Which Landrover is better and why?

GBMUD

My ideal would be a 90 that had the comfort on and off-road of the P38 Range Rover ;);)

Back in the real world I would have to say for off-roading the 90 is best in my opinion. Best approach, departure and ramp over angles with the ability to easily modify it for off-roading. I don't mind the lack of comfort, but if you could have the ease of modding and look of a 90 with a dry interior, decent ventilation/air-con and comfy seats then I wouldn't say no! ;);)

Steve :)

Hmm... Okay, I'll have a stab.

I've got two trucks at the moment:

Disco 300TDi manual, base model: Slow, noisy, agricultural, but practical. It doesn't do anything especially well, but it does it all adequately and without breaking the bank. Sensible but it wouldn't bother me to get rid of it if it no longer suited.

Range Rover Classic, V8 auto: Nearly all the toys - air suspension, viscous centre diff, ABS, traction control, leather memory seats, top of the range stereo, heated washers and windscreen... On LPG actually slightly cheaper on fuel than the disco but at the expense of lousy range. Pretty good for laning, despite long rear overhang, but I'm sure it'd show it's limitations if it was pushed a bit harder. Much better on the road than the disco. Unreliable money sink, spend more time fixing it than driving it, but it puts a huge grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Isn't remotely sensible but I'm not giving it up :D

It's all about emotion really, isn't it?

i think it depends what you want to do with it....

if you are into the winch challenge 'my winch is bigger than yours' scene, get a 90, the ramp over angle, overall length and (relative) lighter weight is a winner....

if you are going to drive around the world for a year, get a 110... the best expedition Landrover around, easy to modify, easy to make secure, loads of room, can sleep in it/ on it, looks sooooo cool...

if you've got loads of money, get a new rangie, so much more style than all the competition... even if it has got slightly dubious electrics/ build quality/ reliability...

if you need a Landrover to do everything, be good on the motorways, be a good weekend green lane warrior, be good for holidays and expeditions... get a disco...

if you don't realy need a 4x4... get a freelander. it might be the car that saved Landrover but its a bit rubbish realy isn't it... and nowhere near as good as the toyota or nissan equivilents.

i've got a Tdi Disco, its my only car... i did have a 110 hardtop but got tired of it being my only motor, as it was hard work on long journeys, looked a mess, and was either freezing or roasting depending on the weather......

for me, as i've only got one truck, and it has to do everything, the disco is an obvious choice... when i can afford to run two or more rovers, i'll have a 110 and a disco...

Funny but me and steve had this discussion on the way home last night. He commented on how well the Disco (200 tdi 150K 15yrs old) was towing the 90 (I was also impressed) and I mentioned that it was the same truck that 3 weeks ago was driving up the steps to the Gap on Pen y fan, then a week later in the wood on the farm, and in between a few long motorway trips at 85+ mph. I can pull up at the cattle market or the Walnut tree (5* restaurant) and not feel out of place. If i only was able to have one truch the Disco would have to be it

BUT

if I was doing any serious off roading it wouldf have to be a 90

and

if I was doing serious distance driving (inter-european) it would have to be a rangie

All depends on what you need the truck for. IMHO the Disoo is more things to more people than just about any vehicle currently on the road today. And yes I am biased.

I guess that was what i was trying to say, mr Farmer. you hit the nail right on the head.... in the last couple of months my Disco has taken us to the Sahara, been used for work, towed a couple of huge trailers, taken us out for reasonably respectable social do's.... even the mother in law will get in it without complaining too much...... and believe me, she complains about most things.......... ;)

disco/RRC is probably the best alrounder. does everything quite well.

personally ive always wanted a 110 commercial Tdi with full exo-cage etc etc etc, just cause i think it'd be a kewl truck. i got the disco as i couldnt find a Tdi 110 for sensible money at the time.

