where the hell do i purchase ep90 :D

ricky tango

here's a question for you lot where the hell are you getting ep90 from having just completely rebuilt both axles with kam lockers and new timken wheel bearings etc i am now also converting to oil run wheel bearings front and rear

nige advised the use of ep90 as a slightly thicker choice from the 80w90 thats readily available

and to note my diffs are pegged using a Phosphor Bronze pad which i believe gl5 is not compatible with ??

so suggestions please

Ta Rick

well my mrs works at gsf car oarts and they only stock 80w90

and i phoned camberley auto factors and euro car parts and they both said 80w90 is ep90 so that werent helpful , i wanted to get this sorted to get the car out end of the week as the old mans clutch has gone and so i'd like to do that under cover :S

hmm i think im going to end up bothering nige with this one (sorry nige) to see if theres some where local to him he gets it from and i'll have to go for a drive if it really has to be ep90

looked on morris and they dont state an ep90 +not sure how quick there postage is

i can get 80w90 penrite / millers through a friend

i suppose its a phone call in the morning to mr barker to clear things up a little

Get out the yellow pages, under motor factors look for Unipart Automotive or Andrew Pages, both stock it.

Failing that, I'm sure Truck and Trailer Parts do it http://www.trptruckandtrailerparts.com/

All should have a depot not too far from you.

Whilst you're there price up your engine oil. 25 litre drums are about £50 (5W/30 fully synthetic).

as above - your local truck parts supplier or truck servicing depot will stock 25l barrels of a variety of engine oils and gear oils.

I get mine from a little place in ossett, £50 for 25l 10w40 semi synth engine oil and £45 for 25l ep90 mineral.

its a brand i have never heard or seen on a shelf before, but if its good enough for HGVs then its good enough for my 90.

Stupid question alert, but why EP90 and not EP80w90?

It's only 1 grade thinner when cold, and the same grade when up to temperature....? IMHO it would make bugger all difference, apart from maybe slowing a leaking seal, which you shouldn't have on a newly built diff...

You have permission to call me thick if I have missed the point :)

how close to feltham? I can check a couple of locals

bedfont / feltham :D

right ive tried trp, millers, uni part / everywhere suggested above lol there all 80w90

not had a chance to speak to nige today so not sure i deffinately have to have 90 ep or whether 80w90 will do

right after a bit of a chat with nige he cleared things up a little stating that ep90 was a prefered oil ( as its a bit more stable with its viscosity )

and advised something a little closer 85 w 90. so i set off to get this and :D i stumbled across a supplier ep90 it appears euro car parts carry it but didn't list it , and :) that is now also sorted and up on there site .

so there you have it go to euro car parts

( as its a bit more stable with its viscosity )

I'm sorry, what? I thought the whole reason for multigrade oils was to maintain a more stable viscosity across a broader temperature range?

Nige, come on out and explain yourself! :lol:

well from how i understood it the 90 is slightly thicker all the time

and the 85w 90 is thinner when cold

i dont quite understand it myself but Nige has a few more years on me and so i am just following my instructions taking note all the way , so i now understand the ins and outs of an lr axle build, having only serviced modern cars and following workshop manuals and general fabrication with metal and elecctrics, i will soon be tempted to take my v8 to pieces just to see whats inside hey !! :)

... ok maybe not thats running fine for the moment for once