Tyres - For commuting

General Grabber TRs in 235/86x16 were a common factory fitment on Defenders.

They wear extremely well (mum managed 60k before replacing front pair on her 110),and have good road manners too, not to mention good mpg. They're also perfectly capable down a green lane :)

As above general grabber or for the last couple of years cross continental, there are loads around just don't pay too much some seem to go for silly money some seem to go for a reasonable amount they start at 14mm and anything below 8mm is getting fairly worn.

New take off's are the way to go then you can sell them around 9mm but have 15k out of them first, be careful there General Grabber tyres have been around for a while so check the date codes. Some wheels/tyres have been sat in peoples sheds for a long time and although out of the sun will be starting to go hard, they may have lots of tread but will be a rubbish ride be difficult to balance and may crack or perish.

Jason.

I have two sets of tyres for the 90: a set of BFG muds and a set of General Grabber AT2s.

The difference between them on the road is really noticable, especially in the wet.

On the muds the 90 squirms under braking, takes longer to stop and lights the ABS up all the time. The AT2s are well behaved, and I never see the ABS light. The truck is also more sluggish on the muds on road.

The muds are much better off road, but the AT2s are still very competent.

The 90 had the original TRs on it when delivered which were OK on and off road, but not a patch on the AT2s.

On that basis I would really recommend a set of AT2s or something very similar for commuting, and still allowing you to have fun when you want.

HTH

I bought some grabber trs for my 90 secondhand and have been very pleased with them, I do 70mile total commute each day (v8 powered too! :D) seem to be good on fuel and seem ok in the wet too, have not tried them off-road yet. Am running 235/85's

Another vote for Grabber TRs and I do a 85 mile V8 powered commute :P For a road biased Landie I find they perform really well, and I'm astonished at how slowly they wear. They weren't too bad in the snow either...

Another vote for Grabber TR. Good in the snow and on ice as well. Used mine on the last two trips to southern Africa.

Go very nicely on Discovery steels. I run mine at 30 front 36 rear empty and fully laden.

What size do you run? I'm really trying to get a feel for size. Daisy (My 110) has a 1 or 2 inch lift so I'd really like it if she looked in proportion.

She's got 265/75/16 on at the moment, I don't mind reducing the width but want to try to keep the same diameter! (Ooo' Nurse).

post-25707-0-75071300-1349118775_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

You can find calculators somewhere on the web which will work out the overall wheel (rim and tyre) diameter of different tyre sizes.

May be of use to you, as once you know the overall wheel diameter of your current tyres, you could compare it against the overall diameters different tyre sizes would give you and therefore find something with a similar overall diameter.

Just to be different, I'd vote BFG, either AT or MT, as they last forever.

I would agree. My BFG ATs are great - reasonable economy, good ride and i got ~80k out of the last set (and they were secondhand when i got them!). My biggest problem mpg wise is the roof rack and even with that and AT tyres, i get 25-27mpg from my 110.

I would add another vote for 235/85 Grabber TRs - standard fitment on Defenders until a couple of years ago. I have used them on and off-road on my 110 and have never found them wanting. They are really good in compacted snow - the type you generally find on snowy roads - and are a great road tyre. In muddy conditions they fall some way short of a mud tyre but work far, far better than you imagine a road tyre will work and in non-muddy conditions I think they are probably a better than a mud tyre for most things.

More recently I have been using 235/85 Continental Cross Contact (standard on newer Defenders) on my 90. They are at least as good on road as the TRs, and quiet too, though I suspect that they will not be as good in compacted snow as the TRs as they have less siping - the very thin grooves across the tread. They have a slightly more open tread pattern which makes them rather prone to collecting gravel in the treads which them makes an irritating 'ticking' noise on the road. On the other hand, I think that they work better in wet/muddy off-road conditions than the TRs and are more of an AT pattern. I cannot comment on life expectancy as I have not really done many miles on them - that said, I cannot see any particular evidence of wear on them.

I guess that as with everything it is a case of horses for courses. If I could choose again it would be the Continentals over the Grabbers. If buying new then BFG ATs probably have a longer life but are expensive. On a cost per mile basis the Grabbers are the winner, probably followed by the Continentals as both are readily available new/nearly new but pre-owned for a fraction of the new price.

Chris