aaron_h

Supercharger = Procharger C-1

Blow off valve = Bailey recirculating dump valve (demon tweeks)

Metal plates are figured out by me with some card then scanned at a laser cutting place. The one that bolts to the charger its self I drew on cad then exported to DXF

Silicone hose elbows EBAY

Brake check valve (stops boost entering your brake servo) EBAY from a turbo saab.

Water cooled intercooler was a used item from a friend. but they are available from http://www.chargecooler.co.uk

Crank pulley from a 300tdi I think, but bored out and a Megasquirt / EDIS / Rover V8 crank spacer welded into the middle of it to get the stud patten.

post-5991-0-80366000-1329474934_thumb.jpg

Boring out the 300tdi pulley

post-5991-0-20406500-1329474953_thumb.jpg

The spacer on the back is just afew bits of tube that I turned so it was a close fit against each other then got welded while bolted to the pulley and another RV8 crank spacer.

may be i do but not a lot of use for a 4.6 in a cave!!! Why cause its simple and it works, very little to go wrong!!! RPI 4.6 stage 3 heads vernier timing gear piper cams weber 500 mallory una lite the list goes on!!!!and on lpg!!! petrol 93 lpg 112 no quibbles really!!!

Phil,

I don't wish to be rude & I'm certainly not questioning your ability but the Weber 500 is frankly cr@p.

I'm sure you have considered Megasquirt but maybe you think there is too much to go wrong etc but if you look on Chavtube, Google etc or just look at what some of the members of this forum put 'squirted trucks through you may come to a different conclusion.

You seem to be willing to spend a significant amount of beer tokens on your 4.6 (which i applaud) but please don't bugger it up by fitting carbs.

Edit: Aaron, sorry your post has been hijacked, the thought of supercharging my V8 is giving me a semi!

Peace,

Mick.

well its started out as a 3litre essex then went 3.5v8 then went 4.6 its on carbs money is spent !!! what makes you say it will bugger up been on the 500 for 3 years no problems.

reason i say omex is that is what i have fitted to my dax rush with a cossie turbo in , and it flies !!!!

strange they reckon megasquirt is cheap and nasty you reckon carbs are cheap and nasty , what is the best of the best?

People who charge £1000 for an ECU and £50 for picking the phone up to help you will not have a high opinion of an open-source alternative which costs lots less, where all the info is online for free, and that does everything their box does and more.

My truck started with a Holley 390 (carp), then Weber 500 (quick on road, unreliable off road, horrible on fuel), then Flapper EFI (better than both the "performance" carbs), then megasquirt (better again), now megasquirt'n'EDIS (super lovely). I believe Neil (V8Freak) went from Omex to MS so he's best qualified to talk about the difference.

My favourite argument about carbs / dizzies is "you can fix them in the field" and I always enjoy reminding people of this when they are trying to fix one in a field :ph34r: . The only moving part in EFI is the injector, and you've got 8 of them so plenty of spares :D

How the vehicle runs is mostly down to how it's tuned, not really what the ECU is, the maths is the same no matter what your calculator is. People did stop using the abacus some time ago though ;)

Veering back on topic for a bit, if it was my engine I'd be looking at some sort of tunable EFI+ignition for that setup if only to avoid melting a piston or somesuch and to give some sort of feedback on the tuning, once you add boost to an engine it becomes very worthwhile to add a wideband lambda sensor to check everything's happy and within safe limits. It *is* possible with clockwork but it's very hard to get right across the board without making compromises.

Not talking from any knowledgeable standpoint - I like diesels - but a carb would be simple for fueling with changing boost pressures. More air you draw through it the more fuel it atomises in the venturi. With injection would presumable have the same problems you get on a turbo engine, calculating fuel delivery against boost and revs a nd throttle position. Can MS do that? How would you measure the boost and change the fuelling map without risking it running to lean and burning a hole in something important?

Ps. Want to have a go in your dax mate. Had a go at a track day in one fitted with a heavily tweaked honda S2000 engine in it. RAPID did not describe it, brutal!!!

Yep dax sure is quick running about 340bhp at present hopefully when i finish off my truck in the next month or so,with small investment of a new turbo and exhaust been promised figures around 440bhp !!! not bad in a car that weighs 600kg i thought!!!

Its a 9.35:1 engine, and with the procharger c-1 running a 6" crank pulley and a 3" charger pulley its giving only 2 - 3 psi of boost, it has livened it up abit....

Those pulley sizes were given by procharger tech support for this engine as a safe start.

Naturally 2 psi dont really need a ton of fuel or afew degrees of ign retard. Its running the 28 degrees advance. 12.5:1 afr under boost. Standard flapper injectors (with resistor pack)

I have got some 3" aluminium round bar off ebay to make 2 more pulleys for the charger. One will be 2.5" the other will be somewhere between 2.5" - 3"

I have a 3.9 inlet manifold and fuel rail, while the 3.9 injectors are not much bigger i understand they are more of a "standard" fit. So i can fit all that and easily source some high impedance big injectors that will fit, and do away with the flapper resistor pack.

As for megasquirt vs omex vs any other engine management.

Megasquirt has been submerged, iv cleaned mud off it, its never gone wrong, and if it did i could find the info and buy the parts to repair it because its open source.

One of my interests is programming pic chips, so im wondering how long it will be before i decide to doctor megasquirt to do something different.... Its opensource so i can : ) i dont know enough yet to do it like.

Professionals mite slate megasquirt, but the guys who wrote the code and designed the board for megasquirt know more then most professionals who fit other management systems. With megasquirt.... If you desire it create it yourself.

+ by next week i will be logging megasquirt with my android phone / motorola xoom tablet hopefully.

I always wonder how the flimsy 37 pin computer plug would stand the rigours of successive seasons racing or rallying on the Megasquirt ECU. Is it impossible to build the ECU's with a something more substantialor is that a change of PCB? That is one aspect that the OMEX ECU definitely scores on

The OMEX is much more a plug and play setup, with Megasquirt you almost have too many options switched on and available for befuddlement. Much of these base configurations are hidden from normal users with OMEX

We sell a lot of OMEX ECUs with engines and have been using the 600 ECUs for racing without issue since 2004. Prior to that we used and sold the Weber Alpha and Alpha Plus systems with engines which was an absolute dinosaur by comparison but that really comes about because it hadn't seemed to change since about 1990. Burning Eproms anyone?

Anyway, back to Suoercharging....