clutch release bearing died after 4 hours

moose

any one seen this before...

post-1650-0-52294500-1366804341_thumb.jpg

dead one along side an old one.

The bearing has seized heated up and then collapsed as the plastic has melted away...

post-1650-0-91350000-1366804952_thumb.jpg

This was brand new and did a total of 4 hours running. its seemed fine when i put it on, and worked perfectly until all of sudden no clutch..

The box it came in was blue... yes i know and they will be getting it back.

The box of blue strikes again, the bearing probably seized and stuff started getting very hot...

Makes me mad. They might compentsate you for the part (if you are lucky), but what will they do to make up for your wasted time?!?!

I just picked up some parts from my local place. The chap plonked some Britpart shock absorbers on the desk. My dismay was obvious and i asked if they had anything else.... he came back with two armstrong shocks and i was happy again!

What was this on? Disco, Defender etc?

this was on my defender comp truck

Can you still get the rakeway release bearing? That works well.

Daan

yes there is defiantly an argument for getting an all metal release bearing

I think we should create a new forum, called 'General Britpart Bashing'.

Just out of interest, did you also fit a britpart clutch and cover?

Daan

yes was the britpart clutch kit

I wasn't bashing I was asking if some one had had this happen to them or seen it happen as it was a new point of failure to me. The bearing looked and turned perfectly before I installed it or i would not have out it in.

The old bearing was britpart and it still looked good after a year of some good abuse as did the whole clutch.

I know and accept the risks when i buy lower cost parts and fit them to try and help with the costs of my hobby on consumable parts that rarely stay on this truck for more than a year.

Had this failed in few days time in Croatia yes i would have kicked myself for not spending a few extra quid.. then opened a beer and just got on with it, chalking another one up to experience.

Paul

yes, better here than in croatia. did you check if the slave cylinder could be pushed back? I have had once that the pedal wasn't adjusted correctly, and wouldn't make a connection to the brake reservoir. this cause the bearing to be pushed against the clutch all the time.

Daan

yes, better here than in croatia. did you check if the slave cylinder could be pushed back? I have had once that the pedal wasn't adjusted correctly, and wouldn't make a connection to the brake reservoir. this cause the bearing to be pushed against the clutch all the time.

Daan

The slave was the first thing to check and that was fine,

I could push it back with into the cylinder and the pedal would move the piston forward etc..

My first thought was that is was the slave as the pedal went hard, with no bad crunching grinding noise that you normally hear from failure of the other bits in the clutch. When i dropped the box at first i could not see the problem until i took out the bearing.

I got the Rakway as I can do a fair bit of towing etc, and the clutch release bearing can get hot, it wont take much heat and pressure for the carrier housing to soften and sink into the carrier like that if the plastic is a bit duff...

We had one fail like that on a LT95 in a comp truck.

It was years old and had seen many a dunking in mucky water etc. My guess way the bearing seized first, got very hot and melted.

No idea what make it was.

I had that, but on a heavy duty bearing. I was teaching manual driving to a 16 year old earlier this year and he was riding the clutch like mad and we were at it for about 3 hours.

Anyway, bearing melted, about 1mm of clutch plate gone, rear crank seal temp hardended.

Not sure that helps or is relevant, but I would say that maybe check for crank leak if you had that much heat in there to make sure you don't put it back together and find you have to take it apart again to do the seal!

I just picked up some parts from my local place. The chap plonked some Britpart shock absorbers on the desk. My dismay was obvious and i asked if they had anything else.... he came back with two armstrong shocks and i was happy again!

Andy & Martin know not to offer me anything in a blue Box.... Martin positively loves ribbing me about it and always gives be a bigger Britpart box to carry the parts home in.... :)