Camel Trophy extorsion...

My dream truck would be a Camel 110, its one of those annoying things you can't explain!

So I keep my eye out for whats around at the moment. WHAT IS HAPPENING to the price of them just now, Nene have got 2 of them one is for 20k the other is 30k!!! one on fleebay for 16k and another one on the camel website for 16k too...

This time last summer there was a chap selling one Durham way for 12k and it was as good as the others. I've just about saved up enough to have got the one last year and again the ownership of one seem to be slipping out my grasp again!!! At this rate I'll be able to afford a full size cardboard cutout... or I suppose I could have my 90 wrapped in a camel trophy "print"...

Now this is the depressing part where people tell me about all the cheap Camel trophy's they've seen...

Mav

On genuine Camels the roof rack is mounted to a full internal/external roll cage pretty unique to Camels, thats probably the easiest way to see from a glance. Wheres the winch and bumper gone? where's the genuine wheels? There is so much kit on a Camel that is unique to them. Painting a 110" or Disco in sandglow yellow doesn't make it a Camel!

oh and the advert says at the bottom - replica!!

Steve

On genuine Camels the roof rack is mounted to a full internal/external roll cage pretty unique to Camels, thats probably the easiest way to see from a glance. Wheres the winch and bumper gone? where's the genuine wheels? There is so much kit on a Camel that is unique to them. Painting a 110" or Disco in sandglow yellow doesn't make it a Camel!

oh and the advert says at the bottom - replica!!

Steve

oh! cheers for that. i didn't even read the specs :blink: i take it the same goes for g4?

It says replica in the description....

Edit: too late as always.... :blink:

:hysterical:

They are only worth what the market will bear - ie what people will pay. If the choice is between an ex Camel Trophy vehicle priced stupidly high or a new Puma XS I know what my choice is - there again I don't want a vehicle which screams 'let's off road' to the world.

Best bet is join/talk to the CTOC, they're like the mafia (but in a good way) and know almost everyone who owns one, what's out there, how much, etc.

When dealers / eBay have Camels (which are not always genuine either) they charge silly money. I'd avoid them on principle TBH.

Best bet is join/talk to the CTOC, they're like the mafia (but in a good way) and know almost everyone who owns one, what's out there, how much, etc.

When dealers / eBay have Camels (which are not always genuine either) they charge silly money. I'd avoid them on principle TBH.

Will I wake up with a Camels head next to me in bed if I bad mouth them? :blink::P

They are only worth what the market will bear - ie what people will pay. If the choice is between an ex Camel Trophy vehicle priced stupidly high or a new Puma XS I know what my choice is - there again I don't want a vehicle which screams 'let's off road' to the world.

I actually agree whole heartedly with this comment, unfortunatly my present 90 seems to scream "let's off road" which I'm not entirly happy about, but put up with for the time being.

Strangly if I did have 20k to burn I wouldn't infact invest it in a camel, I would buy one of these My link haha - which alternativly screams "pimp".

I just think its a bit of a shame that it seams more camel's are being "restored" into museum pieces as opposed to bashing theough Africa and beyond. I'll perhaps buy a poster and stick it too the back of the garage door i don't have yet... :rolleyes:

Strangly if I did have 20k to burn I wouldn't infact invest it in a camel, I would buy one of these My link haha - which alternativly screams "pimp".

we were disusing camel trophy defenders costing 16k, then you come long with a 60k pimped machine? 'yobbo' :P next you will want a fast land rover like this!

or being a 'yob', like this link?? haha :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

we were disusing camel trophy defenders costing 16k, then you come long with a 60k pimped machine? 'yobbo' :P next you will want a fast land rover like this!

or being a 'yob', like this link?? haha :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I don't generally do things in halves :P pimp mobile is not "intended" to go offroad - so nice show vehicle... camel trophy not "intended" to go onroad happiest in a jungle somewhere :i-m_so_happy:

p.s. I started the topic so I can divert it too :rolleyes:

Aside from the history/novelty factor, I really can't see much reason to own a Camel - they're just a more expensive and heavy Defender.

