A Frame Ball Joint

While we are on the subject, can someone explain to me what exactly the A-Frame ball joint does and what it is I'm looking at in the top picture.

Is it hard to change the ball joint or the housing and joint together and do you need any special tools?

Many thanks

John

The ball joint holds the rear axle in two planes: it stops it rotating in the directions the wheels turn - and also stops it moving side to side.

The large housing in the top picture mounts to the chassis with two arms - forming an 'A' shape (thus the A Frame ball joint name) - the hole you see is where the actual ball joint mounts which bolts to the axle.

The ball joints are notoriously difficult to remove from the housing without a serious press - thus the attraction of the Gwyn Lewis option.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks chaps, good stuff as always. I think I'll have a look at mine at the weekend, now I know what I'm looking for.

Cheers

Can be the cause of bangs as you pull away if its on its way out. Take a bar to it and see it there is any play there.

I put a constant 15 tonnes on my ball joint when changing it, it wouldn't budge. So it tapped the housing with a hammer while in the press, and all hell broke loose.... came out tho, but be careful, it also nearly lodged in my head...

It just cost me £70 to drop off the old bracket/balljoint at Shardlow LR and have them supply and fit a new balljoint in.

Sounds like money well spent and they did it the same day so its all painted up ready to be refitted next week.

It was a pig to get the old taper joint out of the diff casing.

I ended upside down with a crowbar being levered with my feet while I hammered the taper housing to spring it out. I was just about ready to give up - having had the crowbar try to spear me half a dozen times - when it just popped.