converting from diesel to petrol... the hard way

discomikey

hi all, i had a thought today, would it be possible to stick a 2.25 petrol head on a 2.25 diesel, add the dizzy and a few other bits and expect it to run like a standard 2.25 petrol?

im asking this because im fed up of the complete undriveability of my 2.25d engine and i have a 2.25 engine in the workshop, which the bores are buggered.

so would it work or am i barking up the wrong tree?

I suspect it'd actually work reasonably well - the difference in compression ratio is achieved by the voids in the head, not by the piston depth or crank throw, which is the same on both engines. The pistons are different, but the diesel pistons are tougher to deal with the much higher compression ratios. I don't know whether there are significant metallurgical differences in the pistons - the diesel pistons may suffer if there are differences as the petrol flame will burn hotter.

The cam followers are the same, but you might need different push rods for the rockers as the heads may be different thicknesses. The cam shaft skew gear is the same, so a distributor should fit in place of the injection pump. The timing case and water pump are identical.

I think the biggest issue might be the vacuum system for the brake servo.

It fits and will work, but it might be an idea to see what you can do with the diesel engine first.

A long time ago I have build a tuned version of a petrol engine, which was based on an old 2.5 turbodiesel block with a 2.25 petrol head to create a high compression version. I did fit petrol pistons and con rods, in order to rebuild it, but it would have worked with diesel pistons I reckon.

Daan

• 1 month later...

Mikey, can;t see any reason why not, but I would suggest will be swapping out pistons too though... which means if you have buggered bores you may be into new rings etc, that is if they haven't been overbored, or have both been bored out the same.