Your views/reccomendations

Need your advice and views on whether or not I should mount my spare on my bonnet. now a few points to consider:

The bonnet is an old style one with steel support frame so can take a wheel.

My wheels are 275/66 R16's

Got harder springs on the front to take into account winch/bumper and wheel etc.

While testing I manged to open the bonnet myself but its flipping heavy. From inside the cab it does sit high on the bonnet but I felt happy enough that it didn't obstuct my vision.

I've presetly got the wheel strapped against the passanger side in the back - which obviously takes up quite a lot of space. I have got a swing away carrier for the rear door, but the wheel is so heavy its putting heaps of stress on the back door and it doesn't seem to fit very well - not sure what make it is, as it was on the truck when I got it. I've got verious steps and brackets already on the back too so will have to faff about making any rear spare wheel carrier fit properly, also the wheel gets in the way of towball mounted bike rack, hence why I'm thinking of going down the bonnet route.

A couple of questions, does anyone know if this wheel size will fit on a standard army/LR bonnet wheel mount?

and does it look alright?

post-20087-0-51901800-1297014056_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-30920400-1297014081_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-55492100-1297014110_thumb.jpg

any comments are welcome.

Cheers

Mav

I mounted my boost alloy to my 03 defender with no problem, I used a rear spare wheel carrier and and the rubber bonnet shocks, whilst it was heavy I didn't have any problems with vision or the bonnet falling off or cracking or any of the other "sky falling down" predictions and did thousands of miles with it like that.

I have only removed it now as building the overland trailer and want to move them onto that and the bonnet spare was the second spare, but if needed to do again would put it back there, I have driven lots of Land Rovers with bonnet mounted spares and have never had a problem although I could see if you were a short arse you may have an issue. I also admit it was heavy when lifting the bonnet and would have hurt if it had fallen on me but also kept the bonnet on in high winds where others have been caught and come down off the stay and onto people.

The only issue I had with the bonnet spare was when trying to use the windscreen wash the air flow around the wheel would prevent the central jet putting water onto the screen. I corrected this by putting two jets in this also uses less water.

Jason.

On my 110, the spare wheel is mounted on the door, albeit a 7.50 on a modula rim. Yes it does make the door a wee bit heavier, but this is how the door was designed to cope with the stress.

When a blind muppet didn't see me last year, and ran into the back of me, the spare acted like a shock absorber for the impact, and saved my passengers and I alot of injury (the guy hit me doing 25-30mph!)

On my SII, the wheel was on the bonnet, but I now have it mounted on the bulkhead behind the fron seats.

IMHO the wheel looks like it impedes your forward vision, so I would think about either a good swing away carrier, or door mount on a good door, or mount it behind the front seats at the expense of rear load space.

But this is your Land Rover, so make it your own, and mount it where you want within the law!

HTH

my spare ha always been on the rear door, currently a 255/85 KM2 MT on a XD/wolf steel wheel, I've changed the hinges pins a few times 7 the door was repaiered some time ago, but it works for me, reckon you could loose a decent size car in the spares blind spot with yours on the bonnet.

On my SII, the wheel was on the bonnet, but I now have it mounted on the bulkhead behind the fron seats.

IMHO the wheel looks like it impedes your forward vision, so I would think about either a good swing away carrier, or door mount on a good door, or mount it behind the front seats at the expense of rear load space.

Aye, with regard to forward vision, do you know if there's a guidline with regard judging whats inside the law? Like I said I had a wee drive around with it up there and it to be honest I've got such an elavated driving position anyway it didn't feel uncomfortable.

Hi, just reading your topic with interest, i have mounted my spare on the bonnet of my 90 only cos the mounts were already there, its a 235/70/16 so quite heavy but does'nt obstruct my view, my only problem is it takes two people to open the bonnet, one pulling the release handle and one up front to make the bonnet release.

is this normal for for this kind of mount? cheers.

Hi, just reading your topic with interest, i have mounted my spare on the bonnet of my 90 only cos the mounts were already there, its a 235/70/16 so quite heavy but does'nt obstruct my view, my only problem is it takes two people to open the bonnet, one pulling the release handle and one up front to make the bonnet release.

is this normal for for this kind of mount? cheers.

It's because the spring is not strong enough to push the bonnet up, I used to put the ignition key in the release handle and then could lift the bonnet.

Jason.

Aye, with regard to forward vision, do you know if there's a guidline with regard judging whats inside the law? Like I said I had a wee drive around with it up there and it to be honest I've got such an elavated driving position anyway it didn't feel uncomfortable.

With my 110, I have fitted a set of Mud rails from Mudstuff, which are great, as it raises me up a tad, and gives me more room, so whether a wheel is on the bonnet, or not, forward visability isn't an issue if a tyre was mounted up front.

As I said earlier, it's what suits you that counts. You have to live with the solution.

Yes, mounting the wheel on the bonnet has it's downsides, heavy bonnet to lift, reduced forward visability, but lots of load space in the back.

