200tdi gutless at mid to high revs

Exmoor Beast

I'm detecting a slight decrease in mid to high rev power in my 110.

I've had it years as most of you know so I'm fairly atuned to its working and its not much but it feels a bit underpowered once on the move.

Low down torque still seems superb, 2nd gear on a 1in4 hill will pull virtually from tickover. MPG is brilliant still, nearly 35mpg to sussex and back last month.

Servicing is all up to date all filters are less than 500miles old and I ran injector cleaner through it pre MOT a few weeks ago. Any suggestions?

Will :)

i would say that with fuel consumption like that, it is struggling to deliver the full amount of fuel at higher revs, and so feels a bit flat.

are you sure you are getting full movement on the throttle cable?

Diesels do not get hot with a lean fuel / air mixture... they get cold.

But on my 200tdi I had a similar thing and it turned out to be the lift pump had expired... but then again I had another similar experience and that turned out to be gloopy veg oil blocking my fuel filter :)

Diesels do not get hot with a lean fuel / air mixture... they get cold.

But on my 200tdi I had a similar thing and it turned out to be the lift pump had expired... but then again I had another similar experience and that turned out to be gloopy veg oil blocking my fuel filter :)

when the pumps break down internally like mine has the fueling is all over the place which can make it run hot mine is doing it now

35 mpg - as in thirty five???

How do you manage that? I've never done better than 27... :unsure:

Anyway, that's not helping. As above, I'd start with the fuel filter(s) and turbo hoses, then look at the lift pump...

Cheers,

mine does 35, turn up your fuel and turbo a smidgen...

yes add more fuel and it saves fuel cos you got a bit more poke and your not as foot down. that is unless you like to use all the power in the engine.

i would also say lift pump, i think my lift pump is going cos it seems to pull slightly less, but still boosts at 18 and the fuel pump is still rather molescted.

I had the same symptoms as the original poster yesterday, I also had to change the lift pump as it was getting slower and slower and what I also checked whilst I was sat in the engine bay was the valve clearances they were slightly out-not too much but still needed adjusting/looking at anyway and It does'nt hurt to keep an eye on things like that does it?

hth

Cheers folks.

Filters are all new so I'm fairly certain they are clear. I'll give the lift pump some investigation next :)

Pretty certain the rad is OK the water is beautifully clear still so there obviously not much corrosion going on in there. The rad is probably a tad blocked externally though as its regularly pushing a bow wave through a river. I did drive up the legenday Porlock Hill last week on low throttle and the temp didn't rise a bit, under load with the sankey or hoofing on it does.

Is the diaphragm on the injector pump free to move ?

Have just freed one off for someone that had dunked the engine at a local P&P last winter, very similar symptoms to what you descibe Will

...somebody had told him the turbo had gone phoot .. :) 5 mins with the WD40 , job done :D

cheers

Steveb

Is the diaphragm on the injector pump free to move ?

Have just freed one off for someone that had dunked the engine at a local P&P last winter, very similar symptoms to what you descibe Will

...somebody had told him the turbo had gone phoot .. :) 5 mins with the WD40 , job done :D

cheers

Steveb

Dunno Steve, added to my list of things to check at the weekend :) Cheers

under load with the sankey or hoofing on it does.

Will,

Have you checked the back of the rad for the presence of cooling fins?

These are very similar symptoms to what I had, there were virtually no fins in the back of the rad as they had corroded away.

Like this:

Picture.jpg

HTH,

Mark.