Dynabeads or Magnum Microbeads

Baz2236

Hi has anyone used either of the above in there tyres I have 285 x 75 Special tracks and struggle to get them balanced and when there are the weigh usually fall off so I was looking at the beads. has anyone had good / bad experience of either on Mud tyres.

Thanks in Advance.

Baz

I had dynabeads in 265/75/16 BFG KM2 MTs from new, had them took out and balanced the old fashioned way after a couple of months. Normal roads up to 50mph were fine but motorway speeds they were terrible.

One thing when they came out was the weights that went on were more than a bags worth of beads so I don't know if more beads would have solved it.

I had dynabeads for my Mudzillas which was probably wishful thinking when 1/2 kilo of lead on each wheel failed, they made it better but the main problem was that the tyres were square so probably not a fair test.

As a matter of interest, do you recall how much weight you put in each tyre, and what size the tyres are?

Thanks

I looked at one of the "proper" balancing bead websites to find what they recommended for the tyre size and then added IIRC 50g more. I went on the theory that too many is better than too few as there is plenty of room in the tyre for them all! It may have been as much as 100g more but I can't be sure.

I have used the Magnum ballencing beads from D4x4 on 3 sets of tyres now and they have worked great in all of them, 265x75 Special Tracs (that I sold to bish and the beads were in them when bish had them off me :ph34r: ) 285 x 75 Tpecial Tracs and I could cruise at 70 without any probs and now in a set of 35x10.5 Simex and still no probs. I would never go back to wheel weights. Also usefull when you have lumps of mud on your wheels as they are still in balence.

Brookers

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&download=60:magnum-tyre-bead-quick-reference-chart&id=16:instructions-how-to&Itemid=36

or

http://www.dynabeads.co.uk/auto4x4.php

If you need to convert your metric to imperial size....which is (285 * 1.5) / 25.4 + 16 = 32.8"

Assuming you are on about the 285/75/16 tyres.

I have beads (don't know which type) in my 255x85-16 tyres on my 110. To be honest, I'm not impressed with them. They are fine most of the time but sometimes go out of balance at 50mph. If you jab the brakes, it re-distributes the balls and is OK again. I'm planning on getting them removed though!

Si

Do you know how much weight you put in you 285 special tracks

It seems to recommend the 200g bag bit I might go for the 250g

As having more is surely better then having less.

Not sure, think I went one bag size bigger than recomended as Special Tracs can be a real PINA to ballance.

Brookers

I used the devon ones in my mudzillas. They work, but only on very smooth roads. on less smooth roads, they get upset and dont really work, giving you the shudder as before. Of course in my simexes, I run tubes, so you cant use them. But they are pretty well balanced without anything.

Daan

I got Magnum beads from D4x4 after several unsuccessful attempts at balancing 285/75's on Paddock's 16x8 modulars with weights. Had the same tyres on LR alloys and they were easily balanced so put it down to the poor quality wheels. Anyway, what a difference, occasional very minor imbalance after starting from standstill and going through the 80-90kph range but soon balances itself out and remains so until you stop, other than that they are great.

I used the amount recommended for my tyre size as per D4x4 and that was fine, and the imbalance previously was of rip your arms out proportions, it was frightening.

I originally left the weights thinking this would help but found it better after removing all the weights.