Mounting the wheel on the back door, does put a small amount of stress on the back door, reduces rear visability but retains load space and leaves the bonnet free.

Mounting the wheel on the rear biulkhead, impedes on rear load space, but deters theft, and you have a light bonnet to lift, and a door that is easier to close.

I have noticed the army have been mounting the spare on the side of their 110's. Just a thought!

With my 110, I have fitted a set of Mud rails from Mudstuff, which are great, as it raises me up a tad, and gives me more room, so whether a wheel is on the bonnet, or not, forward visability isn't an issue if a tyre was mounted up front.

As I said earlier, it's what suits you that counts. You have to live with the solution.

Yes, mounting the wheel on the bonnet has it's downsides, heavy bonnet to lift, reduced forward visability, but lots of load space in the back.

Mounting the wheel on the back door, does put a small amount of stress on the back door, reduces rear visability but retains load space and leaves the bonnet free.

Mounting the wheel on the rear biulkhead, impedes on rear load space, but deters theft, and you have a light bonnet to lift, and a door that is easier to close.

I have noticed the army have been mounting the spare on the side of their 110's. Just a thought!

Yeah the standard "wolf" type fitting is on the side of the truck, now I'm sure I read something about this that it was illegal here as its obstructs your side view... I stand to be corrected. From a stability point of view this isn't such a good idea.

I have had the spare on the back door since it was built , its got to 285/75R16 now , had to replace the hinge balls a couple of times , same with bonnet 265/75r16 was OK but 285 is starting to obstruct slightly . I use the front edge of the bull bar as the designator for area that is obstructed. I cant run with bonnet mounted spare if snow ploughing. IIRC Land rover did drag test on 109 and it was more areodynamic with spare wheel on bonnet. My vehicle has external bonnet release (110 not defender) but It does require good technique to lift (clean and jerk?) . You do need to take extra care if kids are about with the big spare on bonnet , but then you should anyway JMHO

IIRC Land rover did drag test on 109 and it was more areodynamic with spare wheel on bonnet.

I have heard this too - i wonder if it would improve mpg? If my bonnet wasnt in such good condition, i would fit a kit to it to moount the wheel, but its in such good nick, if i fitted the wheel carrier and didnt like it i would have kind of ruined a decent bonnet!

I have heard this too - i wonder if it would improve mpg? If my bonnet wasnt in such good condition, i would fit a kit to it to moount the wheel, but its in such good nick, if i fitted the wheel carrier and didnt like it i would have kind of ruined a decent bonnet!

I had a checker plate cover on my bonnet so when I removed the spare wheel cover I just put a new checker plate pad on, I have kept the old one in case I want to put it back again.

I had a checker plate cover on my bonnet so when I removed the spare wheel cover I just put a new checker plate pad on, I have kept the old one in case I want to put it back again.

It is tempting - it would also stop the bonnet rattling around so much and perhaps help a little with soundproofing as well. I like the French(?) kit that is out there that replaces the hinges and pivots on the bulkhead, but it is pricey. Pics here, but cant find where its for sale right now:

http://www.difflock.com/magazine/4x4_Gear/TD5_spare_wheel_mount.shtml

It is tempting - it would also stop the bonnet rattling around so much and perhaps help a little with soundproofing as well. I like the French(?) kit that is out there that replaces the hinges and pivots on the bulkhead, but it is pricey. Pics here, but cant find where its for sale right now:

http://www.difflock.com/magazine/4x4_Gear/TD5_spare_wheel_mount.shtml

Nice idea, but if my wheel obstructed the view before, it certainly would with a 275 on it plus the depth of the frame, for more standard wheels it would be great. I can see so many plus and minus points, I was debating on ratchet strapping the thing down and going for a longer cruise, see how it felt.

As regards rear storage I did find this (below) which I like imensly, but for that cost I could buy a new set of slimmer tyres and a bonnet mount...

My link

As regards rear storage I did find this (below) which I like imensly, but for that cost I could buy a new set of slimmer tyres and a bonnet mount...

My link

hmmmmmmm, seen that before and immediately discounted it due to its price!! I cant imagine anyone would spend that much money on a wheel mount!

If you are going for the swing out type .....http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=133&category_id=99&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

post-22735-0-83192700-1297095449_thumb.jpg

Basic but relatively cheap compared to Alisport one

I have a spare on the back door (the old style door with three stud carrier), which copes with a steel 8-spoke and 235/85 without trouble, and another on the Tdi type bonnet. I (6') found that the loss of forward visibility between the standard rims with a 7.50 and the 7" rim with 235/85 was quite significant, and I cut the four rubber buffer posts down in length to sit the spare closer to the bonnet to compensate. Even like that, a 235 is as wide as I'd be willing to go. My wife must find it very restrictive at 5'6"

Dont bother with the rubber buffers, the tyre is rubber , makes no difference to the bonnet JMHE

As above I used a newer style rear door carrier on the bonnet and fitted the rubbers which made the wheel stop moving around and held it tight against the rubbers/bonnet and made it very secure. Although I did cut them down a bit I found they made a big difference.