Viscous fan removal

Any tips on how to remove a stuck viscous fan?

The belt doesn't have enough tension to allow me to remove it, is there anywhere I can safely hold onto?

And yes, I know it has an opposite thread... :P

Cheers,

Mike

Have you tried hitting the spanner with a hammer whist yanking on the belt to get it as tight as possible? You can transmit a lot more force through 'impulse' and I find a few strong taps usually loosens it! Otherwise I'm not too sure on a 300. On the 200 the pulley its mounted to there is a hole you can stick a screwdriver or similar into if it's really stuck - I'm not sure if the 300 has similar!? Oh and squirt plenty of plusgas or whatever on the nut, every little helps!

In extreme cases I have actually gone as far to remove the whole waterpump and and clamp the pulley in a vice...

Jack.

On a 300 you can lock the pulley using the 4 bolts hold ing on.

You might be able to get away with wedging a screwdriver between two and pulling against that but it would be likely to slip off if not carefull, otherwise a C spanner type of thing might work.

I designed and made a special spanner which picked up the heads of 3 of the bolts and could then be used to hold the pulley part still, they were cut from 5mm steel and sold at a couple of shows last year via a friend. I still have a couple left if you are interested, not to difficult to make something yourself just time consuming and a bit fiddly.

Apply some heat to the nut using a small blowtorch, turning the fan a bit as you go to even it out and stop the plastic fan getting too hot.

This normally makes all the difference. Either carefully carefully lever a screwdriver Between pulley and pump or use a thin bar or screwdriver in the hole in the side of the fan pulley to give extra leverage.

Rag in the belt, that was the ticket... oh and the old trick of tightening hard first then un-doing, but then I do that automatically with all nuts! Weird thing about the fan is that it's of centre, that'll be a new one then...

Weird thing about the fan is that it's of centre, that'll be a new one then...

The fan, the coupling or the bearing on the pump? I have a spare set of blades and the centre carrier that bolts to the viscous coupling of you need it - they are from my TD and the same as the 200tdi, not sure about the compatibility with the 300tdi.

The fan, the coupling or the bearing on the pump? I have a spare set of blades and the centre carrier that bolts to the viscous coupling of you need it - they are from my TD and the same as the 200tdi, not sure about the compatibility with the 300tdi.

That's really kind of you! It's the viscous coupling that's off center...

I'm feeling like moving to electric fans might me the way ahead...