Engine Replacement Options

Diablo

I am currently faced with three options as I see it, to replace my 200tdi.

1) New engine from turners - best part of £3000

2) new short engine from turners £1800

3) Disco engine (or that rare defender 200tdi), from a breaker/MOT failure and subsequent rebuild by myself. £?? 200-800 for initial engine?

The landy is my only vehicle, so it is immensely inconvenient to be without it, but equally not made of money.

What I would like is people's thoughts, who have done one or more of the above three solutions.

I would like to know what is likely to need to doing to an engine of unknown provenance, the time it would take to do it, and the additional cost. Are there any tests worth doing if the engine is still in the vehicle (eg compression)?

Also, is it even worth bothering considering the short engine route? Given the time needed?

The plan is to keep the car long term,so don't mind investing, but can't afford to spend money unnecessarily.Additionally it would be nice to have it ready again after the christmas break.

How dead is the engine you've got? Not a lot that isn't mend able about a tdi.

It put a rod through the side of the block, I would say that's one of the un-mend-able things :P

If you can afford it, and are planning to keep the vehicle, go for the new engine option. If you can't afford it, or don't plan to keep it long time, then get a Disco block and swap the rest over. You can do a rebuild if you like, but personally I wouldn't bother. You'd want to drive the vehicle, or at least see it running, before deciding though. Compression test wouldn't be a bad idea, as well as checking for smoking and poor performance etc. but there's not a great deal you can do from outside the engine :(

Having just had faced this very situation, I was lucky enough to find an ex-mod recon 300Tdi... I guess if you are fitting it yourself go for an ex-disco one as you can change it again if your unlucky enough to have it pop again!

if you have to pay for labour get a new engine, you don't want to have to pay it twice...

3k for the lump. I'd do all the work. Having spent a few months last year putting a new chassis on, I'm loathe to put a different sort of engine in.

Re: the short engine, what is likely to need replacing? And of course I don't know what damage, if any, my head has taken during the death of the current engine

may aswell take this opportunity to upgrade to a 300tdi :) especally as its the same price as a 200tdi.

I what way is a 300 an upgrade?

To the OP: i would rebuild a bottom end (just done my 200's) and throw it into the car. Its a very easy job to do. I've got 2 blocks sat i my workshop, both need a rebore and new pistons so that'd cost a few quid. My rebore, new pistons, all the seals and gaskets came to 750 quid from wards of rugby.

I what way is a 300 an upgrade?

To the OP: i would rebuild a bottom end (just done my 200's) and throw it into the car. Its a very easy job to do. I've got 2 blocks sat i my workshop, both need a rebore and new pistons so that'd cost a few quid. My rebore, new pistons, all the seals and gaskets came to 750 quid from wards of rugby.

There is a hole in the block...needs a new bottom end...

This is a tricky one... other than price its about your time and how much free time you have.... I think I'd go for a short engine... but there is a lot to be said about going for a 300tdi, the spares are a lot more abundant, will take a bit more planning and you'll always run up agains the "odd" fit problems...

Yeah if you've got money then go for a full engine, if not, do the short and re-build/clean the bits taken off your old lump.

There is no easy/cheap way of doing this.

With a 2nd hand unit, you'd be sick to your teeth if it goes pop after year and your back to square one.

Mav

Short if you need back on the road! Do Turners do a short minus head – as that’s presumably ok?

4th option: Might be cheaper (or possibly logistically easier) to buy a £300 banger with a few months MOT+tax, and drive that whilst you do a DIY rebuild. Then you know you’ve got a good engine…That would surely be less than £1800, and gets you mobile. Worst case, you can weigh the banger in at the scrapper when you’ve finished!

Actually I've got a 200 Tdi ‘Short’ on my drive out of a scrap Defender (I wanted the ancillaries to make my Disco lump into a Defender). But I’ve no idea of the condition of the bottom end – there aren’t any holes in it. J If you do decide to go for a DIY rebuild, you’re welcome to come inspect and remove for not much money.

FWIW: 200 vs 300 Tdi comes up all the time on here. My take on it is, it depends entirely on what you can find in a good condition for sensible money local to you. In your case however, you’d be mad to contemplate an ‘upgrade’ to a 300 Tdi – as you have a shiny galv chassis.

HTH

Matt

Right,

I've bitten the bullet and gone for Turners. I figured that long term it's probably the best option, especially as I need the car in early January for work, so time was a big factor too.

Thanks for all your replies, and your offer too Matt, much appreciated.

I certainly hope not!

blue haze: the base engine is £2095, delivery (for both ways) is £90, a timing & gasket kit is £90.

All of these figures are +VAT...

Additionally though, I had a £200 (plus vat) surcharge as my block is useless.

And if you wanted you can hand them another £100 (+VAT) for a performance head.

So near enough £3k