Revolver Shackles - Anyone use them?

Tom Fall

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at different ways of getting more articulation out of the front of my Series III.

I've done a load of research on what the Suzuki and Jeep boys do, and the key point seems to be revolver shackles, so I've got a few questions!!

1 - What are they like on the road? Handling a bit 'tweaky' or OK?

2 - Do you fit them purely on the front (hanging off front of chassis) of the spring, or put a pair on each side (one at front and back of spring)?

3 - How often do you need to grease them etc?

Anyone with any info, I'd love to hear from you! And if anyone has already done this to a SIII (I haven't seen it though) how did you do it? I'm looking at using ones designed for a Jeep YJ as the springs are the same width as mine:

http://www.teraflex.biz/yj-front-revolver-shackle.html

Cheers in advance,

Tom

Did have a look at Gon2Far, I remembered them from when they first came about. Also did a Forum search and found that there was some info about them being bought out (the leaf sprung side of it at least) by CPC. Now assuming that CPC stood for Chris Perfect Components, I googled THAT and the resulting site was less than useful...so it was kinda back to square one again. If you happen to know if the Gon2Far front spring mounts are still being made/sold/available ANYWHERE then please let me know, as I know this solution works really well!!

Tom

Gon2Far have been gone for ages haven't they? the 3 link stuff I believe was bought by QT so it might be worth a call to them?

I may be wrong but surely you don't want a shackle on both ends of the spring or you won't get any axle location? only reason a zuk or jeep would have them on the front is their shackles happen to be on the front of the spring.

I think the best option would be to Fab your own front ones from scratch.

I have a set of rears. I took them off as it was causing propshaft problems with me having an LT77.

I may well pit them back on with centre limiting in place but that's a long way down my job list.

Thanks for the replies so far guys...

I've been looking at FridgeFreezers truck and the Gon2Far front mounts, and thinking of fabbing something similar with the help of my old man (he's a bit good at that sort of stuff). UNLESS...anyone has a set they fancy selling?

Tom

Got G2F fronts on my 109, had revolvers for the back but given the abuse & road use the truck gets I decided to sell them as they didn't look like a clever idea. Mostly I just forget to unlock the fronts so even though I'm the only person I know who owns a set, I can't really comment on how much difference they've made :blush:

That said, I did the Gon2far website for Nigel back in the day and spent a lot of time chatting to him and he did know his stuff, and the kit did make a measurable difference. There was a lot more to it than shackles though - the shocks were massive (14" travel) and required relocated mounts.

You can sort of see mine twisting here:

And here:

flex_log1.JPG

How much difference it really makes is hard to say, the parabolics are much flexier anyway and my shocks are 14" travel so that's two restrictions removed. I can bend the springs past flat on both ends.

They're not a complicated thing to knock up if you can weld.

Excellent video, thanks for that FF. I'm not looking to gain massive amounts of extra articulation, as my car is still my daily driver and to do so would compromise its on road abilities. I'm going to have a look out for some of the Gon2Far front mounts (which I dare say will be a fruitless search) and failing that, I'll make something similar. I think my shocks are 10 or 12", which is perfectly OK for me...I'm not looking for something thats unstoppable, just a little more capable =)

One quick question about the front set up - Obviously theres the G2F mounts on the front of the spring, is there anything extra done on the rear of the front spring though? Or is it mounted on a standard shackle?

Tom

I've got front and back revolvers, bought from Gon2ofar many years ago they were the last set he had (fronts anyway), never used still in the shed, along with grease nipple bolts+ bushes. PM me if your interested.

You can't beat rear springs up front (with big 14" stroke shocks and relocated mounts) for an awesome ride on the street and huge articulation...

IMG_8093.jpg

Very impressive, reminds me off Timm coopers 109, that ran rear springs on the front and longer chevy springs on the back.

Paul Heystee used Jeep springs on the front of his 109 for similar effect, about 4" shorter than LR rears( IIRC) but the design of the spring eyes and size of the bushes meant they flexed just as well. I've got some of them aswell :blink:.

One quick question about the front set up - Obviously theres the G2F mounts on the front of the spring, is there anything extra done on the rear of the front spring though? Or is it mounted on a standard shackle?

Tom

Yes revolvers on the front springs aswell, Gon2far had a few sets made specially, as said previously I had the last set, bare in mind though with extra articulation coming from the rear shackle, its very unkind on the propshaft.

SOA 93 if you do dig them out of the shed could you take some pictures / measurements please?

Robotman

I'm going to Thailand next week, not coming back till New Year, wifes already there along with her camera, mines stuck/died, I also have way to much work to get done before I go, so it will have to wait till I get back, sorry.

I just googled this http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/newproducts/gone2far/index.shtml

Google> Revolver Shackles

Hi yes I had the G2far kit right from the start, it is an excellent kit it has had very much abuse but still does the job!!

never found it a problem on the road never bothered to lock the front mounts

I would post some pictures but don't know how as new to this

Marc

I fitted the front twisting spring mounts just the other day after a lucky ebay find! My front axle barely moved before with rocky mountain springs and extended shackles-winch bumper and winch don't help with weight I think, now the front spring moves-amazing! well worth the money/time easy as to weld on too-simples.

I'm looking for rear revolvers now as the extended shackles eat through bushes in under a year just offroading every now and then :/

So if anyone has some rears for sale-or dimensions :)

I've not had a problem with eating bushes, are you running genuine or something else?

Mine eats bushes too, for breaksfast lunch and dinner....

The bushes on the shackle end of the front springs rarely survive a good few days offroad use.. They just get torn to bits due to the massive articulation from the front end. Shackle swing combined with the torsion stresses on the spring just ruins them. Even the real deal polybushes didn't last long..

The bushes on the fixed end of the spring are holding up better. The rears are holding up better too as there's less articulation there (springs are further apart).