In vehicle compressor

Big.Mike

I think you would want an air tank to go with it if you are running tools, western's link can supply those. Alternatively you could buy a 25l compressor from Aldi next time they are on offer and run it from an inverter. It would be far more powerful but would take up quite a bit of space.

Harry

keep an eye out on ebay or at car boots for compressors with burnt out motors, there are loads about, and rob the tank, pressure switch, gauges, regulators etc then fill it from an electric pump, aircon pump or truck air compressor. I doubt an electric pump will keep up with a rattle gun but a 25ltr tank will probably give you enough to get a wheel off.

A lot of truck compressors have air driers, are designed to run all time and are often 12 bar. Rattle guns are often rated at 6 bar so effectively you've increased your available air volume. Just make sure the tank can cope with 12 bar.

Honest answer - no. Well not for any useful length of time.

I've got both a 12v and air con compressor with a small storage tank in my challenge truck.

Or buy a battery rattle gun..

Much better idea.

G

I have a Denso A/C compressor feeding my on board air system. I can't imagine being able to run air tools from it even with the engine running at fair RPM. I have a receiver, but tools like rattle guns consume huge volumes of air. For mobile use a battery model is ideal.

In a word no. Not without a BIG tank and that will take forever to fill. I have an AC compressor on my challenge truck and a 10 litre tank and that will happily spin off wheel nuts (though you might need to give it time to refill between nuts if they are stiff). I have a small 12V compressor a bit like the ARB one on my 110 with a 1.5 litre receiver to run the air locker. I fitted a PCL fitting to allow me to blow up tyres so I thought I would try the air gun on it to undo the prop bolts. Gives about 1 second of use!!!

Definitely not.

Air tools need loads of air. Even if you fitted a tank and used the compressor to fill it up, ARB compressors start moaning if they run anywhere near constant duty - ask anyone who's had an air line break on a locker. A tank big enough to run air tools off would probably overheat the compressor before it was full.

I know a bloke using two of the bigger viar compressors with a single large 25litre tank, he can run air tools fairly happily and blow his landcruisers 37's up no trouble. Its an expensive set up. electric impact gun would be much less expensive and far more useful!

EDIT:

he possibly uses this kit from matt savage (i live a mile away from him, and use the small viair compressor for my lockers)

http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/Extreme-Duty-Onboard-Kit-10009.html

A 1/2" impact gun can use 5+ cu f per minute. The above viair is listed as 2.7 (is that each pump or total ?)

The arb in the first post is 1cfm (rounded off).

Buy a 12v impact gun. They're useful :)

G

I've got a snap on 1/2" 18v impact gun + its by far the most powerful battery gun apart from their new lithium battery gun, its better than a lot of air impact guns I've used too but it comes at a price £450 but now I've got it I'd never be without it,

I am going to do an air con pump on board air system but this will be mainly for tyre inflation, for air guns to work well you need lots of air reserve

• 3 weeks later...