gearbox refit.....help!

i've spent most of the past 3 days lying in a muddy field trying to get a gearbox back into place after a clutch change (300tdi defender, r380 gbox)

i've read and re-read les's guide, another one i found through google, and i even looked in a haynes manual for a laugh. i can't work out what we're doing wrong. i've done 2 clutch changes before, so i thought it would be simples.

i've checked that the friction plate is in the right way round, the plate is correctly centered, turned the engine on the crank to line up the splines, raised and lowered gearbox and engine relative to each other, put m10 threaded bar in some holes to make sure the orientation is right, and invented new expletives, 'cos the 'stock' ones didn't work. i've gone back to square one 3 times, removing and re-fitting the friction plate and truely believing that the next time will be the last. it never is.

i always end up with a half inch gap all the way round and no more movement. 'tis making me quite cross.

what am i missing? i will accept all offerings, including ones that describe me as a tit of some sort. i need to get my mate sorted before i can get on with my life, which i really need to do. soon!

is the spigot bearing in the crank ok, nothing in there that shouldn't be.

Steve

I was wondering this. Is it the right one and if so, is it damaged at all? If it was bent slightly on fitting, this could easily prevent the input shaft engaging in it.

Also, is the friction plate centred properly?

i used to own this truck and changed the clutch a couple of years ago. under extreme use (and poor judgement) the new owner burnt out the clutch. knowing it wasn't really the right thing to do, but also knowing the relative youth of the other componants, he just bought a new friction plate. i believe the kit i bought was a borg one, not really sure which parts he sourced...

...could it be the plate has different dimensions? is it thicker? that would explain the consistant gap i guess...

The last time I had to do one by moving the gearbox back it didn't want to go all the way on either. After a good few hours I just got fed up with it, grabed hold of the chassis rails, put both boots on the back of the gearbox and rammed it forward with a jiggle with all my might and it slid on with annoying ease.

The last time I had to do one by moving the gearbox back it didn't want to go all the way on either. After a good few hours I just got fed up with it, grabed hold of the chassis rails, put both boots on the back of the gearbox and rammed it forward with a jiggle with all my might and it slid on with annoying ease.

I had an identical experience. I think it was down to the gearbox input shaft being a tight fit in the spigot bush. I could hardly get the clutch alignment tool out of the bush once in the flywheel, whereas when I trial fitted it to the bush beforehand, it was fine.

Fitting the bolts and trying to pull it towards the bellhousing didn't do much. I had to wiggle the gearbox updownleftright from the end to eventually get it in.

sorted. finally. didmexactly the same as we've been doing for days, and this time it worked. stoopid motors!

That seem to be the rule.

Often fighting with the same stupid thing for a long time. Give up, Go in for a cup of tea, Go out and everything fits straight in first time - beats me why......

Lars

That seem to be the rule.

Often fighting with the same stupid thing for a long time. Give up, Go in for a cup of tea, Go out and everything fits straight in first time - beats me why......

Lars

It's all in the mind, .... and your arms ;)

if not done yet. my trick that seems to work every time is once youve turned the engine to line the splines up (which is done with box in gear so cant move) if you then take it out of gear, and continue to turn the crank whilst lining up the box (this helps the shaft to line up properly with the flange on the clutch) might need 2 or 3 full turns.

if that doesent work. which it should. then press the clutch pedal whilst turning the crank (not by starter motor) and it will slot in.

then its just a case of wiggle it on and nip up the bellhousing bolts.