Bizarre question? 4WD van conversion.

redneck

Link corrected - no charge.

Just a ldv 4wd with a standard roof minibus body with the rear part modded.

Having owned sherpa and ldv I would go that route, they used landrover engine at one point, and it would not be that difficult to stick axle under front etc , you could use a hi top if you wanted serious volume. They can be bought for reasonable money . 300 tdi auto disco could provide powertrain . plenty of room at front end for rad/intercooler etc. JAT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDV-PILOT-6-SEAT-CREW-BUS-BAND-BUS-SURF-VAN-CAMPER-/110707599491?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item19c6afe883

Very nice :D

how about a van bodied version of this?

buggy001.jpg

rascal on an SJ chassis :)

Eerrrrrr No thanks :)

Just a ldv 4wd with a standard roof minibus body with the rear part modded.

Having owned sherpa and ldv I would go that route, they used landrover engine at one point, and it would not be that difficult to stick axle under front etc , you could use a hi top if you wanted serious volume. They can be bought for reasonable money . 300 tdi auto disco could provide powertrain . plenty of room at front end for rad/intercooler etc. JAT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDV-PILOT-6-SEAT-CREW-BUS-BAND-BUS-SURF-VAN-CAMPER-/110707599491?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item19c6afe883

That's what I was thinking, but I don't know anything about LDV's, are they separate chasis, would the wheel base match up within reason any of the LR chasis?

They are semi monocoque construction, you use the van body/chassis unit and put the landrover drive train parts, not the landrover chassis . They were marketed as Freight-Rover for a while, and made use of some rover parts as landrover did eg mirrors door handles etc , before being sold off as a seperate make.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=847

On a minimal budget I'd buy a rusty RR and a dead Transit or similar (whatever has the closest wheelbase match) and see how far you can get with the grinder.

Alternatively buy something ready made, it's much easier in the long run. I'll add "Volvo C303" to the list above as a very groovy 4x4/6x6 box on wheels.

I think the ready made route is going to be the cheapest by far even by those prices. Sticking a van body on top of a 110 chasssis is a huge undertaking.

Regarding the LDV route, well there is the 200/pilot size and then there is the 300/400/convoy size the latter are pretty wide I don't think LR axles would be wide enough. The narrower 200/pilot size would be just about right for LR axles I reckon. They've got leaf springs front and rear so would be relatively easy to attach a set of axles, you could do Spring over axle to give yourself some clearance, as already said they use to use the original LR diesel so Tdi should fit in nicely, they used the LT77 box as well so that should be relatively easy to swap to a LR version, the drivetrain in the LDV is not offset either. The later Peugeot/R380 powered Pilot models had a more upto date dash/interior, the Post office are still using them.

I think the ready made route is going to be the cheapest by far even by those prices. Sticking a van body on top of a 110 chasssis is a huge undertaking.

Regarding the LDV route, well there is the 200/pilot size and then there is the 300/400/convoy size the latter are pretty wide I don't think LR axles would be wide enough. The narrower 200/pilot size would be just about right for LR axles I reckon. They've got leaf springs front and rear so would be relatively easy to attach a set of axles, you could do Spring over axle to give yourself some clearance, as already said they use to use the original LR diesel so Tdi should fit in nicely, they used the LT77 box as well so that should be relatively easy to swap to a LR version, the drivetrain in the LDV is not offset either. The later Peugeot/R380 powered Pilot models had a more upto date dash/interior, the Post office are still using them.

Time to get the tape measure out :D

Question is do you really have time to spend grafting this onto that and all that it entails?

Although my earlier suggestion wasn't even acknowledged I was actually serious about a 127 ambulance - cue photo of my old one:

127.jpg

Even with the stretcher seat boxes still in they have a shed load of room in the back, with those removed it's just a big empty box - cue photos of stretcher box removal:

127a.jpg

Happyoldgit, the ambulance isn't a bad idea, however I'm really after something where the cab and body are joined, so that I can walk through. The reason being that I want a multi purpose vehicle, that I can camp in, carry my toys (bikes, kite surf gear etc etc) and transport family and dog (12stone Newfoundland), maybe not all at the same time.

I could do with 3 seats up front or 2 in front +1 behind, room to lie down folding bed or such like, but not fitted out as camper with a sink and all the junk that goes with them.

Not forgetting the 4wd bit to do a bit of greenlaning etc which would make a smaller body like the LDV ideal.

A 4wd Tardis might just do the trick :rolleyes:

Happyoldgit, the ambulance isn't a bad idea, however I'm really after something where the cab and body are joined, so that I can walk through. The reason being that I want a multi purpose vehicle, that I can camp in, carry my toys (bikes, kite surf gear etc etc) and transport family and dog (12stone Newfoundland), maybe not all at the same time.

I could do with 3 seats up front or 2 in front +1 behind, room to lie down folding bed or such like, but not fitted out as camper with a sink and all the junk that goes with them.

Not forgetting the 4wd bit to do a bit of greenlaning etc which would make a smaller body like the LDV ideal.

A 4wd Tardis might just do the trick :rolleyes:

When I first started looking for a Landie, I had a similar idea in mind, but in the end rejected it as an ambulance body was just a bit too bulky for 'everyday' use as well as off-road, but that's just MYHO. In the end I ended up with a (project) 110 utility, (which should fit with most 'everyday' requirements, especially accommodating family and pooch) and a sankey for bulky stuff. For kipping in I've accepted that the simplest thing to do is use a tent, but with some luxuries in the truck, i.e. split charged fridge, 12v kettle, etc.

But I digress...Withams currently have this for sale:

(linky).

Looking at the pictures, it is possible to access the load area from inside the cab. Bit pricey though, and would probably need LPG/Tdi'ing to make it usable daily. Then again, the 127 Marshalls aren't exactly pocket money these days either, if you can find a tidy one...

Matt

That's not a Vampire, it's a slightly modded radio bodied 101. Withams have a Vampire in their next auction that's come from Fort Halsted, guide price is £10,000 :blink: The MOD reserve is only £1750 apparently but I reckon it will fetch Witham's price. A 101 won't be walk through, more of a clamber through over the engine cover.

Those Volvo C304s are nice.

A 101 won't be walk through, more of a clamber through over the engine cover.

Still nice to be able to arrive at wherever you're kipping for the night and not have to pitch a tent in the rain, just clamber over a hot engine cover into the back and get a brew on...or am I just going soft in my old age?? :rolleyes:

A 101 radio would be 'my' ideal camper conversion, and I've seen a couple of nice conversions, but sourcing one for below £5k (say) looks nigh-on impossible...and the Withams' Vampire price is eye-watering!

That said they appear to have some snatches for £1.5k...but they look like they've been uhhm, well used!