Why do pepole flash their lights when you overtake them?

Mr Bean

Or perhaps people are praising me for driving a White Toyota Prius with a big "ACT ON C02" sticker on the bumper?

Reminds me of a story I read somewhere:

A guy in an old Dodge Challenger V8 pulls up at a traffic light next to a shiny white Prius with above sticker. He motions to the girl driving the Prius to open her window, so he can talk to her:

"all that fuel you're saving, you know where it's going?" She is obviously not impressed, when he answers "I'm enjoying it", floors the throttle and redlines the engine till the light turns green. :lol:

Reminds me of a story I read somewhere:

A guy in an old Dodge Challenger V8 pulls up at a traffic light next to a shiny white Prius with above sticker. He motions to the girl driving the Prius to open her window, so he can talk to her:

"all that fuel you're saving, you know where it's going?" She is obviously not impressed, when he answers "I'm enjoying it", floors the throttle and redlines the engine till the light turns green. :lol:

This is very true. Reasons for owning a V8:

1. Noise

2. *%$£ off eco-mentalists :D

As for middle lane hoggers I rightly or wrongly just undertake them, you know after seeing their behaviour, body/car language, that there's gonna be no danger in this manoeuvre as the observed vehicle has no intention of pulling over until they reach their exit which could be hundreds of miles away. Before anyone tells me this is illegal doesn't the highway code also state that the left hand lane should be used whenever possible?

I seem to recall that the offence both drivers are guilty of is the same - driving without due consideration for other road users? :unsure:

But there is still no rules in the highway code that say

"Flashing your lights mean ______________"

If you follow the link and look at the url you will see it includes the word 'Highwaycode'. I have assumed that what it says on this web page can also be found in the current paper edition of the Highway Code, which I don't own.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070289 This page covers Signals, 103 to 112.

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

I really don't know why you have taken a strong stance on this subject, but it's a bit disappointing that you haven't realised that in the main it's up to you to work out why the driver you have overtaken has just flashed the vehicle headlights.

Each case is likely to be different, we cannot be aware of each different set of circumstances.

You should also be able to work out that in SOME circumstances it may need a change in your driving behaviour to reduce the likelihood of other drivers flashing the vehicle lights after you have completed a manoeuvre.

HTH

Well I am going to do it....

Nobody has mentioned

TAXI DRIVERS :ph34r::o

down in london it's the done thing to just do a u turn to pick someone up on the other side of the road.i swear i'll run straight over one of these delightful cabbie's at some point.

oh yeh,just a warning.never go on the inside of a foreign artic on a roundabout.i can guarantee he'll be turning right and will squish you. :(

as far as HGV's flashing headlights once that particular vehicle has been overtaken safely on a dual carriageway or motorway, it's to let the overtaking vehicle know it's rear end is clear & it's OK to move back into the left lane. as has been mentioned numerous times above.

I seem to recall that the offence both drivers are guilty of is the same - driving without due consideration for other road users? :unsure:

I'm sure i heard that if you stay in the lane you were in and undertake, it is not an offence. If you deliberately change lanes to undertake then it is an offence. Cant remember who told me that, so it could be complete rubbish! Middle lane hoggers really get on my nerves though - doing 30K a year, you see a lot of them and i'm convinced that a lot of congestion on the motorways is caused by inconsiderate lane use.

i cant do that right and left indicator thing on my van as it has a auto 3 flash with one flick of the indicator stalk, bloody thing

Following a flash to help a truck overtake, I have seen people do a quick on/of with the hazards, instead of the left/right indicator.

As above really, I was taught the only reason to "flash" your lights to make other road users aware of your presence. Read into that what you will?

As an HGV driver, I let longer vehicles know when they have passed me.

I wonder what would happen if I flashed them in and they struck my wagon, I'm presuming it wouldn't be my fault :rolleyes: Food for thought??