R380 gearbox into a series 3

smokeyone

Yes, I know it's been bounced around on the forum before but after reading up on the details

I have confused myself about the gearbox mountings. Let's say I stick with the series transfer case

and use an Ashcroft adapter kit to connect to the R380 gearbox. Leave the transfer case in the same place

and move everything else forward - the transfer case has it's own mountings so do I still need

gearbox mountings as well or are these instead of the transfer case mountings - which bit am I missing....

...or is it engine mountings, gearbox mountings and transfer case mountings.....

Thanks very much

Yes, I know it's been bounced around on the forum before but after reading up on the details

I have confused myself about the gearbox mountings. Let's say I stick with the series transfer case

and use an Ashcroft adapter kit to connect to the R380 gearbox. Leave the transfer case in the same place

and move everything else forward - the transfer case has it's own mountings so do I still need

gearbox mountings as well or are these instead of the transfer case mountings - which bit am I missing....

...or is it engine mountings, gearbox mountings and transfer case mountings.....

Thanks very much

Would it not be easier to fit the r380 and lt230? Use a defender 300tdi/td5 gearbox tunnel ??

Would it not be easier to fit the r380 and lt230? Use a defender 300tdi/td5 gearbox tunnel ??

Probably would be easier but I would like to keep the series transfer box and in any event I do

not have a lt230 transfer case. Also I will not have to worry about 2 wheel 4 wheel drive or

cv joints on the front prop...

Just to play Devil's Avocado...

1 - You don't need CV's in the front axle (or prop, wherever that idea came from!) to run a full-time LT230, plenty on here doing it.

2 - You can convert the LT230 to 2WD if you want (I did, there's a writeup in the tech archive).

3 - You will spend far more on the conversion kit than just buying a good used LT230, and you're then running a much older weaker box with a poorer selection of gear ratios.

Just to play Devil's Avocado...

1 - You don't need CV's in the front axle (or prop, wherever that idea came from!) to run a full-time LT230, plenty on here doing it.

2 - You can convert the LT230 to 2WD if you want (I did, there's a writeup in the tech archive).

3 - You will spend far more on the conversion kit than just buying a good used LT230, and you're then running a much older weaker box with a poorer selection of gear ratios.

I realise the pitfalls but would still like to stick with the series transfer case. Thank you for the pointing out the problems.

Still need to find out about the gearbox and or transfer box mounts......

Ok then, if you move everything forward you will need relocated engine mounts, no need for gearbox mounts as its supported by the TC.

But having said that, i had an lt77 mated to a series TC, i had used one mount on the main box and one mount on the tc, just like when fitted to a 90/110. I also moved the gearbox mounts and not the engine mounts if it helps.

Fridge summed it up for you, just keep it simple...............

G

Ok then, if you move everything forward you will need relocated engine mounts, no need for gearbox mounts as its supported by the TC.

But having said that, i had an lt77 mated to a series TC, i had used one mount on the main box and one mount on the tc, just like when fitted to a 90/110. I also moved the gearbox mounts and not the engine mounts if it helps.

Fridge summed it up for you, just keep it simple...............

G

Brilliant, just what I wanted to check on - all the searches mention gearbox mounts so I was thinking

transfer case mounts plus gearbox mounts and engine mounts - could not be correct. Right then, keeping

it simple ish - transfer case mounts leave as is - hang the r380 between the transfer case and engine

and just make new engine mounts...I know there are 99 other things to fiddle with as well.

How did yours turn out with one mount on the gearbox and one on the transfer case....

Cheers

Brilliant, just what I wanted to check on - all the searches mention gearbox mounts so I was thinking

transfer case mounts plus gearbox mounts and engine mounts - could not be correct. Right then, keeping

it simple ish - transfer case mounts leave as is - hang the r380 between the transfer case and engine

and just make new engine mounts...I know there are 99 other things to fiddle with as well.

How did yours turn out with one mount on the gearbox and one on the transfer case....

Cheers

Just fine, its the same as a normal 90/110 installation. When bolted together they make up one unit, and they line up perfectly.

This is what mine looked like (home made conversion)

G

post-116-0-29498000-1306328067_thumb.jpg

so, i know poeple say you cant use a disco box cos its too long. could you put the series bellhousing on to remedy this?

No 'cos the input shaft is still a foot long, and the gear levers still come up a foot further back than a Defender box.

• 10 years later...

Hola a todos!

Soy Santiago Graziano de Argentina y tengo un Serie IIA 109" Militar. Por motivos de documentación tengo que cambiar el motor 2.25 lts. original. Tengo pensado instalar un 200 td (sin intercooler) de una vieja Disco. El tema es; lo pongo sin el turbo y le dejo la caja de cambios original, o le dejo el turbo y le coloco una R380 con el transfer de serie ???

mis cajas son las originales y estan en muy buen estado, pero tengo miedo que el elevado torque del 200td rompa la transmisión!

Atrás tengonun eje HD que se aguanta todo.

Ustedes qur me dicen ???

esa caja R380 con transfer de serie que está en la foto. Está en venta ???

Muchas gracias!

Saludos desde Argentina !!!

Translated with Google translate. 

Hello everyone!

I am Santiago Graziano from Argentina and I have a Military Series IIA 109". For documentation reasons I have to change the original 2.25 liter engine. I plan to install a 200 td (without intercooler) from an old Disco. The issue is; I put it without the turbo and leave the original gearbox, or leave the turbo and put an R380 with the stock transfer???

my boxes are the original ones and they are in very good condition, but I am afraid that the high torque of the 200td will break the transmission!

I have an HD axle on the back that can handle anything.

What do you tell me???

that R380 box with serial transfer that is in the photo. On sale ???

Thank you very much!

Greetings from Argentina !!!

• Like 1

As long as you are not usually brutal with the clutch, a Series transmission copes fine behind a Tdi.  Changing the oil every 15-20,000 km will help, and frequent level checks are important unless you know it is not leaking (especially into the transfer box, as is common).

A stumpy R380 and LT230 is not necessary and is a lot of work, but the results would be better and you would have more confidence in driving hard.  You would need 3.54 diffs to go with it.

I have a 200 td with a series gearbox and it’s seems to be happy enough.

I do drive like a grandma though.

I also enjoy the series gearbox - it seems part of the experience. 

Google translate:

Tengo un 200 td con caja de cambios de serie y parece bastante feliz. Sin embargo, conduzco como una abuela. También disfruto de la caja de cambios de serie, parece parte de la experiencia.

• Like 1