Why do pepole flash their lights when you overtake them?

Mr Bean

Are you are talking about on motorways?

If so this is a courtesy use mainly by lorry drivers. It can be quite difficult to judge when the arse end of your trailer is past the vehicle you are overtaking, so the overtakee flashes the overtaker when it's safe to pull in.

Are you are talking about on motorways?

If so this is a courtesy use mainly by lorry drivers. It can be quite difficult to judge when the arse end of your trailer is past the vehicle you are overtaking, so the overtakee flashes the overtaker when it's safe to pull in.

^^^What he says and it's gone on for years amongst HGV's and people towing.

Ditto above - useful for longer vehicles.

Back home we didn't have motorways, only what you class here as A roads. If you were going to pull out to overtake, you might give a quick flash so the person in front knows you're about to come past.

i've not really seen this done here in the UK

G

Ditto above - useful for longer vehicles.

Back home we didn't have motorways, only what you class here as A roads. If you were going to pull out to overtake, you might give a quick flash so the person in front knows you're about to come past.

i've not really seen this done here in the UK

G

You'd probably find that people over here would think you are being aggressive doing that. In Germany, you'd find the people in the fast cars on the Autobahn (especially the 2 lane ones) will flash like hell behind you if you are blocking their way! (as they get right up your backside at 155mph+

I suggest you try driving with a trailer on the back ....It's a courtest flash to let you know you can pull in.

The same as the double flash with tail lighs when you pull in to say than you to the driver behind.....

Something I was taught in 1959........

You'd probably find that people over here would think you are being aggressive doing that. In Germany, you'd find the people in the fast cars on the Autobahn (especially the 2 lane ones) will flash like hell behind you if you are blocking their way! (as they get right up your backside at 155mph+

Towing trailers on these 2 lane autobahns is a right pain in the butt ! :ph34r: I got done for speeding on the autobahn with a trailer :lol:

It is my ultimate pet hate when on the road.

As said, when towing or driving longer vehicles it's a big help when moving back in.

My pet hate is when people don't indicate so you stop at junctions or roundabouts only to find they are turning in or taking the exit before you :angry: It's not SO difficult is it, or do they just like making eveyone else stop for no reason :unsure:

My pet hate is when people don't indicate so you stop at junctions or roundabouts only to find they are turning in or taking the exit before you :angry: It's not SO difficult is it, or do they just like making eveyone else stop for no reason :unsure:

Don't drive around Luton then...Indicators are very much an optional thing round here!! (Yes it's one of my pet hates!!)

Towing trailers on these 2 lane autobahns is a right pain in the butt !

I've always found it OK, with the 109 + mouse on the back you don't wait for the prats in BMW's to let you out, you just move out and let them navigate around you :lol:

I flash for two reasons - the first (mentioned above) is to say

"you can move into my lane now without inconveniencing me"

and the other is to say:

"DO YOU FLIPPING THINK I CAN STOP IT THREE YARDS YOU TWONK!"

:)

its even more annoying when i'm fully laden at 44 Ton when people indicate on a roundabout so you think there coming off before you,to then take the next turn.very exciting when they swerve round the cab flicking me the V's as if it's my fault.

to all the BMW drivers around the country.INDICATERS ARE NOT AN OPTIONAL EXTRA

But fog lights are, so as a note to the culprits out there...kindly turn the %$@% things off when it's not foggy, thank you :)

And who thought these daytime running lights were a good idea? Bloody annoying things <_<

I don't think DRLs are so bad, but these new style blueish headlights that seem to dazzle you from any angle are a real PITFA.

And to all the tw4ts out there who have no F idea that their cars have indicators, and also have no idea what fog is - go back to driving school and learn to f&%$£?@g drive, before I ram you up the F back end cos I can't tell what the F you are upto, or I'm blinded by your ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....breathe.... hmmmm....better now

As a van driver (yes it's White and yes I'm a builder, but it's not mIne it's a company vehicle) lorrys and other vans flash their lights to let you know your past them and are safe to pull in and there's no need to stay in the outside lane holding the rest of the world up, I appreciate this when I'm in the van as it can be a great help, transits like landys are not the fastest mode of transport, I also appreciate it when I'm in my car and someone in a van/lorry gets flashed in so they get out of my way! Lol. It's also courteous to then indicate right then left to thank the flasher for flashing you in.

I always learn something on this forum, often wandered if my wheels looked like they were falling off or something :unsure: , funny thing though, I´ve only experienced this on the swedish highways, never here in Denmark.

As a van driver (yes it's White and yes I'm a builder, but it's not mIne it's a company vehicle) lorrys and other vans flash their lights to let you know your past them and are safe to pull in and there's no need to stay in the outside lane holding the rest of the world up, I appreciate this when I'm in the van as it can be a great help, transits like landys are not the fastest mode of transport, I also appreciate it when I'm in my car and someone in a van/lorry gets flashed in so they get out of my way! Lol. It's also courteous to then indicate right then left to thank the flasher for flashing you in.

I drive a RR as my road car and do about 30k per year, I'm also a builder so travel before rush hour at 6 -7am and 4.30-5.30pm cars and vans traveling do travel fast at this time in the morning its particularly noticeable that its Vans and big executive cars primarily on the roads and yes I flash people in and out, but I also flash at people I feel are arrogantly hogging the outside or middle lane. Am I alone in thinking the most dangerous are those that don’t know the motorway cars speed limit is 70mph not 50 which forces HGV to take risks trying to pass these very dangerous drivers if you don’t want to keep up with the flow of car traffic than match the HGV’s don’t force 40t HGV’s to take risks with other road users lives trying to pass .

What does infuriate me is people that don’t acknowledge your obvious efforts to give way to them when you don’t have to I mean it’s old a simple wave or hazard flash.

Audi, merc and BMW drivers are a pain but also it’s a fair bet all they want if to overtake even if your doing 90+ so at least you know where you stand.. lack of indication is a pain I have a mate who drive a transit connect for work and a TVR as a toy and he ridicules my other mate that’s a BMW/ Audi nut about the comments are hilarious

Now all chant together "Arseh0les in Audis, Berks in Mercs, Vankers in Volvos and Dreamers in Beemers" You wanna try a 700mile round trip to Stroud from Northumberland in a 1982 Mini 1000 if you need to see bad driving...

May I digress ??

As some of you know in the 1980/ 90's I worked delivering new lease cars and bringing the old car back.

Travelling North up the A19 through N Yorks one night in the dark I had a car going South with high beam on. So I flashed my lights with no result.

Bugger I thought ands up with my headlights.

I was answered alright......

Blue lights erupted on the car going South....... :o

If you'd like to hear the story about the gold BMW drophead South of Cape Town that HAD indicators. Please ask.

But fog lights are, so as a note to the culprits out there...kindly turn the %$@% things off when it's not foggy, thank you :)

And who thought these daytime running lights were a good idea? Bloody annoying things <_<

One great thing about Australia cars not having fog lights is means that idiots don't have them one when they should not be . Was my pet hate about driving around uk roads

To show you an example , on the left Aussie sold 110 on the right uk imported 110

cff95de3.jpg