Reinforced Series Axles and diff

carlosbeldia

I've been searching around in the web looking for an straight change (10 splines) for a rear diff and their axles with no result. Can anybody tell me what else can I do? I need something like Ashcroft or KAM. I received an e-mail asking GBP 1000 for just a reinforced 10 splines diff custom made....

• Like 2

Well, assuming you can't fit something from a locally available truck (sacrilege, I Know - but needs must), then you could fit a detroit locker or a true trak into the existing diff. You could also fit the ring and pinion from a more modern vehicle, like a RRC or tdi200 disco - they are a fair bit stronger, as I understand it.

As for the half shafts, then you could enquire locally at an engineering company - the half shafts aren't that difficult to make for an engineering firm.

Based where you are, you would be best advised to look locally - the transport and customs duty would make anything else expensive.

G.

Transport and duties are not a problem (friend of mine coming to Colombia light of luggage), want my Series completly Series (already have a Defender, so Series is for fun, must be strong with all the jungle surrounding my city), not even a locker is an option, we want all original. Any idea for a company making these diffs stronger?

Hi Carlos

You may benefit from pegging the diff to reduce CW deflection - Hybrid-from-hell / Nige on here has done a thread on here iirc and then custom made higher grade shafts .

Which bits are breaking?

The 1 ton 109 series III had Salisbury's front and rear but they are rare to find

cheers

Steveb

Suggestions are

Upgrade diff centre to a 24 spline unit, maybe a 4pin or a locker.

Contact KAM and get a set of there HD shafts that fit a Series but with 24 spline inners not 10

10 spline stuff is weaker than 24 spline due to the depth of the 10 spline splines invading the metal to a huge depth compared with

24 spline which means that fully splined the 24 spline has a core thickness far thicker than a 10 spline unit, add decent metal and

heat treatments on top and bobs ywer fathers cat cosuin

Having a local engineering firm knock up some shafts for you from unobtainuim etc is not the answer metal is pat of it yes, but

polishing / heat treatment cryo freezing etc can tansform things to another dimension, is not as easy as just popping shafts out of a

machine shop - if only !

Even then 10 spline anything = breakages = back to square one, except truck now unusable !

Thats a strong axle then

Peg it and even stronger :o)

Hope this helps

Nige

I have three questions:

- What is peg? how can that be done?

- Using 24 splines diff and half shaft is an straight replacement? aren't 24 half shafts a little longer?

- 24 splines are 3.54? my car is a 4.7 ratio, I don't wanti it to be changed

Here I can relatively easy obtain a Santana Salisbury or ENV axles, but I consider they too bulky, a really pain in the ass in our off road courses, due to mud trails depth and even worst when you need an spare (10 splines Sallisbury). As per originality account, I'm not as interested in look as I'm in mechanical feeling. I've seen all kinds of mods in our Series, both Santana and english versions and none of them can match the efficiency of an 1959 english car a friend of mine drives..... it's almost the only car with absolutely everything original. Please have in mind we don't go to competitions or sport tracks, we use our Series as they used to be used here in Colombia: as workhorses in the jungle, where a locker is more a trouble than a help (personally haven't found the first "serious" track where you need a locker. By serious I mean work). I'd go with Genuine new diff if I could find it, but in 4.7 version, are they still in sale?

Get a salisbury diff and shave the bottom for more clearance, i think its the cheapest way to get the strength and retain clearance for a rear application. Front is a whole different ball game!

G

I have three questions:

- What is peg? how can that be done?

- Using 24 splines diff and half shaft is an straight replacement? aren't 24 half shafts a little longer?

- 24 splines are 3.54? my car is a 4.7 ratio, I don't wanti it to be changed

Here I can relatively easy obtain a Santana Salisbury or ENV axles, but I consider they too bulky, a really pain in the ass in our off road courses, due to mud trails depth and even worst when you need an spare (10 splines Sallisbury). As per originality account, I'm not as interested in look as I'm in mechanical feeling. I've seen all kinds of mods in our Series, both Santana and english versions and none of them can match the efficiency of an 1959 english car a friend of mine drives..... it's almost the only car with absolutely everything original. Please have in mind we don't go to competitions or sport tracks, we use our Series as they used to be used here in Colombia: as workhorses in the jungle, where a locker is more a trouble than a help (personally haven't found the first "serious" track where you need a locker. By serious I mean work). I'd go with Genuine new diff if I could find it, but in 4.7 version, are they still in sale?

