200 TDI? is it that much better than a 2.5TD??

AS the title really, my 90 has a 2.5TD and it is starting to get a bit tired now as its starting to smoke a bit and is a bit slow on start up first thing in the morning :(

I have been told that the 200 tdi is a really good swap with little hassle and good benefits...is this true?

I mean is it worth the agro of fitting the new engine? or should i just fix the Td lump??

Is there a difference in the wiring or is it just a straight swap??

Just after a bit of pointing in the right direction really :)

Any help is appreciated

Sam

YES!

Having driven a 2.5 TD I can tell you the 200 tdi is a big improvement. Another 30 bhp or thereabouts, and quieter (a bit)!

The tdi will also outlive the TD several times over.

I'm sure someone else will expand on all the details involved, but I'm sure a conversion will cost less than a full rebuild.

There is a write up in the tech archive of a conversion http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

A picture speaks a thousand words and all that....

Getting a complete donor vehicle is a good idea as you need a bit more than just the bare engine and also it has the advantage that you can drive it about a bit first to make sure it's an ok engine

spending money on a td really isn't worth it the 200tdi is far superior. from a conversion point a defender 200tdi is easier to fit that a discovery 200tdi. If i was looking to covert a td now though I'd go for a 300tdi.

really? I was told just to do a 200 as the 300 wasnt as good??

really? I was told just to do a 200 as the 300 wasnt as good??

You've opened a big can of worms there!! on paper both TDi's are as good as the other, 300 is newer, however IMHO the 200 is better.

The thing people seem to have is parts availability for the 200TDi, which is a load of carp.... cylinder heads are no longer made.... thats fine, you dont change a cylinder head that often. Cant get injectors.... maybe not, but you can get the nozzles for them, there the bits that wear out.

TBH put in a 200 or a 300 or a V8, all will be a big improvement on what you have.

300's have problems with timing belt wear, but if it snaps it isn't normally expensive to fix. Sensitive to coolant level as water pump is higher than the 200, if you don't keep an eye on it you could cook your engine. Discovery 300 tdi engine is virtually the same as the defender engine..... using either defender or discovery engine will require new engine mounts on the chassis of a td defender.

200's aren't quite as refined as a 300 and the discovery engine has a number of differences to the defender engines, the exhaust manifold of discovery engines leads to some very tight exhaust routings which can cause some access issues for starter motor and clutch slave maintenance.

V8's .... no idea of what the problems are other than they will cost more to run (although lpg is an option to reduce cost). They can be succesfuly water proofed but it's easier to waterproof a diesel.

I have a 300 TDI discovery engine in my 110 and I like it....

anyone else want to add constructive pro's and cons to the list so the OP can make an informed decision?

Now time for me to find the asbestos suit to stop the flames from this debate :P

I would recommend a 300tdi, for reasons of parts availability etc. Plus the faults are well and truly known now, and the engines with care will last 500,000 KM.

Ido however have a Turbocharged LD28 (Nissan) I fitted to a series 3, around 10 years ago, and with the Ashcroft High Ratio Kit for the transfer box works fine. Bit noisy and the radio well its a case of sing as you drive.

With the large amount of 300tdi engines availale on ebay, I'd pick that ahead of the 200.

The engine mount change is pretty straight forward and not one to be avoided.

Brgds

Paul

It's possible to pick up an early 200TDi 90 for less than a grand and a half now - I'd consider buying one of these, swapping all the best bits of your current truck over, then flog your old 90. Might cost less overall and save on spanner time. If you bought and sold well it might even by a free upgrade?

It's possible to pick up an early 200TDi 90 for less than a grand and a half now - I'd consider buying one of these, swapping all the best bits of your current truck over, then flog your old 90. Might cost less overall and save on spanner time. If you bought and sold well it might even by a free upgrade?

I only paid a few hundred quid for my truck now an I know the history of it so I know what work I've done on it prior (chassis welding clutch all brake pipes tank steering box shockers etc etc as the guy previous spent loads on it) so i do fancy keeping it as it is solid a reasonably tidy.

How much do the mounts differ from the TD to the 200 ones? and where do I find these??

I would recommend a 300tdi, for reasons of parts availability etc. Plus the faults are well and truly known now, and the engines with care will last 500,000 KM.

Ido however have a Turbocharged LD28 (Nissan) I fitted to a series 3, around 10 years ago, and with the Ashcroft High Ratio Kit for the transfer box works fine. Bit noisy and the radio well its a case of sing as you drive.

With the large amount of 300tdi engines availale on ebay, I'd pick that ahead of the 200.

The engine mount change is pretty straight forward and not one to be avoided.

Brgds

Paul

What bits of a 200tdi are hard to get hold of? I still failto see the argument there. 300's are easer to find but there more of a bodge to fit. 200tdi's are capable of huge milage, just ask Ralph/Western.

What bits of a 200tdi are hard to get hold of? I still failto see the argument there. 300's are easer to find but there more of a bodge to fit. 200tdi's are capable of huge milage, just ask Ralph/Western.

What aspect of fitting a 300tdi do you consider a bodge? Genuinely interested to know.

What aspect of fitting a 300tdi do you consider a bodge? Genuinely interested to know.

Whether or not it is a bodge is entirely down to the individual that carries out the work!

The most common bodge I can think of in this instance, is the business of connecting the Defender exhaust to Disco turbo. If a Def turbo setup is used there is no bodge.

Largely it's down to whether you go to the effort of finding all the necessary parts to make it fit correctly.