Td5 cylinder head

Off Road Toad

My new to me td5 engine has it seems, a completely scrap cylinder head :angry2: If it wasn't then it certainly is now. To cut a very long ranting 'kin story short does anyone know of a good second hand head anywhere? it needs to be an early type. or somewhere that sells re-con ones? i simply can't afford a new one :(

Steve

My new to me td5 engine has it seems, a completely scrap cylinder head :angry2: If it wasn't then it certainly is now. To cut a very long ranting 'kin story short does anyone know of a good second hand head anywhere? it needs to be an early type. or somewhere that sells re-con ones? i simply can't afford a new one :( Steve

pm'd

pm'd

Replied to!

whats wrong with your head steve?

I believe its probably cracked, i do need to get it off but i understand its previous owner replaced a head gasket shortly before i got the engine, i've now got it running and at first i couldnt get the heater to work and its gradually got worse (over 3 days driving) to the point that now it only takes 3 miles to blow all the coolant out of the header tank. First time it did this in the ass end of nowhere and i had no phone, i carried on a bit further and it suddenly shot into the red and went into limp home mode. Now its way down on power too so i am braced for the worst.

i had an issue when i first plumbed my td5 into my challenge truck & it was caused by the thermostat in the fuel cooler sticking closed,basically would run fine, get hot & blow the coolant out, removed the thermostat & it appeared to work better, was only on disasembling a burst fuel cooler i found the thermostat

im assuiming you have the pipe work as it should be in a standard car & not having it plumbed different?

I changed the normal thermostat, didn't know about the one in the fuel cooler? after changing the regular one i could get heat in the heater for a short period then it obviously loses water and then heat. I am concernd about the power loss now though. When the turbo comes on boost you can hear pressure build in the cooling system then it blows out, sound like a geiser.

Steve

what a bummer pal

i havent got the paperwork to hand but i do have it at home so if someone else doesnt come up with any ill send it over to you

i do have a good 10p cyl head thats been tested out good but its going onto an engine

if i can dig out another one ill give you a shout.

it might be worth buying a later 15p engine and breaking your engine for spares.

youll find that by tge time all the bits have gone the 15p engine would have cost you not much more than what another cyl head will cost

dan

Well, i got the head off and guess what? it's scrap :angry2: I can see at least five cracks, which means there will be more inside that i can't see. The plastic dowels were completely norsed up (funny don't you think as it supposedly had a new head gasket 500 miles ago) I now need to do some serious money saving to get another head and i've had to cancel a trip to France next month :angry2:

Steve

Can anyone point me in the right direction for cylinder head removal procedure for td5's please? i can't seem to find any info.

Steve

have a look in the manuals section of our tech archive for RAVE, or just Google search for LR RAVE & find a download, all the Td5 manuals are on the CD/download

Well, i got the head off and guess what? it's scrap :angry2: I can see at least five cracks, which means there will be more inside that i can't see. The plastic dowels were completely norsed up (funny don't you think as it supposedly had a new head gasket 500 miles ago) I now need to do some serious money saving to get another head and i've had to cancel a trip to France next month :angry2:

Steve

get the later STEEL dowels as well, that will prevent the head moving.

Thanks Gents, I have looked into the replacement engine route and erm well no, not at the prices they're fetching at the moment :blink: I won't be buying a new head either! i reckon they must be on hard drugs charging those prices! I have been offered a couple of decent second hand heads for 'reasonable' money and which i'll end up going for. just need to find the cash :(

As for the steel dowels, i'll get some and if they don't fit then i'll be getting some designed and made up that will fit by my tame designer :P and thankyou Ralph for the pointers to RAVE, that'll be useful for re-assembly. The power loss has been solved too, the replacement wastegate hose that HFH kindly gave me wasn't up to the job and is missing in action, that along with a soggy air filter that tried to make its way into the turbo and got stopped by the airflow meter certainly was to blame for that at least :o

On the plus side swmbo's not speaking to me anymore :hysterical: AND i am familiar with the bowels of this engine before i've even done one tank of diesel! thats even quicker than the 'factory exchange' v8 that i bought off ebay for £200 and lasted four weeks before melting every single piston to the block :blink:

Steve

hmmm

I know of a 4.5 v8 full race eales motor complete with full megasquirt kit n loom :D

I'll get me coat

Nige

Technically i still beat you in the race to swap engines and have a working car Barker, just that mine turned out to be a pup, i do so hope that the 'tea chest' of mismatched/abused/knackered parts you bought for £££££££££££££££££ turns out ok :ph34r:

Not sure where you've looked for a new head but Turners are probably much cheaper than LR Gen TD5 heads and I'd trust their judgement in stating that the ones they sell are better than standard. But still £1095 plus VAT. And the £150 cost of their fitting kit might tell you somehting about why the allegedly sorted one that you bought failed so soon afterwards, even if it was OK to start with.