Hat's off to Ashcrofts

Boothy

Twice in 7 days whilst re-building my rear axle including the ARB have I needed bits and pieces for the ARB, seals,clips etc.

Twice in 7 days I've phoned a lovely young lady at Ashcrofts, and both times my goods arrived next day and for just £2.50' ish postage.

A public "Thank You" for a superb service again.

Chris

I had a gearbox that went poof after 1 year and a month after fitment changing down from 4th 3rd and it selected 3rd gear and wouldn't disengage.

I drove home from St Albans in 3rd gear high low. When I phoned to see what they could do if anything I didn't get what I would call a friendly reply and Dave was on holiday Italy I think according to the person ion the phone. This was a few years ago now though and it sounded like a assembly person opposed to the usual helpful receptionists. I brought a s/h box and fitted that and viwed never to use ashcroft again. Since then I have had other stuff from them as has my brother he has had loads and all been brilliant latest being a Kaiser locker. I think I must have got somone in a bad mood or an assembly person answering the phone not in the greatest of moods. Add to this this was years ago I have since talked over another forum and have been assured by ashcroft that their process is to take it in and charge for any labour parts req. I never remember being offered this however I am more than happy with them and will shortly be buying their froint shafts and possibly a crownwheel/pinion for the 80 inch trialer. They have always been good and we all have bad days.

I had a box from them a couple of years ago, lasted a few months due to a dodgy batch of synchro cones I think.

Still they changed it for me, including the installation, and lent me their then new auto Defender for the day.

Box has been fine since (apart from the twerp at their garage who over-tightened one of the gearstick housing bolts and stripped the thread!)

I find they blow hot and cold, and it really depends who you talk to.

I bought a recon autobox for my disco and had it fitted by their approved fitters. I went down this route after discussing what I used the truck for as was assured it would be fine. The box failed in the same way as the original after 6 months or so, but they were no help whatsoever, and were not interested in the issue.

We have had similar issues trying to get stuff fixed with their HD CV's and shafts for our Challenge truck. They will honour the warranty, but only just, and after some discussion.

I have had very useful and productive discussions with Dave, but I feel they are now too big and spread too thin to offer the level of quality oe service for which they have become known.

I do not want to cause any offence or issues, but threads like this are basically free advertising, and sometimes need some balance. They have a reputation, but in my personal experience they have not lived up to it.

I shall not be using them.

Thanks

Mark

I got quite nervous about any re-con boxes reading the various stories on here and elsewhere. Marcos thread here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=46382

illustrates a problem that i have with my original (non-recon) transfer box, yet Marcos was a recon unit. I wasnt willing to take the chance that a £400 recon would be ok, so i picked up a low mileage td5 unit secondhand for £100 - less money down the drain if it turns out bad and will probably last longer than a recon unit.

The thing that put me off of Ashcrofts recently was that when enquiring about a re-con transfer box, i told them that i didnt need the input gear, bearings or PTO cover and rear bearing race as i have an overdrive that sits in their place. I also have a new input gear that i bought from them previously. I was offered a £20 discount even though the parts together will retail at £45 for the input gear alone plus the bearings and races.

I recently fitted their air lockers, f+r on my 90. I'd purchased them built up into the diff housing. Sadly the rear locker leaked air, and had to be sent back. It was a pain to have to pull out and re-fit another one, but I must say they were extremely good at getting the unit picked up and returned as soon as possible.

Well I am about to aquire a pair of their HD crown wheels and pinions and they will be on test in an ALRC Legal trialer next year. I thought I had a bad experience with the gearbox but others may have also had similar experiences. I'm sure Ashcroft try to keep everyone happy as best they can and I do understand that afterall it is a business and they need to make money. Customer service has been excellent since my problem years ago. Hell it may have been down to dodgy syncro cones and at the time for a while I was quite bitter about losing a recon box. We as a family have brought possibly 5 gearboxes transfer boxes and many diff parts inc lockers etc since my failure. I hope they do keep on top of their customer service stuff but they have been good to me and my family since my failure. Their stuff has a proven record in the comp world.

I will continue to use them but I am fair and they have one strike. Bad day, wrong person to talk to on the phone whatever I was out of pocket and a student at the time. Now they will have to live up to their reputation and warranty on each and every occasion to keep me as a customer.

So for now I am looking forward to getting uprated with their shafts crown wheel and pinions and stuff and I promise I will test them well in my ARC trialer next year so for now I am happy and will continue to be so long as they treat me as I would expect to be treated as a returning valued customer.

Jai

• 2 months later...

I think you will always get odd gripes about companies, particularly when they are high profile or successful - no matter how hard you try, you cannot make everybody happy! Particularly with mechanical components, there are so many variables including the vehicle it's going in to and how it's been fitted that it's impossible to cover all of them.

My personal experience of Ashcroft has been great. The advice from Ian & Dave has been spot-on!

Si

Lol!

I'm happy I just picked up a pair of brand new Kam front shafts for £100 pitty they are the 24- 32 spline tho. Was really hoping I could stretch to ashcroft ones for better strength and to go with their front CWP setup. But hey ho. Plan 2 find some Early Rangy/disco axles and keep plenty of small stub shafts!!

• 1 month later...

jai_landrover and fellow members Happy New Year,

has your brother fitted the KAISER locker to his car?

If yes it would extremely interesting to have some feedback from him.

As for the Ashcroft company I have been dealing with them since 1996 and have NEVER had a problem with either their pre-sale or after sale support. On a couple of occasions there was a problem with a tbox and an autobox but both units were replaced under guarantee and without any problem at all. And Dave is ALWAYS very helpful and provides all the assistance he can give. A big thumbs up from my side also for Dave and his company.

Take care and Happy New Year everybody.

Pantelis Giamarellos

www.lrcg.gr

LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Hi Pantg Yes he has. its been fitted a few months now. It works well but is a bit noisey and you sometimes get a bang when cornering on the road. My salisbury Detroit seems far smoother in operation with the occasional clonk from the rear but the Kaiser is more frequent. I believe he has talked to Dave (we live 5 miutes away) and I think the outcome was to run it. He changed the oil and it was fine no bits of nasty broken parts and clean. It hasn't been used in anger and probably never will. My bro gets ribbed for being the Tarmac King!! Tesco Carparks are getting harder to get into these days! is his usual response.

Erm I want one for the front on my 90. Reading up people have fitted without problems but I have doubts. I have aquired a 10 spline lockright myself for the front so may use that with Free Wheeling Hubs but its not strong at all as you have to weaken the diff centre to install it and its only 10 spline.

All the best

Jai