Rear brake lights keep melting

Has anyone had a problem with the rear lights melting, the bulb bayonet fitting slowly melts away then the bulb touches the side, then just gets worse..

They maybe britpart or wipac I can't remember.

Is there a solution.

I can't be the only one, can I? :(

Your not the only one britpart are the worst so much so I emailed them to complain thinking I had nothing to lose after "testing" they confirmed they couldn't replicate the problem so sent me a new pair which also melted. I replaced them with genuine 300tdi style type (bulb mounts from behind) but I'm told genuine early type don't melt either will find out soon as I've got a side light on the 110 that the bulb falls out after being on for 5mins.

Mike

I am not sure whether I sit with my foot on the brake, I think I probably do!

So only genuine ones then,

Is that what a decent bulb holder translates to?

I suppose LEDs would also be a fix.

I really am surprised that this is an issue for so many................ Mine have melted in weeks.

Yep, Britpart are the problem and genuine are the solution. LED's would also work.

Sitting with your foot on the brakes for long periods doesn't help but with LR's it sometimes unavoidable off-road, especially if you haven't got an X-brake.

I think it's not confined to Britpart as an issue, I had some cheap Wipac's that came from a LR show that all did the same trick, although you never know if they really were made by Wipac. If memory serves, LEP are one of the better makes.

I've got a set of genuine later (300TDi?) Defender ones to go on mine when I get round to it, the ones with waterproof connectors rather than trailing wires.

I've had the problem with Britpart brake lights, There seem to be a few different brands (presumably from the same manufacturer) that use a fairly "soft" black plastic. In the end I found some AllMakes ones that were a white brittle plastic that fixed the problem.

I've also had lenses melt slightly on brake lights, including genuine part ones, I suspect having an auto doesn't help as you're far more likely to sit with the brakes on for extended periods of time.

I once decided it would be a good idea to fit 21W bulbs in my front side lamps. They were very bright, but the lenses started to look like something from a Dali painting so I went back to 5W bulbs, 10W ones seem to work OK though...

Chris

I've had 21w front sidelight bulbs fitted for years. Only problem I have ever had was a bulb dying :lol:

No idea what origin the lamp holders are, maybe the damp moss and mud that accumulates in my lights acts as a heat sink :unsure:

Any news on LE Perie or genuine Land Rover lights?

I guess avoid the OEM Britpart ones which are as expensive as the above ones.

So LE Perie or genuine.........................??

Ed

I've had 21w front sidelight bulbs fitted for years. Only problem I have ever had was a bulb dying :lol:

No idea what origin the lamp holders are, maybe the damp moss and mud that accumulates in my lights acts as a heat sink :unsure:

21watt is way over the top for front side/marker lights & not in keeping with the 1989 vehicle lighting regs for obligatory light.

Any news on LE Perie or genuine Land Rover lights?

I guess avoid the OEM Britpart ones which are as expensive as the above ones.

So LE Perie or genuine.........................??

Ed

LE Perie supply LR as a genuine part.

21watt is way over the top for front side/marker lights & not in keeping with the 1989 vehicle lighting regs for obligatory light.

I think Mickey's 90 is old rustic ancient historic enough to be exempt from such legislature :)

For what it's worth, I've also suffered from cheap lights melting. Would only buy L.E.P. ones now, as per original fitment.