Mapping Apps

Jimbo_C

HI folks

I guess like me a lot of people here have got various mapping apps for their smart phones. I thought we could share our thoughts on them .

At the moment I have Back country navigator pro for android. this downloads os maps from mulit-map (now bing). it also saves them locally so you can plan the route at home then you don't have to worry about network coverage when you are out and about. having said that I used it live as it were on a recent trip to darkest Northumberland and it worked very well indeed. I have spent time with the online country side access maps and I have tagged waypoints in the app for days out. for a few quid this app works very well indeed and it my current favourite.

before I get any wise cracks about real maps, I have a load of them in the car as well and I wouldn't ever take them out but these apps are very easy to use and the maps are bigger, especially as I have a 5inch dell streak as a dedicated map device in the car, although my normal phone does the trick just fine as well.

what do the rest of you think ?

• 3 weeks later...

There's n app for iPhone which I'm about to download called outdoors/ My mate showed it to me this weekend and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. You buy maps as packages but they are OS maps. 1:50k maps for Yorkshire are £6.99 I think, with 1:25k being a bit more.

It actually saves them on the device, so you don't need network coverage at all!

Memory Map for iOS is very good, especially if you have a PC version of Memory Map with maps already as you can transfer all the maps you have for the PC to the iOS version. If you have more than one iOS device it's worth knowing that you only need to buy one copy of the app (ISTR it's about £5). I use it on my iPhone when I'm out on my MTB and on an iPad 2 when I'm green laning or doing navigational events.

For Android, ViewRanger works pretty well and full 50K mapping for the UK comes in at around £90 and I believe you can use the maps/application on more than one device.

I'm using the paid version of MM Tracker, finding it really good, you can copy map extracts to your SD card and use them, load tracks and routes (transferred as gpx files) and the best part I really like is it rotates the map to follow your direction of travel... no more U turns?!!

It was £19.99 the other day.

Chris

Ouch, that has gone up then - that's the problem with the app store, once you've bought something the price goes off the app and is replaced with an "Install" button.

Looking through my iTunes receipts though it cost me £9.99 so more than I thought but considerably cheaper than now !

I'm also using MMtracker for android, it cost me £5 for the full version. I like the fact that I'm not relying on network coverage for my maps, I bought a 16GB micro SD card and put all the qct map files on there.

Have ordered a bigger sd card now and am going to go for the MMtracker full version :) I have Memory Map on my laptop but fancy something for cycling to and at a fiver it would seem silly not to :)

Ouch, that has gone up then - that's the problem with the app store, once you've bought something the price goes off the app and is replaced with an "Install" button.

Looking through my iTunes receipts though it cost me £9.99 so more than I thought but considerably cheaper than now !

I went on the App Store to look too and found the same as you. I paid £9.99 too and it went up about a month later IIRC. Still well worth the money though as long as you already have the maps - and makes green lane navigation a doddle.

Chris

I went on the App Store to look too and found the same as you. I paid £9.99 too and it went up about a month later IIRC. Still well worth the money though as long as you already have the maps - and makes green lane navigation a doddle.

Chris

Yep,, i got stung £20 then !!!

As said, if you have the maps on the PC, worth it,, but the reviews on the app store does not make good reading,,

Mine works OK ,, mind

I like the idea of that app!

Presumably it can use the collection of Memory-Map QCT files I already have?

Yep MM Tracker can :) I've been playing with it with the 1:25k OS qct files for Memory Map

It says it doesn't use the encrypted maps, but I don't appear to have any encrypted ones. Download the MM Tracker Free first to test your maps. Assuming of course you were talking about MM tracker and not the iPhone app... :)

I use MM on iPhone and iPad.... Not all of what you get on a PC but very useable.

Chris, how did you get on in Wales with MM?

I stayed with PC for the trip to share routes on the day etc. Can you import routes from email or is it still tied to PC and iTunes for that ?

Neil

Like Dave says, but only as a .GPX IIRC.

Mark was in charge of navigation in Wales but he seemed to get along fine. He was looking at his Toughbook on Saturday but abandoned it Sunday. He did use a paper map too, the iPad screen is only so big...

Chris

i used mmtracker on my android tablet with built in gps its very good. I have got viewranger installed on my symbian phone and think its great. You can export import from memory map on your pc.

So, will memorymaps .qct maps work with the viewranger app on symbian? That'd be useful!

No Sorry you have to purchase the maps from viewranger. you can choose which tile you want using there map chooser app its fairly cheap. I got East anglia for £20 you can download a trial version and it gives the ability to use a free map which you have to download over the air.