Also true, there is the exclusivity of being 1 of a not so many people I guess, my problem is like anyone who's taken a land rover apart I know whats its worth in bits, and I don't agree with whats its worth together.

Hmm I'm good at talking myself out of things aren't I. Maybe they are a piece of history now and belong is museums and private collections.

Also true, there is the exclusivity of being 1 of a not so many people I guess, my problem is like anyone who's taken a land rover apart I know whats its worth in bits, and I don't agree with whats its worth together.

Hmm I'm good at talking myself out of things aren't I. Maybe they are a piece of history now and belong is museums and private collections.

Get yourself a Bowler for off road ;)

Talking yourself out of things is more useful than talking yourself into them.

Since you seem to be in a state of indecision, perhaps the best thing is to step back and look at what you really want to do - what must the vehicle do / not do, what stuff are you intending to use it for, what matters or not to you? Your 90 seems to be pretty well sorted, or at least well along the road of having TLC spent on it, so why abandon that? (And I don't mean "don't abandon it", I mean "what would be the arguments for abandoning it, and what would you replace it with?")

what are you looking for in the camel world

might be persuaded to let mine go wouldnt want 16k for it sensbile offer

choice of 98 japanese freelander right hand drive or 98 british 110 but with 4.6 v8 in it would take an offer without engine

cheers paul

'Nine out of ten men who tried Camels prefered women.'

...mate's tobacco advertising t-shirt (under school shirt) on fairly clear display as headmaster shows prospective parents around :D

I can see some attraction to genuine camel vehs, none to a look-alike for the sake of it and still less to pay a shed load of cash in excess of what it is worth for it's material state... but each to their own - Good luck in the hunt!

Talking yourself out of things is more useful than talking yourself into them.

Since you seem to be in a state of indecision, perhaps the best thing is to step back and look at what you really want to do - what must the vehicle do / not do, what stuff are you intending to use it for, what matters or not to you? Your 90 seems to be pretty well sorted, or at least well along the road of having TLC spent on it, so why abandon that? (And I don't mean "don't abandon it", I mean "what would be the arguments for abandoning it, and what would you replace it with?")

I'd say 90% of the time I'm in a state of indecision mainly induced by shear boardom at work!

Th rather large assuption there is that I'd be abandoning the 90, I won't be getting rid of that I've tried but just couldn't the thing is inexplicably attached to me. I lost enough blood sweat and tears on that truck to rival any child birth!!!

The problem is the boardom, I like to plan new idea's then stupid friends try and pursuade me to spend my well saved money on other random rubbish. I ended up in Dubai last time I got board, that was a bit of a pain.

Back on topic - I like the idea functionality of a Camel, life sustaining capacity, go everywhere adaptability, the rought plan is to turn the 90 into something resembling a camel just not the sand glow colour, I'm not a fan of Replica's... :banned: but I have this constant nag that the 90's not got the space for what my "vision" is of it - I've got heaps of photos of expadition type 90's and ones pulling trailors etc so I know its possible... but its the old "everyone else uses a 110"... yeah I know I don't have too, but there's probably quite a healthy reason why they do...

Unfortunatly non of my friends around here are into 4x4's, I just need a good slap :moglite: from time to time from my good forum buddies, that actually what I'm doing is not a bad thing and could work. - cheers fridge.

what are you looking for in the camel world

might be persuaded to let mine go wouldnt want 16k for it sensbile offer

choice of 98 japanese freelander right hand drive or 98 british 110 but with 4.6 v8 in it would take an offer without engine

cheers paul

Hey Paul, I was down Yeovil at the fleet air arm meuseum early in the summer, really good place to visit.

A 110 could fit the bill, is it a CSW or truck? and why would you sell it without an engine? is it on roadworthy? :)

Mav