Leatherman - Excellent Service from Whitby and Co

RichardAllen

While on holiday recently I lost thePhilips/flat blade screwdriver bit that came with my Leatherman Wave. Unfortunately, you cannot buy that bit, which I find the most useful, in the Leatherman bit kits. Through a stockist, I found out that the importers are Whitby and Co (www.whitbyandco.co.uk). A quick call to them and a replacement bit arrived in the post absolutely free. My Leatherman is once again complete.

So a sincere thankyou from me to Whitby and Co. Naturally, I have no other relationship with this firm other than as a very satisfied customer.

Regards

Richard

The leatherman Micra (think it's the cheapest one??) is without doubt the best tool since the first ape picked up a rock, and hit something with it.

fits unobtrusively on a key ring, and I have used mine so much since getting it about six years ago, I've worn it out.

I bought one for a mate of mine, who initially said thanks, but he wouldn't be able to use it as he always carried an excellent swiss army knife, passed down to him by his late father, which he treasured. A few months later, he had said nothing, but I noticed the swiss knife was in a drawer and the leatherman on his keyring :rolleyes: .

Most useful bit on it is the scissors - I've used them for cutting toenails, cable ties, cutting up tin cans to make shims, chopping up meat, nose hair and wire stripping. The screwdrivers actually work as well, and the knife blade is like a mini samurai sword.

I finally wore the scissors out, so I'm going to return it under warranty and get it fixed, feel like I'm missing my third hand at the mo.

I got myself a Skeletool CX (?). Carbon fibre version anyway and best tool I've had. Snapped it in half doing something it want really meant to do and dropped by a mate who sells them and had a new (beefed up) one free of charge.

Any of you ever get stopped by the police when you've had your leatherman on you? Just curious as to what they say/do.

I've got two, an original in black finish that must be more than 15 years old now and is starting to show it's age and a Surge which is still on top form at about 5 years old.

Great tools, which have done a lot more than they were designed to :)

Any of you ever get stopped by the police when you've had your leatherman on you? Just curious as to what they say/do.

I've got two, an original in black finish that must be more than 15 years old now and is starting to show it's age and a Surge which is still on top form at about 5 years old.

Usually if you can provide a valid reason for possessing it then you're ok. We've never had an issue with the 2ft machetes I tended to carry around in the Land Rover. Similar approach with firearms etc. After speaking with my new Firearms Office in Surrey (when I moved from Dyfed Powys) because of the farm in Wales and the land up in the Highlands I've kind of got a carte-blanche when it comes to what firearms I want to possess...

Only with a blade length over 3" I think it is, that you need a good reason to carry it. Trying to find the info now...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8233

This gives a good overview of the law situation. Generally speaking, so long as the knife does not come under the specific types prohibited by certain laws (flick-knives etc.) then as long as you have good reason for carrying one you should be OK.

A Leatherman with a locking blade isn't an issue unless you cannot show 'good reason', regardless of blade length.

That's a good article James :) I think it boils down to, under 3 inches non locking folding blades are fine to carry around. Anything bigger, locking or non folding you need to have good reason to carry, that reason could be work, hobby, religion or national dress.

So my original leatherman is fine as the blade is 2 1/2 inches (It's the sharpened part of the blade apparently that you measure)

My Surge may be ok, if only I could find it :blink:

Edit: although if the Surge has locking blades it won't be ok to just have in my pocket on a daily basis :(

Yeah, the Surge will be ok if you have good reason, it would be up to you to think of one when plod asks :P

I wouldn't be concerned with carrying one in the car, in fact there are at least two multi-tools in my car at this moment in time I think. Plus a Swiss-army knife.

My boss was stopped in his Land Rover a while back and he had all manner of knives, at least one fixed-blade over 3", and other cutting things in the car (axes, bill-hooks, chainsaws etc.). The knives weren't a problem as he had good reason to be carrying them.