V8 Exhaust

A very (very!) rough drawing as to the differences from memory, not at all to accurate scale:

crossmembers.jpg?raw=1

The top spacing is the same. For the bottom you have to put an L shaped plate below and to the left to get it to be the same width & length as the defender one..

Yep Jon is spot-on with his diagram. I have just dropped my crossmember off to get welded up.

Everyday is a schoolday as i didnt realise the RRC/disco chassis was so much shallower than the defenders until i compared the disco crossmember against my defender td5 one....

I started with a new chassis and was originally going to use the discovery cross member. ... however I eventually decided on the later puma one with the pipes going above and effectively now protected. ....

But then I didn't use standard parts either....

I have the flatter box shape and I managed to get my pipes to go over the crossmember so as not to affect clearance.

Sound like it could be a 300tdi era crossmember. Mate the side flanges longer and mount forward of the crossmember itself?

hi guys, sorry it took me while to answer I was busy with my megasquirt installation and not watching this forum.

I ordered the following bits for my 110 which is an ex military 2.5NAS with a 3.5 efi flapper in it and the cast iron RRC 4-2 exhaust manifold pipes.

Front pipe RH - V8 3.5 EFI non catalyst 1986 to FA399972 NTC1864 -

Front pipe LH - V8 3.5 EFI non catalyst 1986 to FA399972 NTC1863 -

Manifold gasket (needs 2) ETC4524

Y Pipe NTC4061 -

Olive NTC1030 4 pieces

center section (silencer) NTC4614

rear section ntc1800

I have read though that others have adapted the front section (after the Y-pipe) to a TD5 rear end and I think I would have done the same knowing what I know now.

the Olives come in 2 sizes, can't remember if those above in the list are the big ones or the small ones, big one fits only on the front Y-piece to center section (and probably is ideal to adapt to the TD5 silencer part but not sure) but the flange bolts are then touching the olive.

post-101679-0-75426800-1467011358_thumb.jpg

here you can see the crossmember and pipes going over, one the vehicle left side i have about 8-10mm clearance to the crossmember but this seems fine, doesn't rub or buzz.

post-101679-0-36220700-1467011430_thumb.jpg

this is the vehicle left side, close but fine

post-101679-0-27615800-1467011478_thumb.jpg

this is vehicle right side, bit more clearance.

then I had a problem of the Y-piece to downpipes leaking (these were the cheap pipes from paddocks so might be the reason), so I ended up welding them to the Y-Piece and putting in a little expansion joint in front of my silencer, this has solved all the expansion and movement problems.

post-101679-0-93787900-1467011613_thumb.jpg

the Olives come in 2 sizes, can't remember if those above in the list are the big ones or the small ones, big one fits only on the front Y-piece to center section (and probably is ideal to adapt to the TD5 silencer part but not sure) but the flange bolts are then touching the olive.

then I had a problem of the Y-piece to downpipes leaking (these were the cheap pipes from paddocks so might be the reason), so I ended up welding them to the Y-Piece and putting in a little expansion joint in front of my silencer, this has solved all the expansion and movement problems.

I didn't need to use any olives on mine - the Y pipe mates straight up to the back box. It appears to have a corresponding bulge / mating face and doesn't appear to leak.

My Y pipes leak as well though - typical blue box bad quality :( We are going to weld them up at some point as well...

yes I considered trying to fiddle the welded downpipes to Y-pipes out but then just took out my crossmember in the end, thank god, made it so much easier, 8 bolts, spread the chassis ever so slightly with a little bottle jack and a piece of lumber as extension and suddenly things are so much more accessible.

I was really nervous that my welding would pull the downpipes and they wouldn't fit the cast iron manifolds, but it wasn't a problem. I tacked them into place in situ, then pulled the whole thing off and welded it properly on the bench.

and the most important thing... does it sound any good? :)

haha, not the loudest, I ended up taking the center piece with the blue box silencer out and putting in a "delta box" silencer, which sounds a bit better but nothing really angry or racy which i don't want anyway, don't want "ze Shermans" on my case (they are a bit finicky about their rules and regs)

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly OT - but has anyone who fitted a TD5 exhaust on a v8 tried without the mahoosive centre silencer in it? The v8 rumble is a bit muted, it needs to be a smidge louder (but not OTT loud!)

From looking at the TD5 threads, the centre silencer doesn't seem to do much noise wise - but they have a turbo and lots of smoke particles to dampen the sound... ;)

If anyone has a 110 TD5 with a straight through midpipe and is local to me, I wouldn't mind trying one to see what it sounds like... :)

I thought a few people might be interested in this ;)

Yeah, I think it will be a bit OTT as well - the rear silencer is pretty tiddly, and turbos dampen sound a lot...

It seems Allisport make a 90 smaller silencer:

http://www.allisport.com/product/allisport-land-rover-defender-td5-90-centre-silencer-removal-bullet-silencer/

but it's very tiddly and not available for the 110...

Guess the ideal solution is to buy a straight through pipe and stick a smaller silencer in the middle (or take it to an exhaust fab and get something made up - at least then they should have a selection of silencer sizes to tune the noise level...)

Ok not been on here for a year or two but keep getting updates on this topic so here's my experience. The original 90 v8 exhaust I left the back box in a put a straight through silencer instead of the large silencer. The sound was pretty perfect really, nice throaty burble etc. But not to extreme. So when I fitted the 4.6 and the td5 exhaust setup I was disappointed, first thing I did was remove the centre silencer and replace with a straight through pipe. Sounded good but much to loud for a road car, next thing I did was find a "sports" silencer, think it was sold to me as a jansport silencer, about 5" diameter and maybe 12" long this to was too loud aswell. The other issue with my setup and the td5 silencer is that it hangs low down. That's as far as I got until I gave up on the car and left it completely due to te Megasquirt issues I had. Hope this helps someone

• Like 2