Green stuff pads or poooo

Frax

Hi all I was having some strange noises coming from don’t know where but it only happened after driving for 3 or more miles, I would then get a noise like a scraping fan.

Switched the heater on and off but this made no difference at all. Radiator fan off as it electric still no difference.

Checked both props as I just replaced them both a few weeks ago. found nothing wrong.

Checked all steering rods as these were replaced at the same time with heavy duty ones, still nothing.

Next was the wheels - on removing the wheels I found that my brake disks (drilled and grooved) to be blocked - all the holes and the groves with a pasty pooo stuff.

This was found to be coming from the pads which seamed to have went soft on the surface.

The wear groves in the pads were full of this paste - cleaned it all up on no more noise.

I think as he pads or disks heated the noise started - OK when cold.

These were recommended but I for one wont buy them again.

Has anyone else had any bad experiences with these pads.

All the best Frax

Don't know why but this has doubled posted.

ha ha,ive read quite a lot of bad stuff about them as i trawled the internett after mine had worn down,i actually thought my callipers were sticking they wore down that fast,considering they are meant to be better for offroad use i was pretty dissapointed

I had a set on the front of my 110 which lasted about 2 months until they were down to the wear indicators. Replaced with EBC which squealed like you wouldnt believe. They were swapped out for genuine which have been great ever since!

The problem might well be with drilled vented disks - acting like a cheese grater!

Si

I had a set on the front of my 110 which lasted about 2 months until they were down to the wear indicators. Replaced with EBC which squealed like you wouldnt believe. They were swapped out for genuine which have been great ever since!

The problem might well be with drilled vented disks - acting like a cheese grater!

Si

I would be very interested to know who actually made the Genuine pads.

What is wrong with LR4x4? It wont show the quotes and now wont let me edit!?

Anyway, I was going to say (for the 5th time) Ferrodo make the genuine pads, that is what came in my green box a while back.

G

I wonder how much the compounding differs from the UK/Europe to us in the east ?

Our aftermarket Ferodo 4WD pads come out of Thailand

Excellent pads but the rears squeal like a Banshee with dust on them, and considering I drive a hell of a lot of gravel that adds up to buckets of unwelcome noise :(

[edit] FWIW one of the engineers at DBA (Disc Brakes Australia ) advised me ten years ago to stay away from EBC.

In their testing they found them to be too inconsistent batch to batch, but bear in mind this was ten years ago.

His recommendation was Ferodo.

we have been using ebc green stuff pads with cross drilled and groved disks for quite some time...

You MUST break them in following ebc's instructions. The pads do not set until after ther break in sequence.

Also make sure you buy them from a reputable sorce as there are fakes out there!

I've used Ferodo, Mintex, and AP Lockheed (those were genuine parts) pads on mine and had no issues.

But then I have standard discs, no drilling or grooving. No point on a Land Rover in my opinion since A: it's not like it's a fast race car and B: they just fill up with mud etc. off road and this wears your pads down even faster!

Well I will have to order a set of mintex for my one. Thanks for the recomendations.

The EBC pads did not help the braking even with drilled and groved disks. I did expect them to wear down quicker with this type of disk which I dont mind if they are doing a good job.

Frax

My fronts are mintex and are great. The rears are Ferrodo, and they do squeal quite a bit for no apparent reason.
Fitted Mintex to the rear of mine and it sounded like I was using some cats to grip the disc with their claws any time I even thought about the brake pedal. Finally got hold of some oem anti squeal shims and it solved the problem .... mostly.

You MUST break them in following ebc's instructions. The pads do not set until after ther break in sequence.

Now, I didn't know that! They were fitted by someone else and nobody gave any indication they needed breaking in! Do you have more details?

Si

all brake pads whatever brand should be bedded in,normally its cycling 10-20 harsh stops to build up the heat without overheating the discs and pads to bed them and thats what i allways do including with the green stuff pads, in the link above is showing 300-400mile to bed the green stuffs in???? i seriously joking aside dont think i even got that milage out of the pads! i was recommended the green stuff pads as i was told they were better for offroad use but where are you going to fit that many road miles in a offroader? i do know the green stuff pads come in different grades so maybe i was supplied the wrong grade? but there is a lot of bad reviews about them if you do a google search

I have greenstuff 6000 on 2 defenders, pads were conditioned as per ebc guide, and have no issues. Enough bite to lock wheels. Much less squeaky than previous Mintex, just an occasional squeal first time the brakes are used after being stood for while. And they seem to give off very little dust.But they are dearer than others. Which grade of Ferodo do people use?