Funny but me and steve had this discussion on the way home last night. He commented on how well the Disco (200 tdi 150K 15yrs old) was towing the 90 (I was also impressed)

OT: Aha, it was you guys I saw and waved at on the A46. Blue D90 G13MUD coming the other way towing a caravan. :)

Chris

post-721-1159213474_thumb.jpgMy Discovery is excellent for me at the moment. It is the ideal family car for me, the wife and the two kids. It has been to Tunisa twice and is off for a third time this year. It is good off-road, North Wales, Exmoor, etc., good in the dunes of the desert, and practical for carrying all of the gear that we need to take. The journey on the motorways and autoroutes are comfortable and quick and it is dressed up to look like it means business.

My ideal vehicle for the future is either a 90 or a 110 depending on the sort of travelling that we do when the kids are older.

My only problem with the 90 that I had as a courtesy car (3000 miles on clock) was the gearbox ratio, Once you got to 35mph you were in top gear with nowhere to go. That said it really felt like a mean beast for off-roading.

Nick boy, where was that defender... tell me more.... its awesome...

i thought it was Iceland but its got Uk plates.......

Eastnor Castle last week... I was told it was a bit secret, but destined for the freelander launch in spain this week. It was actually built by special vehicles, see the land rover experience sticker on the side. I wanted a ride SO BADLY!!!

I also passed 8 vehicle carriers loaded with the new freelanders on Friday, all destined for the continent, looks to be pretty amazing!

If I only had one vehicle to do everything I think it would have to be a 110 CSW. Which is odd really as I'm selling my 110 CSW and keeping the 90 :blink: but that is because I will have another two vehicles to do the job of the 110 (get me to and from work and take me and the 90 to events)

I had a disco for a while (and a few old knackered RRC's) and it was nice to drive and was refined compared to defenders, but it had no soul so I sold it for the 110 which to me is the most practical/versatile land rover and it has soul/character.

I love driving defenders and will miss having one as a daily drive when my 110 goes.

I got my 110 as alternative to a van, as it was to be my sole transport and I don't like vans much.

I was bored with my previous car after a year or two. I don't think I'll ever get bored of the 110.

I think it's the fact that you're driving something individual, as each defender is modified in a small or large way to suit the owner's needs.

I like the driving style more than anything else I've driven (other than a TR6 :rolleyes: )

My 110 is my daily driver, a commuting mobile, a tractor, a skip, a platform, a bus, a kitchen and shelter. Bit of a swiss army knife of motoring. If there's something it doesn't do, well I can just change it to perform that function.

Any other car is just a car.

I've got a hybrid defender which i built to incorporate some of the best features of the land rover range.

1)Range Rover chassis for a stable on road ride, and a good compromise between the 90 and 110 off road

2)The defender bodywork as this doesn't rot (apart from the bulhead and door frame :rolleyes: ) like the disco/rangy

3)Discovery TDi engine and transmision for reliablity/strength/enconomy

4)More loadbed space than a 90 (those extra few inches make a big difference)

It suits my needs perfectly, a resonably comfortable road car, economical, capable off road, plenty of load space and it should last a few years.

As has been said above, 109 CSW because it's a swiss army knife. The extra inches do make a difference and it does everything - van, skip, taxi (more like tour bus), accomodation, mud plugging (the extra inches don't impede progress as much as some would have you believe) and above all it makes me smile. Everyone loves it, I went to a mate's wedding in it and a couple of guys I haven't seen for years were showing off how nice their shiny subarus/supras were, when I said "anyone want a lift to the reception?" I was nearly killed in the rush for the 109 :lol: they were very unimpressed :P

I bought it because I couldn't get insured on a transit van and it was the only thing you could get five sweaty teenagers and a load of musical gubbins into. Took it laning, got stuck, joined the SLRC and haven't looked back.

That said I have been well impressed with my RRC although you don't get waved at when driving it and it's more of a squeeze to get four people and a weekend's worth of gear into it.

Two for me

V8 auto Discovery because I love V8 autos, just stamp on the pedal and go and to hell with the ozone layer, anyway its only about 1 degree here today so we need some more global warming please. Discovery for me is quick, quiet, comfortable, stable on all types of surfaced and unsurfaced roads, space for four people and a ton of luggage if required, like the driving position, like the wireless, will tow if required, and it is much better looking than anything Yappanese. Most of the reputation about poor reliability is rubbish, I've had about half a dozen problems in the four years I have had it and none of them were expensive apart from the ticking diff which was a bad build from new so was covered by warranty anyway. I think the only bits I've had to buy in 34000 miles (besides service parts) have been a couple of viscous fan units, a couple of bulbs, a new set of tyres and a windscreen which got a rock through it. Hardly the stuff JD Power nightmares are made of....

