200, 300 ??

Steve Parker have a very nice 88" with a 300 Tdi.

Had a good look at it and very tidy conversion and I think they're planing on offering a kit to do it.

I had a 200 Tdi waiting to go in, otherwise I'd have no issues fitting a 300 Tdi. I have both engines and like them both. It is just that the chassis on the Series is galvanized and the engine mount was already modified to take a 2.5 N/A. Once it is finished I'll do a write up so you can all shoot at me..

Friends have 200 Tdi's in their Series and really abuse it - no probs. with the gearbox.

Just be sensible with the loud pedal..

Edited by Arjan

I swapped my 2.5TD for a disco 200tdi some months ago, did it all myself and really learned a lot! A 300tdi is cheaper to find, but I didn't want to modify the chassis and some parts of the 2.5TD are the same on the 200tdi so I have some spares now. Got a Steve Parkers exhaust downpipe and the turbo from a 300tdi to fit it nicely.

On 14/09/2015 at 6:12 PM, blindsteviemac said:

Hi, I've got a 1988 110 2.5td and a discovery 300tdi for a donor. I think I will keep the LT77, where is the best place to send my gearbox for refurb, and can i fit an overdrive? Thanks.

You'll find overdrives for standard Series transmissions and standard Defender transmission, but if you mix and match with an LT77 or R380 and Series transfer box, you won't be able to fit an overdrive without some very serious custom work.  However, the Series transfer box (1.15:1) is higher ratio than the Defender (1.4:1) or Discovery (1.22:1), so with the fifth gear from the later gear box, you won't need overdrive anyway (fifth is in fact an overdriving gear).

As for which of the 77 and 380 to use, the 110's will be about 4" longer than the Series box, while the 3980 will be vastly longer.  Both would require the engine to be moved, but the R380 would be a struggle even if you fit Defender rad panel and bonnet.

I find that SIII transmission and overdrive behind a Tdi is a little under geared, but adding 3.54 diffs leaves it well over geared.  I hated the 3.54s, though they made motorways much quieter.  I have a 4.1 Dana60 R&P gear set to go in, and pending that trial, will match the front axle.  It should be just about right.

With respect to the widespread comments that a Series box can't handle a Tdi, then that is just urban myth as long as the box is in reasonable order, oil is regularly checked and replaced on schedule.  If you drive badly, with heavy feet, then it will let go, but if you have any mechanical sympathy, then it'll cope.  I did have a single failure due to the Tdi, but only because it was in combination with overdrive and 3.54 diffs, accelerating fairly hard up a 1:10 hill in 3rd OD.  My fault.  With just overdrive and 4.71 (series) diffs, it coped perfectly well driving hard up Alpine skislopes heavily laden and ran fault free for several more years until six months after I fit those 3.54 diffs.  

I had two exhausts from Steve Parker, one for the 200Tdi and one for the 12J that preceded it.  Both downpipes fit like they been made up by blind men one a YTS scheme.  Utter carp, but not as bad as their threatening and abusive behaviour when I complained.  I can't recommend strongly enough to stay away from that rogue trader.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have foggys photos and diagram of the 300tdi bracket for engine conversion? Can it be sent to <email removed>.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Retroanaconda
Email removed

1 hour ago, Dahmun said:

Does anyone have foggys photos and diagram of the 300tdi bracket for engine conversion? Can it be sent to <email removed>.

Thanks in advance.

Have a look on our Tech Archive index pretty sure it's in there or at least linked to the relevant thread.

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

Probably best to ask if people could PM it to you or put it back on the forum than post your email for all to see. 

Can anyone pm me the photos and diagram of foggys 300tdi conversion bracket?

On 5/30/2017 at 3:13 PM, Snagger said:

I had two exhausts from Steve Parker, one for the 200Tdi and one for the 12J that preceded it.  Both downpipes fit like they been made up by blind men one a YTS scheme.  Utter carp, but not as bad as their threatening and abusive behaviour when I complained.  I can't recommend strongly enough to stay away from that rogue trader.

Second that.

A friend had them fit a 300 in place of his 200, he didn't want to modify the chassis because it is galvanised, the price was enormous, £4,000+, even after he sourced the engine for them. They also managed to damage the brand new radiator he sent them and insisted that he replace it. He has subsequently discovered numerous lash ups they committed, especially with the way the electric fan was  fitted and wired, the way the air filter from a Discovery was adapted to make it fit and the fuel system

Having been in the vehicle since the conversion, it is horrible. The thing vibrates worse than a road drill, no seriously. I had a 300 for many years and while they vibrate a bit they are not too bad, but this thing is just horrible. 

I have found this: I think it might be a pic of the mount that you are looking for, or perhaps someone's interpretation of it. As one who changes a 300tdi's oil from time to time and with big hands, I think I would widen it a bit so you could more easily get your hand in to the filter. post-25240-254587.thumb.jpg.d2d5a4ea8c4e01483915092fd79f6153.jpg

• 2 years later...

What a fantastic forum with so much info on replacing engines, I am putting a 300tdi into a series 3 galvanised chasis & would love to see a dimentioned drawing of the fabricated mount, so much time must have gone into checking dimensions to make the first one & it was very kind to share but unfortunatly we can no longer view the dimensions, I would also extend it a bit to give more room to change the filter, would it be posible to show dimensioned drawing again?

many thanks for all the advice, Pete.

8 hours ago, Petesrover said:

What a fantastic forum with so much info on replacing engines, I am putting a 300tdi into a series 3 galvanised chasis & would love to see a dimentioned drawing of the fabricated mount, so much time must have gone into checking dimensions to make the first one & it was very kind to share but unfortunatly we can no longer view the dimensions, I would also extend it a bit to give more room to change the filter, would it be posible to show dimensioned drawing again?

many thanks for all the advice, Pete.

Are you looking to weld a bracket to your chassis to accept the 300tdi mount or fabricate the mount that bolts to the block but forms a box round the oil filter? 

If the former then the link Western shared is for you. If however it is the latter then you need to make a box from 6mm plate to go round the oil filter and bolt to the block with a plate angled and drilled to accept the engine mount onto your chassis. Making a card or plywood mockup really helps to the dimensions, holes and angle right before you start cutting and welding 6mm plate. 

• 3 months later...

Not been on here for a while so very sorry for the late reply, Firsty, thank you for the above advice, it always makes a job easier when you know it has been done before, & even easier with a few tips.

I do not want to do any welding to the chasis as the only reason I have gone back to Landrover is for the tax & mot excemption & the fact that parts are so cheap & although pigs to work on in the 70's compaired to cars of the time, they are now much simpler & easier to work on than the modern cars, with so much less to go wrong, I have now got the engine & box in the chassis & am thinking I may move the oil filter to make up a simple mount for the engine, or box the filter in, or just weld an extension to the original plate & try & catch a bolt hole infront of the filter, but first I want a door on my workshop as it is getting cold.

Also wondering how dificult it would be to convert alternator & water pump to V belt drive?

Mount alternator where air con pump would fit & fit viscos fan onto the alternator, thus doing away with belt tensioner, power stearing pump, idler on timing case & need of an electric fan?

I know it is a bit more work, but less to go wrong?