using a v8 for light competing and general off road

using a v8 for light competing and general heavy off road   

25 members have voted

1. 1. using my v8 range hybrid for light competing winching and heavy off roading do i run it manual or auto ?

as the title and poll really , i have my range hybrid bobtailed bullnosed front and rear winches lockers etc etc it is currently mated to an auto box but i have the chance of a free swap for a re con lt77 and all parts needed in exchange for my unit which itself is in very good condition

so the only thing stopping me is knowing whether it is something that wont really effect anything other than the effort i have to put into driving it , or whether i'll benefit or suffer from doing the swap when out on the track

so your thoughts please

lol ok, ok, so the next question is there any real need for all of the upgrade parts for the std zf auto or is it a case of if theres been no trouble with what your doing keep going until it gets upset and throws its toys out the pram then buy the later upgrade parts and have them fitted inside ,

do you all run standard boxes above ??

thanks for your time it is saving me a lot of money and wasted fabrication time to head down the right track first time following the guidance of those who have been there and bought the t shirt

well ive only run around town in a diesel disco manual and i think it is obviously going to be a bit more of a handful when off road what with winching and everything else going on , i was only really asking to see if there were some good solid reasons as to why i should go manual

i have the same desistion to make i've just got a 300tdiauto, and can't make my mind up on weather to fit the new engine and box or keep with the old one(my old LT77 is neckered), i have to replace master & slave cyinder every 2-3 years but have just fitted new 6 months ago

from who i've talked to im on:

auto - 5

manual - 3

I've driven manual off road for the first 20 years of LR onwership.

A year or so back I converted my V8 90 to auto, having driven an auto RRC on road for 3 years and grown to like it. I have to say I am still getting used to the auto off road, it has not quite been a natural transfer for me. Maybe I haven't spent enough time playing yet.

My original reasons for converting were two-fold. Significant pain in clutch leg at the end of the days driving was really the main one, but secondly the 'because I can' thing came into play :rolleyes:

It really is down to personal preference, and what you're used to.

I imagine an auto would be good for control on hills and such, forklifts are mostly automatic these dasys and I find that by using left-foot-braking on our one at work I can be incredibly precise with vehicle control.

Then again a manual box is simpler, and uses less of the engine's power.

Swings and roundabouts really, I have a manual at the moment but wouldn't mind trying an auto at some point. Just to see how it is :)

my vote is with auto all the way, my challenge truck runs mazda SL35T mate to auto box

I have had many manuals v8s 200s 300s mazda etc but to be honest id always now run auto on challenge events etc

like he said do the maths on the pedals but more important you can match forward speed to winch speed rather than having to slip clutch etc ;)

Manuals are more robust & survivable - if they lose oil, overheat, or lose a gear you can still drive them. Autos will die & that's it, if you puncture a hose & lose your fluid = no drive. That's one of the main reasons I stayed manual, that and control - no auto-box can see what's round the corner.

Manuals are more robust & survivable - if they lose oil, overheat, or lose a gear you can still drive them. Autos will die & that's it, if you puncture a hose & lose your fluid = no drive. That's one of the main reasons I stayed manual, that and control - no auto-box can see what's round the corner.

yea fair comment, hence the need to have cooler fitted properly as stated before

all things break if you try hard enough thou

winching with an auto is kinder to box and winch as you can match speed 100% thats so important, we ran manual popped shafts cvs etc with manual, nothing bust yet with auto as drive is taken up alot smoother etc ;)

My daily driver (p38 v8 4.6) and challenge truck (4.2 v8) are both auto and i wouldn't go back to manual :lol:

Left foot on the brake, right foot on the accelerator gives you more control and less to think about whilst offroading.

G

I have seen to many autos fail plus you can't bump start it if your bateries are flat or your starter is broken. Those reasons alone make me discard them every time. Also, downhills are pretty scary from what I gather. Besides I just like manual, together with 4.75 difs and a diesel engine, the control you have is fantastic

We run a Range Rover lse box which I here is a bit stronger than a normal RRC/Disco 1 V8 box. The important bit is you've got to have a good oil cooler and keep it cool !

Jon

The LSE box is the best of the Classic boxes with out doubt acording to a very well know race gearbox builder the first is lower as well which was news to me, I new the oil pump and oil ways were a better set system than the normal 3.9,4.0lt set up.

I prefure auto by a long way but its not without its failings with speed you have to hone you driving style and know what your doing and you can get it very wrong very easily and power slids and drifting takes a bit more skill I think with the auto also as in there no good in hot contires without the correct spec coolers or racing in desert conditions and if you like wading don't get water in it, but nothing is perfect.

I do brake on hills but that to drop engine revs not stop the car (I drive faster than most) you can select first, second or third on a hill and it does give control like a manual so that argument is for those who dont' know autos

for what your wanting to do, it will be fine..