Tdi 90 because its the best vehicle off road by a mile, easily modified to do what is required with big wheels/winch/roof rack, good clearance and angles all round, functional driving position that lets you see what is going on both on and off road and its the best thing by a mile for reversing a trailer with rearward visibility that is only beaten by a tractor. Nuts and bolts engineering that can be fixed anywhere. Depending on what I think of the new Defender when it arrives, it'll probably be replaced with a 110 Crewcab just for the extra space and comfort for people, but I'd like to have both :)

After having and using all current Landrover products from Freelander to new Range Rover

Settled on a 110XS SW, for everyday use for me, for all the same reasons as above, tows the horsebox/Hybrid/Rib/Rally car etc like it not there, not bothered, when its cover in mud/carp, inside or out, with the rack/Awning and roof tent on, sorts out camping at events, enjoy the XS spec, as I am a bit of a softie, elec window, heated seat, aircon etc

Other half is in her 5th Freelander, again doing a job of work, mainly horses, loaded with feed/hay, over fields

Erm, I have a disco, and I have a IIA. The sensible part of me says I have the disco as it was offered to me very cheap, is a diesel and a coiler (always been on leaves before) and means I don't use my nice clean Audi as a Van. The less sensible bit of me says I have it cos I love Disco's - I always have. I remember my dad taking an early 3 door out for a test drive when they were first released, and then subsequenlty buying an early five door on an 'H' plate from the dealers. It was my first real experience of four wheel drive, and I have wanted one ever since. I am not particulaly attached to it, but it does so many things well enough that I really do like it.

The IIA is a different story. I was my first car, my first real experience of building/restoring anything significant. When I was 16 I convinced my dad to buy it as a project. We then took it apart, and I spent the next few years putting it back together. It still gives me a real buzz to drive it as I know every nut and bolt on that car! Pretty much everything was done by me, or me and my brother or me and my dad, and sometimes even all three of us. If you want emotional attachment to a slow, noisy impractical, uncomfortable transformer green Brick, then there you have it.

We had a lightweight for a few years. Lightweights tend to be a love or hate thing. I know Chris hates them, but I loved ours (technically it was my mrs's landy). It was breathed on by ACR and went very well, and had a very boy racer exhaust. With the top down it was perfect. I don't regret selling it as such, but I wish didn't have to! I get too attached to cars...

I don't think any of them is the best land rover in the world, but they are mine! We have had the well reasoned arguments and I think I agree that this disco is pretty much the best all rounder (bar the rust issues :( ) but Chis, you asked for the more emotional responses. Honestly, I wish I could have an 80", a 101, a stage 1 CSW, a tricked up challenge prepped 90, an expedition equipped 300TDI 110 CSW, a range rover sport and a 3 door freelander soft-top (for the Mrs), but it aint gonna happen!!!

As it happens, my favorite car (of my 3 - IIA Diesel, Disco 200 TDI, A3 TDI Quattro Sport), is whichever one I am driving at the time! :D

Mark

We had a lightweight for a few years. Lightweights tend to be a love or hate thing. I know Chris hates them, but I loved ours (technically it was my mrs's landy). It was breathed on by ACR and went very well, and had a very boy racer exhaust. With the top down it was perfect. I don't regret selling it as such, but I wish didn't have to! I get too attached to cars...

Mark

I bought the lightweight from Mark and have to agree that it is fantastic with the roof off (although wildy inpractical), and while lightweights may be a love or hate thing the number of people who come up to you and say I wish I had one of those is amazing. Having said that I am also quite fond of my Dad's V8 110 CSW (my first landrover driving experience) and the 109 pick up which I currently have tucked away in a garage (and was also my first landie). For me I run the lightweight purely as toy and it fits the bill perfectly.

Steve