Nuts and bolts

Nigelw

Well it has been a right palarva trying to get simple nuts and bolts!!!!

I need new nuts and bolts for the "A" frame arms at the bushes and new nuts for the bolts on the fulcrum and new nuts and bolts for trailing arms to the axle.

Well I managed to get all the metric nuts and bolts easily but the fine threaded ones for the trailing arms, the fulcrum and the tops of the "A" frame arms cannot be had anywhere unless I want to wait 10 days for them from Land Rover!!!

Question is this, can I replace the fine threaded nuts and bolts with standard metric ones of same shank depths and nylocs as specified?

I kind of need to get my skates on here as I want/need to get the back axle on asap so the new wheels and tyres can go on it Thursday.

Many thanks in advance.

provided the tensile strength as as good or better -- 8.8 changed to the same or 10.9, it should not create a problem.

So do I take it the bolts I have listed are 8.8 or are they 10.9, the heads are so rusty they could be chro moly for all I know?

most likely 8,8, the bolt head will or should be marked http://www.hi-tensilebolt.com.au/Head%20Markings.html

Western that was not helpful!!! LOL Now I am even more confused, ok will do the lot in 10.9 tensile and then I will be happy knowing it is safe.

When I had cut them off I looked for a marking on them but by the time I had chipped off the scaly rust they just looked pitted!

Mike, I know what you mean about the nuts and bolts from screw fix and I was not happy with the fit and that was some 6yrs ago!!! Would recommend a local independant merchant over them, my life is worth more than a few pennies saved on the hard ware!!

Gwyn lewis has them in stock , I got new ones from him in November

I live in Belgium and it really is becoming a pain in the posterior to have to keep paying shipping from the UK, for some things I must unless I want to remortgage but for nuts and bolts, carriage would cost more than the hardware :blink:

I live in Belgium and it really is becoming a pain in the posterior to have to keep paying shipping from the UK, for some things I must unless I want to remortgage but for nuts and bolts, carriage would cost more than the hardware :blink:

For oddball nuts and bolts, see if there's a Fabory near you. You'll need a VAT number though, as they only sell to businesses.

If it's LR related, Joachim at British Car Parts can get it for you.

Gents,

Please do not mistake 10.9's as being "stronger" than 8.8's in all applications. Yes they are a higher grade material, but they are also less ductile and therefore more brittle.

In the application being talked about in this thread I doubt it will make much difference, but it is misleading to state 10.9's are always better.:)

For your information, fine pitched bolts have a higher tensile capacity and are better at resisting fatigue and vibrating loose than the equivalent coarse pitched bolt. You can also do them up tighter.

LR will have fitted them for a reason - they are not daft folk....

What Bishbosh said, dont just go substituting fine with coarse willy-nilly! If you're struggling to get hold of them, Paddocks do a suspension bolt kit for not much. Yes, you'll have to pay carriage from blighty, but at least it'll be a complete kit!

Failing that, find a 'proper' engineering supplier, not a Belgie-screwfixie type place!

For oddball nuts and bolts, see if there's a Fabory near you. You'll need a VAT number though, as they only sell to businesses.

If it's LR related, Joachim at British Car Parts can get it for you.

I use BCP for almost everything part wise but he didn't have the bolts in stock and De Pinte is a good drive from here LOL

I have heard of Fabory but only after a chat this morning with Guido my friendly Defender wrecker when he came calling to ask me to repair his rear cross member, tree stumps don't bend!!!

I have a BTW No. so no problem there, and will now be searching for them on the www. Thanks for that.

Failing that, find a 'proper' engineering supplier, not a Belgie-screwfixie type place!

Not so easy for me to find an engineering stockist as my pigeon Dutch is only just worse than my English, I did try a couple of motor factors but they didn't have fine thread and certainly not as big as I wanted(not so big compared to what I am used to but too big for them to have in stock). And as usual LR part numbers yielded blanks as far as getting them in for me.

And as usual LR part numbers yielded blanks as far as getting them in for me.

You know that most LR fastener part numbers can be decoded? I don't think it works for very early stuff, or probably the very latest vehicles - I've not looked - but certainly works for anything originating in the BL years. Have a look here. Sometimes useful if you need to modify something - if you need a bolt 1/2" longer than standard, you can figure out what part number it would have been given, then check to see if that exists. Sometimes it doesn't fit any LR product, but exists in the wider BL parts pool.

A couple of very minor points:

On the EP90.com site linked to by TSD there seems to be no feedback link, so I can't tell the owner that two links are no longer effective, as in the phrase "A good online review at Eco4WD" (referring to the Clamptite).

However, I trust this information will somehow percolate through the ether to the necessary person :-)

Cheers.

Thanks David, there's a lot of old and out of date stuff on there but I'll tweak the links when I get chance.

No feedback link because most of the feedback was machine generated - don't think I ever expected humans to read much of it :blush:

Thanks David, there's a lot of old and out of date stuff on there but I'll tweak the links when I get chance.

No feedback link because most of the feedback was machine generated - don't think I ever expected humans to read much of it :blush:

your Decoding LR Fastener Part Numbers link above works for me.