Bizarre question? 4WD van conversion.

redneck

Obviously I have a soft spot (in the head probably) for land rovers, but I could do with a van, about Transit size.

My question is, has anyone stuck a van body on a land rover chasis/ running gear. Before you go telling to buy a Delica or Bongo :lol: I'm not interested.

A 110 is just a bit too small inside and a 130 just seems too big for its internal size.

I've been looking a RB44's but I really want something with the cab and body in one piece.

Possibly along the lines of sticking an LDV :o body on LR chasis for example, this a budget project BTW.

I can see all sorts of issues with transmission tunnels encroaching on your load area, and with changing the steering and pedals from normal to forward control.

Have you thought a bout a 101 ambulance or a GS with a luton body on? Obviously with a diesel conversion too... that would be the route I would go down...

or, as has been suggested a 4x4 transit...

Mark

or, as has been suggested a 4x4 transit

erm, after having experienced the "fun" of having to source parts for a 4x4 transit, it would be much less hassle to put a tranny body on a lr chassis......none of the transit county 4x4 running gear is available from Ford, only from County themselves, at a seriously extortionate price, as Ford never made them. They passed transits to county, who added the space frame etc.

A sprinter 4x4 would be miles better.

besides, if a freelander can be mounted on a disco chassis, why can't a transit shell be mounted on a 110 chassis?

erm, after having experienced the "fun" of having to source parts for a 4x4 transit, it would be much less hassle to put a tranny body on a lr chassis......none of the transit county 4x4 running gear is available from Ford, only from County themselves, at a seriously extortionate price, as Ford never made them. They passed transits to county, who added the space frame etc.

A sprinter 4x4 would be miles better.

besides, if a freelander can be mounted on a disco chassis, why can't a transit shell be mounted on a 110 chassis?

the price of a 4x4 sprinter is ridiculous!!! :unsure: cheapest one on ebay is £7500, a 4x4 tranny is £1400 :ph34r: and merc parts wont be cheap :( and inveco daily 4x4 £5500 so unless you could source your parts very cheap and you can get it to work then its all good, what what about vosa??

Edited by landy-novice

the price of a 4x4 sprinter is ridiculous!!! :unsure: cheapest one on ebay is £7500, a 4x4 tranny is £1400 :ph34r: and merc parts wont be cheap :( and inveco daily 4x4 £5500 so unless you could source your parts very cheap and you can get it to work then its all good, what what about vosa??

Actually as someone with a Sprinter, although admittedly not a 4x4 one, I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by the price of Merc parts - even from the main dealer!

Actually as someone with a Sprinter, although admittedly not a 4x4 one, I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by the price of Merc parts - even from the main dealer!

Agreed, car parts too (except S-class and other exotics....), when I worked in a motor factors we would often be beaten on price by the Merc main dealer for general service parts.....

As for converting a 110/Disco chassis to a large van back..... you could always do what Hammond did for his motor home. :)

You know the answer already, it has to be a Uaz 452 :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Kraz 255 is my ultimate aim, until then though.

To those who suggested a 4wd transit, I did look at them but they're rare as rocking horse **** with the spares even more difficult to find.

I suppose a more modern 101 would have been ideal.

Dude, sometimes you just have to get the right tool for the job - get a transit or sprinter. We absolve you, recite 10 verses of haynes chapter 1 and give parts to the poor.

:rofl: Giving parts to the poor ... quality :) Can they be Br!tpart? or do they have to be real?