken it off the stands and its been much easier to roll it back and forth (carefully of course).

Things I've learnt so far:

1. It saves a lot of time and effort to give nuts a quick spray with wd40 and a clean before trying to remove them :rolleyes:

2. to move out the way before spraying wd40. on to the nuts. directly above your head. :ph34r:

you wouldn't have thought I was an educated man would you!! :lol:

got the prop off and I'm just giving the area around the circlip a good clean before removing them.

And speaking of proper tools, the next thing I've learnt is:

3. Have a PROPER, WELL MADE circlip remover!!!!!!

It has taken me an hour to remove them. The nibs on the circlip tool (or at least, I thought it was a circlip tool) broke immediately so I've been trying to remove the clips by wedging very small screwdrivers in and trying to prise the clips out!!!

I am FREEZING!!!

what a mission, I hope some of you are finding this amusing. for me the novelty is wearing off.

I find that my 12V rattle gun with a propshaft tool on is a very handy way of getting props off. Would prefer an air-powered one though, the battery one gets very heavy after holding it up above your head with one arm for a while!

JJB: Using a vice makes pressing the cups in/out easier I've found.

well, I'm sure you've realised from my silence that things have not gone well.

Took me ages to remove the old uj!! I literally resorted to beating it with the hammer to get it out.

once I got it out I cleaned the end of the prop and the flange and tried fitting the new uj.

that went well :rolleyes:

I knocked the rollers out of one cap and bent a seal. So, another trip to my mechanic's house to purchase another uj. He wasn't home so his wife came with me to his workshop and while on the phone to her husband, she searched his store room for another part. I dropped her off at her place and headed back home to try again.

This time I tried filing the insides of the housings to make sure they were smooth to make it easier to get the caps in. I also soaked the housings in boiling water to make them expand.

It worked and I got all of the caps in the housing, fitted the uj and put the circlips in. Whoop!

By this time its dark so I'm out on my front drive trying to reattach the prop with nothing but the light of what can only be described as a toy torch to help me!

I finally get the prop on and take Serenity for a test drive.

I pull away and think, "well at least it's driving". I get 100 meters down the road and BANG! THUMP THUMP THUMP!

I pull over and get under the truck. you guessed it. no uj.

I'm cold, filthy, cold, miserable, I have no truck, I'm going to have to buy ANOTHER uj and pay for someone to fit it, and I'm cold.

The other thing I've learnt today:

4. Changing a UJ is not as easy as people will have you believe. I admire those of you who are good at repairing/modifying your own trucks. I think I'll play it safe in future and use my mechanic :lol:

Hey John !

Dont give up mate, if you need a hand give me a shout.

Ive done a couple of prop UJ's

Dont forget though you can still use your truck just pop it in diff lock with the bad prop removed, dont go crazy and the truck will drive fine.

Ive got a propshaft tool as well...

give me a call

Andy

Thanks guys, having let a few hours go by I have calmed down a bit and am prepared to have another go at doing it myself. I think I really need a vice as I've not got one and it seems pretty essential. I will defo take you up on the offer of help though Andy if you really don't mind.

I think the main thing as Anderzander says is to have the right tools. I think I know what I'll be spending my Christmas money on :)

Of course, some decent weather would help! I've only just warmed up :D

I realise this is a statement of the bleedin' obvious, and involves the commitment of additional cash, but I found my 90 was eating UJs so often that it made sense to purchase a second set of prop shafts so that once I started the process of swapping one I was not committed to having to finish the job before I could get the vehicle back on the road.

Nick.

Even if you have to do it twice and buy a propshaft nut tool and a vice, it's probably still cheaper than paying someone else to do them as it's mostly labour time. Plus you'll be that much better prepped next time round.

Is it possible you hadn't got the circlips fully seated in their grooves first time round?

Nick - it begs the question ..... why was it eating UJ's!?

Most likely knackered bearings on the transfer box (which have now been fixed) but that's not really the point. Having only limited time to mess about with it, sometimes it's necessary to live with a short term fix until it's possible to make the time to do the job properly.

Nick.

A good vice and a socket set (use the sockets to push the bearings in) are essential. I would also say that practice makes perfect with this job, I have done a few now and it seems easy. The first time I did it I destroyed one set of bearings and had to get another UJ. The moral of this story is to buy one more UJ than you are going to use. I always carry a spare when going into the bush.

Thanks again everyone for their help. I am having to go the easy route and get it done by a mechanic today as I need my truck tomorrow and can't afford any delays or more cockups. Until I have the right tools I can't afford to waste anymore money on UJ's. I'm just glad I had the sense to practise on cheapo britpart uj's rather than spend good money on genuine parts!

However, I'm going to give it a go again soon but there are a few things I need before doing it again.

For anyone who is thinking of attempting to change their uj's themselves make sure you have a vice. As everyone here says, it is essential. The problem I had was I was having to knock the caps in to the housing, causing the pins to fall out of the grease. :rolleyes: If you have a vice you can force the caps in using a socket from a socket set. This seems a much simpler way of doing it and there is no heavy impact involved to jar the pins.

Also, it took me ages to remove the old circlips because I didn't have a decent quality tool so you can save yourself loads of time by having the right tools for the job.

By the next time I do this job I will make sure I have the following:

1. Propshaft nut tool (although I managed ok with a 14mm spanner I can see this saving time);

2. A decent circlip tool;

3. A vice;

4. At least 2 UJ's so if it does go wrong I'm not rushing around on Christmas Eve searching for a part!

John

This time I tried filing the insides of the housings to make sure they were smooth to make it easier to get the caps in. I also soaked the housings in boiling water to make them expand.

John,

I strongly advise against this. You should not need to file the caps for the Bearing cups to fit.

If there's a bit of rust on the outside ends of the caps, a bit of fine emery cloth should be sufficient to clean them up. Filing the caps could introduce excessive play and may mean the replacement of the propshaft if you go too far.

Good circlip pliers are a necessity for this job too, but even they cannot guarantee you will get the circlips out easily, they can be rusted in and often require the use of screwdrivers as you describe. I would just say that you should wear protective eyewear whilst doing this.

Keep trying though, it is really one of the simpler jobs on a Land Rover.

HTH

Mark.

Thanks Mark,

It was only a bit of a rub with the file really to smooth the edges around the housing, the propshaft is 18 years old after all. Trust me, I didn't go crazy! But perhaps emery cloth would be better, although I did use a fairly fine file.

Good point about the protective eyewear actually, one circlip did pop out at some speed and narrowly missed my head!