Pegging is the ultimate finish to strengthening up a Land Rover Diff, BUT you would be wasting your time pegging a 2 pin diff.

have a lookie here :

You need a 4 pin. These can be built up into a Long Nose casing and with a 4.7 CW&P pegged or Unpegged.

The KAM Series HD shafts are a direct upgrade and replacement, as the 10 spline are limited by spline invasion making the end core size smaller than 24 spline, hecne why

24 spine are srronger as standard , see the video

KAM shafts for series are 24 spline so you can use 24 spline diff to gain strength, 4.7 CW&P is not as strong as a 3.54 so pegging might be an option, but its top end

so I would say a 24 spine 4 pin and KAM 24 spline series Shafts would be a massive strength increase and pegging to much Over the top and is really for high level competition Land Rovers

With shfats and diff nobody would be able to tell with stripping the axle down to its component parts !

A genuine new 2 pin diff is also a complete and utter waste of money, 2 pin diffs being only as strong as the centre single pin a la video

Nige

nige, you say that it is pointless to do it with a standard diff. what about when all the power is going through 1 diff. i know the pin is still more likely to break but my backlash has got worse and worse. cheers.

You dont have to go 3.54. You can change the internals of a 4.7 to 24 splines.

I run pegged diffs front and rear in my series. I run Kam 4.75 ring and pinions (much stronger than stock series 4.7's) on ARB's. Rear is 24 spline with Kam 24 spline uprated shafts.

Front is still 10 spline inners, but i have uprated the outers to 24 spline lwb ones. The front shafts are the weak point as nobody makes uprated front shafts for a series. Not only the inner shafts, but also the u/j's in the tractor joints break under serious abuse.

Jon

... The front shafts are the weak point as nobody makes uprated front shafts for a series. Not only the inner shafts, but also the u/j's in the tractor joints break under serious abuse.

Jon

I'm going to be annoying now, because I don't have a source to hand, except the vague 'TeriAnn Wakeman has mentioned this, but I don't know if it's on her web site, or if it was just a forum comment'.

I thought someone in North America made / assembled uprated front shafts / UJs, to cope with the V8s etc they sometimes use over there.

I'll make that a statement, not a question.

I will concede that by the time transport and import costs are taken into account, the price in the UK might be considered almost prohibitive, but for a man like you who has everything else .... :-)

Good Luck.

Thanks a lot Jon. Just another pair of question:

- Those 24 spline axles are in the right lenght for Series? is just a matter of take off and put in?

- Can I use the same Series Carrier with this 4.75 ratio?

Old, those are GRB, but they ask USD 1900 just for the diff, another 1300 for rear halfshafts..... imagine how expensive could be the front axles.....

Here's an alternative solution to problem (it's what I've done on a couple of my Series) You need a 4-pin centre as stated earlier, a spacer for the crownwheel and a set of spacers for the bearings, allowing you to fit the lot into Series (Imperial) diffhousing. This will give you 24 spline at the center and a diff that is extremely strong (bearing in mind your R&P are still as weak as now, but running without to much air in you'r tyres really helps them survive) Now you need to sort the 24 spline at the center issue, without spending a fortune, and having parts readily available, you simply buy the halfshafts for a late 88" being 24 spline outer and 10 spline inner, you simply turn them around and cut a groove into the 10 splined end for a locking ring, and put the 24 spline end into the diff, and have 10 spline at the hub/flange. This way it's ALWAYS easy to change the shaft when it breaks, plus it seems to hold up better as the load is always harder at the diff end of the shaft.

I'm going to be annoying now, because I don't have a source to hand, except the vague 'TeriAnn Wakeman has mentioned this, but I don't know if it's on her web site, or if it was just a forum comment'.

I thought someone in North America made / assembled uprated front shafts / UJs, to cope with the V8s etc they sometimes use over there.

I'll make that a statement, not a question.

I will concede that by the time transport and import costs are taken into account, the price in the UK might be considered almost prohibitive, but for a man like you who has everything else .... :-)

Good Luck.

Yes they are made in the states, but its actually easier and cheaper to find a set of volvo portals. The manufacturer of said shafts will not supply them outside of the united states either.

Maybe i should have phrased it as no-one makes front shafts at reasonable cost!

The kam shafts are a straight swap.

Series diff housings and defender ones are basically the same and most parts are interchangeable.

Jon